Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

I have been wondering about GOG and in all honesty, even a bit worried. There has not been a single mention of GOG specifically and we know that multiplayer on GOG is handled somewhat differently. I assume HG worked on integrating GOG, but would be great to have confirmation of this being the case. Would hate to see you guys being late to the party once again.

1 Like

Yes, it has me worried. The icon exists in the pak at least.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any need for that. Crossplay basically demands that you have your own matchmaking independantly of platform APIs. Unless those APIs implement crossplay features by themselves, which I guess is not impossible, but I have no idea if thatā€™s the case.
The difficult part was making it work at all on GoG, because GoGs API was a bit lackluster in that regard, but from my understanding they had to replace most of those calls anyways.

I think the patch notes made it pretty clear how the icons are handled: You see members of your own platform with the icon of your platform, you see everybody else with the generic icon.

2 Likes

Yes. That means others were not on Steam. Once they join your team then you are supposed to see the correct icon. However, that never worked.
Anyway, Verizon has declared the pandemic over and yanked the extra high-speed data limit so it will be about an hour before I can get the 2.8 GBs
ZOOM is lovely at 600kbs and less

1 Like

Oh, I wasnā€™t aware of that. The way it sounded to me, I thought youā€™d never see the ā€œrealā€ icons.

1 Like

Iā€™m just slightly worried because we didnā€™t get an experimental this time on GOG. And still no build as far as I can see.

2 Likes

Well, GoG has always come last. Letā€™s wait and seeā€¦ Not that Iā€™m particularly waiting for this specific update.

1 Like

Was just in the Anomaly. Found willing participant. Joined group. Win10 issues set in. Headset not working. Tethering suddenly stopped. NMS died while I was windowed out. That is my experience so far. :laughing: :sob:

1 Like

So far, entering the Nexus with multiplayer on makes me crash on PS4, so need to wait for them to fix that.

4 Likes

So I am wondering, like others, what planet names we will see when visiting a claimed system. While waiting to see that my win10 issues are worked out, I visited the old ECSD system in the starchain. I found my old home system and entered it. In the Discoveries tab, the latin names I gave the planets still show even though the planets scan as undiscovered. When I land on the planets, the name I gave them disappears and reverts to the original name. The system name, however, remains the same Latin name I gave it back before NEXT. When I entered the system it showed that I discovered it. So names have always been a strange thing in NMS. Since there are issues even within my own game, it will be interesting to see what happens across platforms.

6 Likes

Yeah, itā€™ll be hard to tell when database issues are crossplay related, as these kinds of issues always happened intermittently. Iā€™ve had the game occasionally tell me Iā€™ve just made first contact with my starting planet upon landing. Reloading usually quietly corrects it to being discovered two years ago. For months the game has forgotten discovered creatures on my home planet (and others) between play sessions. Re-scanning them sometimes acts like theyā€™re new, while other times it suddenly realizes, oh yeah, found those two years ago too.

5 Likes

Hmmā€¦ after all the little bugs and finding out more how the whole crossplay thing works, I think a reset might still be possible in the future now. Perhaps. Also, I canā€™t say if the new weekend event story is going to end when the anniversary update begins, but if so, there are enough weekend evens to last till mid-september but that is the END of summer. Ofcourse, they can always drop the update before the weekend evens finish. They did say that cross play wasnt everything they were working on and said that they were aiming for an ā€œeventful summerā€. So unless summer begins in september for them, then perhaps the update may drop earlier?
Crossplay seems like a beta test right now. Its not even working at all on ps4 for some people(myself included). And the weekend events arent really anything new, just some tidbits of story. So this doesnā€™t seem like the big one. HG stated that they have been working on somethung else in secret the last few months that is ā€œSomething to allow everyone in the community to benefit from the influx of new playersā€¦ā€ so perhaps we are getting something to do along side the weekend missions? Hmmā€¦ exciting.

4 Likes
10 Likes

So this is cool. I was hoping what she said was more than just talk.

7 Likes

Oh! This is very intriguing. I wont spoil anything from the weekend mission lore I read but when I read it I didnā€™t think it would be anything more but just the usual text. Wow. If things like this are going to happen, this means that I missed a few relevant things.

3 Likes

Yip saw ā€¦er did not seeā€¦ this in my gameplay today :thinking:

4 Likes

I know that Ariadne was in the Nexus right after 2.53 downloaded, so it didnā€™t happen then. They must have made that change via servers like when they add quicksilver items and such.

Edit: Also, I wonder if all the NPCs that donā€™t sell things are going to disappear over the next few weeks

5 Likes

Repost from reddit

Ariadneā€™s last conversation in the Anomaly

12 Likes

So, Sean Murray just acknowledged the hype train for a summer update. Lol.

10 Likes

A hint? Something coming to a moon near you?

6 Likes