Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

SM retweeting himself tweeting about himself… :laughing: :thinking: (technically about someone with his name writing an article about him) :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :crazy_face:

7 Likes

It’s extra meta because the article is about trusting Hello Games’marketing and the author’s name makes it seem like HG is deceptively writing about themselves.

3 Likes

Perhaps cities or even just larger settlements are not the pipe dream we all thought…

https://twitter.com/marian42_

6 Likes

Interesting thing in the comments. One guy sees “Endless procedural city”, thinks “BLAME!” He’s not I, but we do seem to think alike…

2 Likes

Procedural cities/interiors isnt exactly new, its just that they aren’t done on a large scale nor as good as this guys game he made. This would be a great feature in gaming. Urban exploring would be cool.

4 Likes

Not exactly new, just the person is a relatively new hire at HG and cities/more complex settlements have been a long wished for update feature. Seems appropriate.

4 Likes

I think the original intent was to avoid things that would encourage planet-squatting. Of course, HG then added Base Building fairly soon, so anything is possible.

The other aspect is that cities greatly reduced the original intent of feeling alone in a vast universe. Then again, HG added multiplayer, but at least tons of NPCs and cities were still absent.

Adding cities, for me, would significantly change the game, decrease the game’s emotional impact, and make playing less enjoyable (for me).

3 Likes

A huge abandoned city can be emotionally quite impactful, I think.

In any case, I sure hope they wouldn’t be on every planet, so you probably still could stay away from them if you wanted to.

6 Likes

I’d be okay with small cities. No impact change really, just larger trading posts, or space station plus abandoned/destroyed cities would be cool.

4 Likes

I think explorable but uninhabited buildings could add interest, especially if new “stuff” and perhaps lore would be discoverable.

Perhaps added remnants of civilizations could increase in frequency as you “progress” to other galaxies

5 Likes

I just wish I could clean up the abandoned buildings and move in. If only I could pick up that overturned lamp… :grin:

4 Likes

LOL. I mean we’re trapped inside during a pandemic. At least let us clean house!

4 Likes

I’ve had an increased desire to reorganize and redecorate. Lol. Even in game. Lol.

For those who didn’t see Sony’s event today but are wondering if No Man’s Sky was in it. It was not. Only the console prices were announced and more footage of other games.

Edit: I must add that the lack of a NMS mention is actually an important one. For now, it doesn’t seem that NMS will be a free upgrade to a PS5 version. Nor does it seem that it will be part of Sony’s version of game pass.

5 Likes

Oh, another thing to add. Now that we know the game comes out in November, this can also be significant to NMS. Every 2 months we have been getting a small update. So with another one due likely this month, the next one would land in November assuming they stick to the 2 month update frequency. Just in time for next gen consoles. What does that mean? Well, nothing since we don’t know what HG is thinking. Lol. But a major update in November seems a little bit more likely as both Microsoft and Sony would likely want every developer they can find to tie their new game releases and major updates to the release of the new hardware to help give more incentive to upgrade to their newer hardware. However, this is HG we are talking about here. They suprise us every time.

3 Likes

maybe, but honestly I think I would be surprised if they optimized for the new systems. The game will probably take advantage of additional ram etc, but I don’t see a lot of development time spent on supporting the various new consoles. Hopefully they are spending what man hours they have on new content, though with a new game in the pipes, updates might get smaller and less often. But no one knows.

2 Likes

I would be surprised to see it this early. I do assume they would do it at some point, but probably not right on launch date…

2 Likes

Hopefully not.
The past series of huge updates has brought literally millions of new players into the NMS universe. It would be strange to bring NMS up & beyond the game it was always supposed to be & then just move on.
I think they will give it a bit more love for a while longer yet & I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the next big updates includes making it PS5 compatible.
I hope so. I’ve been toying with ordering a PS5 or maybe even just getting another brand new PS4 before they are obsolete; (mine is ancient & has had a full life).
Either way, I’d like to continue playing NMS for a few more years if I can.

2 Likes

Many of the major updates were done with a small team back then. So although the team split, they still seem to have a good sized team to do major updates still.

I doubt this game will go away any time soon as this game didn’t just put HG in headlines but it helps to draw attention to their other titles. Besides, SM sees this game as his childhood dream game. Unlike most CEO’s that make games based on what they think would sell AND dont do the work themself for a game, SM is passionate about the game and still works on it himself.

3 Likes

Honestly, that would seem like the logical thing to do to me… At some point they will probably get tired of it.

2 Likes

It should come as no surprise that when they added procedural freighter interiors, they were abandoned, infested and incredibly creepy. Any procedural city/dungeon in NMS should be the same.

3 Likes