3xperimental (Steam)

No idea…by the sound of it, it is a conflict where Memory space is being shared but is causing a conflict by doing so.
When I reload into the settlement area on the PS4 there is serious lag as it constructs & then it settles once it’s done. It’s so bad I choose to never do this because past experience has seen this level of lag turn into a hung screen or ultimately a crash.
Better to load in further away and approach so the area generates progressively rather than trying to do it all at once.
I know the little PS4 is pretty piddly compared to a PC & my understanding on how it all works is limited however it does make sense that the less the computer has to think about all at once, the easier it can do its thing.

5 Likes

A swastika is pretty easy to build… It’s also not very tough to use base parts to form letters, and letters are the cornucopia of offensiveness.

4 Likes

People can get offended by just about anything.

For example (no offence meant)

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe I’m just too easy going to get offended by crude creativeness. I just find it funny.
I do get the idea of removing a base that restricts access to a portal or whatever.

7 Likes

I do believe this function is intended for use against griefers who bury waypoints on weekend/expedition missions. There is YT video which shows how to do this and it instantly frees the area allowing you to complete your objective. I will look for it…
…can’t find it but what it does is make their base invisible to you. It does not actually delete the base.

5 Likes

Something is basically writing to memory where it shouldn’t. A piece of code manipulates memory without realizing that another piece of code is using that memory in a way that conflicts.

Also called ‘stomped memory’ or ‘stepped on memory’.

It can be caused in various ways:

• Out of bounds memory access (writing more memory than it should)
    • Array access
    • String operation
  • Illegal pointer (wrong memory location)
    • Null pointer
    • Released pointer (freed memory can be reallocated)
    • Pointer type conversion
  • Stack overflow
  • Multi threading without lock protection for data read

… right …!? :wink:

Good fix, as it can cause all sorts of issues, corruption, weird behaviour, freezes, or crashes.

6 Likes

Ahhh… that makes a bit more sense. Until recently, I almost never kept MP on due to my system crashing as it struggled with awful internet, (mostly on weekend events as I arrived at the destination planet).
Now I have a much upgraded service I am more often leaving MP on so I’ll now probably come across greifers of some sort or another.

2 Likes

You’re forgetting the most common cause of these, which is very appropriate, since everybody forgetting about it is basically the reason it happens: Uninitialised pointers! :laughing:

5 Likes

8 Likes

This latest patch deleted all the terrain leveling done in the game to create the settlement site and it deleted my entire settlement. Only base parts I added manually remain and they are floating way above the new ground level. It is interesting to see just how massive the terrain modifications were to make a level settlement site on a mountainous planet. It’s also a bit of a show-stopper for me, tho.

5 Likes

That’s a concern for me…
My entire settlement is in a 20-30u deep crater! :laughing:
This might get interesting…

4 Likes

My settlers are now doing strange things like sitting on the edge of their seats, getting stuck on tables and I am sitting on the back of chairs…also the save beacon I put down when I first arrived is now floating above the 2 story building it is near.
I sent some pics to HG.
My settlement was fine before this, lol.

5 Likes

Yeah… I’m thinking a week off or so writing and arting might be a lot of fun. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Argh! Did it get confused by the overlapping base and decided that this spot was taken and not available to re-generate the settlement…?

I haven’t started my PC yet this morning, but in the last few days I noticed: I had built a save beacon inside a building, and when I save and quit, and then rejoin the game, it loads all other buildings, but not the one I was in. As soon as I start walking I get shoved about by invisible collisions, and then the building pops in around me, I was lucky I was near the door and could jetpack out of the way.

I also tried standing inside a construction site while it was about to be finished building once, with roughly the same outcome. :wink:

3 Likes

I did exactly the same thing. I thought the building was finished, so I walked in through the doors - and the game let me. Then the scaffolding and fencing popped in around the site, and there was no way out. It wouldn’t let me dig, delete, or build my way out - in the end, I had to load a save to escape.

4 Likes

I saved and quit only once inside the settlement. It was dangerous. I was almost stuck in the stuff around the pad. I now save and quit at my base or on my freighter

4 Likes

That happened to me too but it threw me out through the ceiling saving me further grief.

My solution is to have a base a good distance away (giving me a use for my Roamer)…or just use my Command Ship & fly down for access.

Settlements are a risky venture :rofl:

4 Likes

@sheralmyst - A Otis Redding song comes to mind … “I’m just sittin on the dock of the bay, wastin time…”

2 Likes

Experimental Branch 06/09 :link:

• Fixed an issue that prevented settlement NPCs from syncing correctly in multiplayer.
  • Introduced an optimisation to the particle rendering system.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented ByteBeat tracks from playing in Photo Mode.
  • ByteBeat devices deployed to caves now have extra reverb.
  • Introduced an optimisation to base part rendering.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some base parts from being recoloured.
  • When viewing another player’s settlement, their name is now displayed in the UI.
  • Fixed an issue that could tell players to collect products from their settlement while the settlement was still in debt.
  • Fixed a crash related to terrain textures.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent ramps from snapping correctly to doors.
  • Base part recipes are now available to pin from the grid menu.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from landing or summoning their ships near buildings.
  • Fixed a visual glitch with the Exocraft Summoning Station.
  • Fixed an issue that prevent players from summoning their ship from specific landing pads at planetary vaults.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent Short-Range Teleporters from teleporting the player.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent plants from growing when planted outdoors.
  • Fixed an issue that required players to construct a roof for settlement buildings that do not have roofs.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent a construction terminal from spawning at a settlement building site.
  • A teleporter has been added to the settlement Overseer’s office.
  • Fixed an issue that could reset settlement building progress when save/loading away from the settlement.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented any decisions from triggering after claiming a second settlement.
  • NPC shopkeepers and access to a Galactic Trade Terminal have been added to settlement marketplaces.
  • Fixed a crash related to the ByteBeat device.
  • Fixed a crash related to the base building menu.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Report Base quick menu option to appear when not in a base.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause construction decisions to fail to load.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Master of Elements expedition milestone from correctly unlocking the Minotaur Geobay.
  • Fixed a crash related to the expedition log UI.
  • Fixed a number of memory-related crashes on PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Fixed several crashes related to large bases.
  • Fixed a number of console crashes related to memory management.
7 Likes

Sweet! Gotta try it!

7 Likes