Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

Interesting. He retweeted that a month ago and then tweeted it himself a full month later. Maybe he is trying to drop a hint? Although, if he was, its very vague.

3 Likes

Maybe, while pointing out the VR is great, heā€™s indicating that thereā€™s a more fundamental problem that needs to be fixed.

5 Likes

Ah good point. Maybe that VR is there, sure, cool, but the planets need addressing. I can see that now. Hmmā€¦

I mean, he posted that right after acknowledging the community of speculators and hype train riders so perhaps he posted that intentionally knowing that we would see it as a hint? Perhaps.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Its hard to be a NMS fan right now lol the anticipation is killing me.

5 Likes

Definite ARG feel happeninā€™ :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Maybe the skull represents an upcoming universal reset?

4 Likes

Maybe, we can hear it comingā€¦ iā€™m so excited!

2 Likes
Spoiler picture

Apparently from xbox store according to reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/hryyfw/no_mans_sky_desolation_has_appeared_on_the_xbox/

Reading the comments, a few people confirming they saw it as well.

7 Likes

If this is genuine, and not just the internet doing its thing, then that is totally not what I expected. Lol. If this is real, then the image is old and likely a placeholder.

3 Likes

The above is fan made. Nothing official but the Desolation rumor is making the rounds.
Some even fear it is the end of NMS but, I would not go that far.

4 Likes

NMS Version 2.60 just Downloaded for PS4

5 Likes

Nothing official about the release yet, but for some reason already available on console? On Steam it is still on the internal branch only. Makes me wonder if this was meant to be, or just a big mistake somewhere along the line.

5 Likes

Steam update is now live, 5.9GB.

PS4 update is about 11GB.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Alright. Speculation rant:

So after going through the full patch notes, this is a pretty cool update! Much needed tweaks and improvements! And the derelict freighters is exciting and is foreshadowing ALOT of the the future. However, this is not yet the anniversary update. This is one of the nice smaller ones that have been coming every two months.

So a few things:

My theory of the anniversary update coming in september seems more likely now. considering that there is enough weekend missions to last till september.

This update dropped in the middle of the new weekend mission lore. Not sure what to think of that. But the weekend missions have been all the same(Nexus-portal-planet-fetch quest-nexus)besides the text. I wonder if they are going to shake them up a little by going to new places? SM did say ā€œan eventful summerā€. So perhaps this is what he meant? Now im interested in doing weekend missions again. Too bad I wont be able to for another week(in the middle of moving)

The 4chan leaker guessed a combat update right too now. So the rest of his leak is starting to seem more believable. Still, take the leakers info with some skepticism as things can still change.

I cant remember where I heard this but these small updates are actually pieces of the larger update. The leaker also mentioned the same thing too regarding exomech. I have yet to see the inside of the derelict freighters but if the procedural generation of the interiors is as good as it sounds, then this mechanic and generation ability can easily be used and abused again for space stations, ground buildings, dungeons, cities, ect. And it may possibly be that this is just a taste of it. That is exciting to think about.

AutoTurrets are now introduced and the turretā€™s mechanics can be expanded upon tooā€¦ just speculation. But there was big turrets in the games files from way back, they could finally be ready to release?

Man, I want to dive into the Desolation update badly right now.

8 Likes

A spoiler item was accidentally found in this update and spilled into the update by what seems to be an accident. Spoiler video below of it.

Summary

NO LONGER THERE The Flamethrower Multitool Weapon No Man's Sky Desolation Update | EPILEPSY WARNING! - YouTube

3 Likes

This may answer @MacForADay 's question about whether this is a bug or not. Apparently it is an accident.

4 Likes

Definitely something Hello Games ā€˜forgotā€™ about! In the modding community I had already shown it before they found out you could find it in-game as well. Nothing goes unnoticed! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Rampant Speculation Detected :grin:

Perhaps the long-awaited freighter overhaul will come this anniversary including the new derelict freighter interiors made available for us to play with?
(Iā€™m still finding the clipping when entering/exiting the hanger with a large-winged starship irritating).

Iā€™m hoping that the external appearance of the interactable derelict freighters will get some more varietyā€¦perhaps using the other ā€˜mystery findā€™ freighter wrecks as bases for this variety.

The new procedurally generated interiors have me wondering if similar finds on planets (like wrecks, ruins or maybe large alien bases), might be possible.
Hello Games seems to often get an idea & run with it so taking this concept of PG interiors further seems likely to me.

Maybe something that combines this creepy organic direction; (living ships & infestations etc.) Like;
Organic (living) PG freighters maybe.
Or
In-space-nasties; that chase you and attack (like pirates but creatures of some sort).
Or
Some sort of new parasitic attack on our bases or freighters that we need to combat.

Iā€™ve noticed that sometimes if I park my freighter/Capital Ship in an asteroid field & one intrudes in the hanger space, that although invisible, I can walk up on it.
Maybe asteroid harvesting using a new short-range space exocraft will be introduced.

Iā€™m going to take a leap into wild speculation here & suggest that the anniversary update will feature a:
new insidious parasitic nasty, picked up while harvesting asteroids that will sometimes invade our freighters or frigates & that this will need to be eradicated (using a new in-space exocraft) & the newly discovered flame thrower weaponry, already leaked.

7 Likes