Advanced jump system

So, I instulled “Rocket Boots” in my exosuit. The description says that it’s an “advanced jump system”, and tells me to “press space rapidly” to use it. Space is also maped to my jetpack, which I think is default. In any case, nothing happens when I do that. Apart from the jetpack stuttering on and of, naturally.

So… has anybody gotten this thing to work?

2 Likes

I have the upgrade. I think all it does is provide a quick boost on take-off. Without it you get a slow rise from the ground.

1 Like

POSSIBLE TANTALISING BIG SPOILER:
I have noticed that occasionally as a spaceship flies over head my Jump Systems activates then fades? I have never had the opportunity yet but does this mean we can jump or be teleported onto a passing ship, maybe making a split second dramatic escape in times of trouble. Like get a lift from friend? That would be amazing.

Sorry guys about all the secrecy. I don’t want to spoil things for casual readers of the thread.

THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED (as far as I know) in my latest post on this here

3 Likes

I don’t know but, I do know that ships now come dangerously close when I am standing on a hill…I have had several very, very close calls. Ships are so close they throw dust and dirt up so heavily I can’t see and the ground shakes as they zoom past. Feels like I am standing in the middle of a raceway! :scream: If you decide to try it, make sure you make a solid SAVE FIRST… :laughing:

3 Likes

Higher-level movment mods do that as well (initial boost), so I don’t quite see a reason to install a separate tech for it. I feel like there’s something missing here (from the game, that is).

1 Like

I don’t have to boost but I might suggest… After the initial jetpack rise into the air, THEN rapidly pressing the space bar. Perhaps it is a pulsed boost rise?

TQQdles™

1 Like

I tried that of course, no difference that I can make out.
Maybe I’m just not pushing rapidly enough, but in that case that tech is pretty much for exclusive use by keyboard athletes…

I love that, I’ve yet to have one fly that close and leave dust on my shoes but they definitely fly closer, like they did in the very firt game release. That makes for far better screen grabs as you get far more drama, instead of tiny little ships flying so high. It’s great! I think it’s brilliant.

Since the update @jedidia I’ve now only one Jetpack boost C or A I think it is (shall have to check). I had all three so I guess I am missing any bonus at present until I fill the remaining slots.

The ‘Jet Pack Surge’ effect HAS BEEN SOLVED (as far as I know) in my latest post on this here

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s just a glitch…if it was an intended feature you’d be allowed to do that when the ships were docked too…plus there’s no way in hell you could be separated from your ship. The only intended way of hitching a ride with someone is via docking on their freighter…though that’s bit bugged out too. I once had another player dock on my freighter and the lights went red…the freighter closed off the docking bays…and you you’re on another player’s freighter when they warp right now there’s a good chance you’ll find yourself floating in spade and dying shortly after…but these issues are being patched.

1 Like

Perhaps you are right. I actually get text though printing on screen (not small) that tells me this is happening on screen. That makes me think perhaps it is a feature, maybe yet to be unlocked. First time I didn’t think anything of it but a second time, I became intrigued and then noticed a ship was close by at the time, Whatever it means it’s exciting. Maybe it is an update to come.

Sorry guys about all the secrecy. I don’t want to spoil things for casual readers of the thread.

THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED (as far as I know) in my latest post on this here

1 Like

There’s nothing to spoil…the feature doesn’t exist and if it were ever implemented it would first be shown off via screenshots/gameplay footage…but it’s literally just a bug…like sometimes when you’re on a space station pressing left on the d-pad doesn’t give you the system information like it should but the game instead stars messing with your terrain manipulator target size as if you were going to start mining the space station. Does that mean that surely mining on stations is a hidden/coming feature? Hell no…it’s just a bug.

1 Like

I just got the same installed (PC) and of course attempted to figure out how to actually use this. It is explained as a specific feature, enabled by repeated presses of the <space> key. I went as far as setting up a macro for this after all manual attempts failed. A single mouse button to attempt 10 <space> presses in a row, with varying delays inbetween. NOTHING happens, so I have given up. I honestly have no clue what this tech is supposed to do, while shown as a special feature. I guess it’s just another bug to fix, or a failed attempt at explaining something, which is nothing new either …

2 Likes

A bit off-topic, but wanted to share my experience with a random player joining my game. Dangerously close ships indeed, as this player attempted to land on top of me after we said our goodbyes to be on our own way again. His landing attempt on top my head nearly got me killed.

3 Likes

I think I worked out what is happening when I get the ‘Jet Pack Surge’ and ‘Surge Fading’ words on screen. It appears that when you pick a plant that gives you platinum (a blue one I think) you have a few seconds to jump or jet a great distance. A power boost if you like. :grin:

My earlier post is now solved! The Jet Pack Surge is nothing to do with ships flying close by and is not correct. I think it was just a coincidence and the ship must have flown by just after I had picked a plant. Or maybe it was a plant I shouldn’t have picked and left me hallucinating.

I haven’t tried picking a blue plant and then immediately trying the repeated space bar mashing you wrote of @DevilinPixy. But holding the jump button down I seemed to fly quite a distance.

3 Likes

I thought I had it suddenly working for a moment, then I realised it was because I was on a dead planet. I don’t know if this is a feature of all dead planets, but on the one I was on jetpacking was a lot of fun. weeeeeee!

Love jet pack surge :slight_smile: did not realise this is what you were talking about at the time of your post.

I may be imagining things but I believe the effect stacks if you pick several plants at once. And if you’re fortunate enough to glitch the physics when sprint/melee/jetpacking, you’re in for quite the trip :slight_smile:

It’s made wandering without an exocraft an absolute delight, I mainly do a left click scan now just to see if there any blue plants close by. Much better than recieving platinum any day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder too if the Jet Pack is affected by planets with low gravity, for example we might travel higher and further with each tap of the space bar. Maybe the dead planet mentioned in the above had a low gravity affect. So a planet lacking in plants makes up for travel in low gravity. Heck whatever your’re right @toddumptious about it being fun!

I found out todaythe whispering egg predators that spawn don’t like water much. I kept diving in a pool to escape. The followed me a short distance but as I jetted further away they all dropped off or burrowed, except for one nasty one. LOL it was actually scary for a brief moment to look back and see it’s silhouette climb over the ridge haha Runnnnnn Jumpppppp!

1 Like