Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

Maybe somebody should list all the current content, and do a diff between the versions.
@DevilinPixy I know you have done the diffs before. Care to explain how it’s done?
We could stop this misinformation. EDIT: Do you use this Getting Started | No Man's Sky Modding Wiki | Fandom

Big problem is, I didn’t get a new experimental on GOG. But I could list the exomech info.

I watched it too and got a bit excited. I don’t need this false hope.

4 Likes

It does require some tools to be able to ‘unpack’ and de-compile the game files. Once that is done, you have all the source files and can turn most into a readable format (.mbin to .exml). With a new version you basically do the same to then be able to compare against. You can compare just the files themselves, or you can compare two versions of the same file to find changes within. Basically as simple as that. Then of course depending on how well you understand these changes, you can attempt to draw conclusions.

The link you provided is useful to get you started with modding the gamefiles. You could also visit the NMS Modding Discord where all the cracks hang out and are willing to help. You will also find information for various tools used as well as links and more.

I strongly doubt it is willful intention, but how information comes across strongly depends on how you represent it. Before you know it, it starts a life of its own.

2 Likes

Can’t stop the signal, Mal! :laughing:

2 Likes

I think whoever the streamer was, is referring to new text found in the localisation files. To be more specific, the NMS_LOC5_ENGLISH. I have done a compare and some cleanup to show the differences only. This new text is mostly related to new multiplayer missions for the Nexus.

SPOILER!!! Eat your heart out

ARE YOU SURE? :link: Pastebin

2 Likes

That may be it. I read the whole thing just now. it looks like weekend mission stuff alright. If so, looks like weekend missions didn’t change at all other than actually having a bit of story to it.

2 Likes

I will wait…trying…to … Be … Good…wait…wait… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Well, on June 5th, Sony was supposed to have a big ps5 unvealing along with rumoured reveals of games for ps5. We can’t say forsure that we were going to get NMS news on the 5th since it was moved but we did get an 3xpiremental build revealing crossplay on the 5th.

Now the Sony event is officially moved to the 11th. We’ll see if we get any NMS news on that day. If we do, it will likely just be nothing too surprising and just be something that seems obvious, such as NMS coming to PS5.

Maybe HG will add to it and say more about about it atleast this week(or not). Either way, im keeping my ears open to anything new.

3 Likes

Here is some info for fun. May be completely fake so don’t get too hyped.

3 Likes

This is a post that many have seen by now and online community has been speaking about. Its hard to believe the source, even though the crossplay feature came true. I mean, crossplay seemed like it was going to come at some point anyways and the direction games are heading to and consoles are official supporting now. Thus, saying that crossplay is going to come to NMS is as easy to fake-leak, and come true, as saying that more games are going to come to crossplay too. The rest of it is stuff desired by the community for years. Hopefully the supposed leaker is right though. It would be our favorite update if so.

3 Likes

I do find that list plausible. People are saying that “it’s just everyones wishlist”, but the thing is that the two core features talked about here are interlinked.
If HG has been focusing predominantly on procgen for the past half year (which is one of the major feature requests, after all), then the improvements listed are a feasible and logical step.

I think there’s a misunderstanding in the “orbital mechanics” part. Note that it does not mention moving planets, but instead more context-aware biome generation that is less random and more bound to rules. I think it’s a somewhat unfortunate formulation to call it “orbital mechanics”. I don’t see orbital motion coming back, but the listed improvements of making positions of planet mean something for their properties is exclusively related to procgen. So it would pretty much go in the same wash-up as the other changes to procgen.

The only other two listed features are all but confirmed: A new enemy, and crossplay. This could of course mean that somebody just made something up and then added confirmed features to the list to make it more believable.

In any case, I’m not saying this list is real. I wouldn’t have any clue about it. In technical terms, however, it seems very feasible that HG would have been capable of achieving it in the time given if they focused on procgen, and that there’s good reason to believe they did so because it’s the most requested thing.

4 Likes

Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) Tweeted:
No Man’s Sky Crossplay!

:rocket: Crossplay between all platforms
:milky_way: Improvements to Lobbies and Groups
:balloon: Speech Accessibility Options
:mechanical_arm: VR Full body
:space_invader: Speech to Text
:video_game: Win 10 Store
:gift: Free for Game Pass
:artificial_satellite: New Networking backend

Available Tomorrow :heart:

https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/06/introducing-crossplay-for-no-mans-sky/ https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1270703138199277570/photo/1 https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1270703138199277570?s=20

5 Likes

@Jupiter.blues: I have edited the @NoMansSky to not actually ‘mention’ a suspended account on this forum, but instead linked it to the correct Twitter account

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Also, I know this is not the anniversary update. But I guess no universe reset? At this point, I don’t expect it at all now. I wonder how this crossplay works now. Does each consosole keep their universe? when joining a game with a player from a different gaming platform, do we join their universe? Are we free to explore theirs? How would we return to ours? I’m a bit confused here.

3 Likes

3xperimental experinced no reset. I have failed to find a group that is interested in actually going someplace together. Wish I could answer that question. @MacForADay raised a good question. What planet/system names will show? Will we actually share our universes? Will they travel to our currently existing bases or will we share a new universe together? I should be able to answer these questions. I did discover that I could travel freely between my bases in several different universes while in a group. But none in my group followed, however, none of them accepted a Friend List invite. I believe you must be on the NMS friends list. Wish I could explain in more detail but I need cooperative participants to do so. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I will only be able to join tomorrow maybe. The experimental version did not come to GOG this time.

2 Likes

I am on GOG also, so it will have to be tomorrow. Finally GOG players will not be an isolated group anymore!

2 Likes

For all I know, we have been testing between Steam 3xperimental and Xbox/Microsoft insiders only. On Steam we have been able to use our existing saves, while ‘insiders’ all had to create a brand new save. This made me believe that the cross-play has been tested on the Steam (PC) universe only, so there was likely no Xbox/MS universe at all.

What the full cross-play will be like when it comes to universes that already exist, remains to be seen. There has been quite a bit of speculation about it, as we can all imagine how differences in universes can likely cause some weirdness when combined with cross-play. I can personally not imagine any way to fully overcome differences unless everything is merged into a single universe to pull data from. Considering a merge to be unlikely, they’ll likely have to pick a universe for the player with a ‘leading’ role to sync with. How transitions in and out of MP are handled also has me wondering.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what HG has come up with. I truly hope they figured it all out, for a smooth experience where changes of ‘universe’ somehow go unnoticed.

3 Likes

If only I could have gotten some of the generic icon peeps to talk and answer some questions.
One difference for me, I am no longer in lobbies filled with Russians but now it is filled with Spanish speakers. I do understand some Spanish but still, no answers. I tried. :laughing:
NMS update in progress…2.8GB

3 Likes

Still nothing on GOG :sob:

2 Likes