The Next Big Thing From Hello Games

It seems like they have tried to add a new platform to help add to the sales of the game with every update. What’s left though? Could it ever run on switch, even if the graphics look like N64? Switch has some VR capabilities.

Other than that, adding some huge new gamplay element or mode, in the same way battle royale has saved some games, would be the only other huge playerbase add. Maybe a huge territorial fight between two teams like eve online or I could even see a separate game mode where the whole universe is a battle royale map and you need to fight to the center. Maybe a refinement of shooting mechanics would bring those players in?

Those things aren’t my cup of tea but if that helps fund adding diverse planets and life that I’m cool with that.

2 Likes

That could be possible. I remember Sean Murray, at the beggining of No Man’s Sky pre-launch saying that one of the ideas is that the more you get to the center, the more you feel the difficulty… anyone remembers ?

5 Likes

Concerning future updates possibly,

So cautious is Murray now about not overhyping things that when I asked him if the game could ever come to Switch, he groaned and then said, “So it’s not something we’re talking about at the moment, you know what I mean? You must know this. We’ve learned the hard way to not encourage guesswork and whatever.”

Sound like they might try and see if they can make it work. It wasn’t a no yet anyways.

4 Likes

Typical Sean Murray. Just can’t get himself to say “no, that’s not happening!” :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s pure speculation.

@singulargleam

I actually seem to recall an interview with Sean murray where he discussed using their tech for something smaller in scale than an entire universe, like making an rpg world for example. I believe I read this very close to the games release or shortly after it. However I can’t recall if it came from the horses mouth or if it was the interviewer speculating possibilities in the article (there was a LOT of that in pre release articles, hence the launch day fiasco).

Did I dream this? Am I crossing my memories? Someone please help :joy:

4 Likes

It was in response to a question. Seans answer seemed pretty surprised, as if he had never thought about it, and said that it might get a little crazy. I don’t think that little snippet constitutes a solid basis for extrapolation…

4 Likes

To be fair Sean Murray already spoke about the fact that he’s aware of the stats etc., for PS5 (or whatever they decide to call it on release) which as far as I can tell (although I’m certainly no expert on the matter) PS5 and Google Stadia are basically the same thing so imo SM is more likely to work with Sony than Google.

Also, if SM chooses Google over anything I’m not sure I’d be too happy about it, I’ve always been on Google’s side even since before I used the first Android Alpha but in recent years Google have been more motivated by greed and ignorance than actually getting information out to the public which I always saw them at the forefront of until the last few years, what makes anyone here think they’re going to be any more transparent with Stadia? :man_facepalming:

I love NMS and it’s my number one chill game but if Google get their grubby nubs on SM’s handy work I honestly don’t see it going well at all… :pensive:

3 Likes

I would weep for the future of NMS if it became a BR-like “game”, that’s NOT the point of the game imo and IF HG decided to add that kind of trashy element to an otherwise awesome game then I for one would delete it (for the first time ever) never to be installed again and I know all too many NMS fans who would absolutely agree and follow with that decision, I just wish that people who are fans of BR would leave it out of NMS, yes more fighting would be cool, but it’s about the decision whether or not you WANT to fight or not in NMS, BR would be assuming that you HAVE to fight whether you want to or not and I have to say that that terrifies me, not that I’m scared of fighting in-game but because it’s always been my number 1 chill game and I’m certainly not the only one who says that, what exactly would be chill about being forced to fight your way to the center of the galaxy in a game that’s known for it’s exploration and discovery?

It really saddens me that people keep asking and/or suggesting BR for NMS, in fact it’s beyond sad :pensive:

3 Likes

I’m hoping Hello Games’ next big game will be a procedurally generated RPG, medieval style like Skyrim. You could travel across the land as far as you want, and procedural landscape, dungeons and towns will be created with interactable NPCs like in NMS that give you random quests.

2 Likes

We already have dwarf fortress… :wink:

2 Likes

Not on PS4.

3 Likes

Oh, right. I keep forgetting the major reason for why I never owned a console. Almost none of the games that interest me exist on them. :smile:

1 Like

Smoke and mirrors!

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

I’d hate to see a Battle Royale update to the game. Still if something like it were to appear it wouldn’t stop me playing No Man’s Sky there are many things to do. I’d probably have a go at it but know that one trick update wouldn’t captivate me once the fun wore off. There are too many more interesting things to do.

You got me thinking though. I was wondering, what if on a random planet we find that there is a goal to reach something valuable BUT in ‘last person standing’ kind of thing we have to make our way to a location on a planet but through predators that all have to be ‘removed’ by any means. Once the last one is gone the ‘winner’ or ‘team’ takes the prize. It could be played solo or in a group or timed.

The challenges of No Man’s Sky ought not to be obviously a ‘game’ but a means to an end. Just something you might encounter every once in a while during exploring and choose to take part in or not. Maybe a challenge would be to escape an extreme storm situation pursued by enemies or players alike that also are affected by the same storm. Maybe we have to radio for help to arrive.

There are endless possibilities to No Man’s Sky. Exciting times and I hope an exciting future. I’m pretty sure Hello Games won’t let No Man’s Sky become a click and shoot BR mayhem. My hope is it becomes more of a storytelling game and players are given tools to make their own stories or challenges for others to take part in. A bit like writing a Science Fiction novel but using the game as an unwritten book,

5 Likes

Nice thing about NMS is that you can kinda already do these things. CobraTV hosts duels in battle arenas already. It’s funny to watch. And they give out prizes to the winners. NMS is open to all kinds of ideas. You just need some imagination and some creativity. :sparkles:

6 Likes

Totally agree, just be creative to create your own games within NMS. Create your own footy, using the ball found at ruins, build your arenas for FPS events, or even create your own BR, by joining each other in a game with perma-death mode. I bet you there is more we can already do …

Some more useful tools sure, but we don’t need these implemented as ready-made features or game modes and lose our ability to ‘invent’ our own.

5 Likes

You just made me re-think my earlier suggestion:

What if simply it was a random boundary we happen to cross by chance, where upon a warning pops up and if we choose to continue then temporarily, we are switched to a semi-permadeath mode. If we don’t manage to reach the goal or succeed at whatever the task may be then we don’t get a second chance until we encounter another boundary. Maybe we even forfeit something. Perhaps we have to decide at the boundary, prior to continuing what we might have to forfeit. Maybe lose a ship and entire contents! But the rewards could be scaled accordingly.

Would be fun if the creative modellers could maybe make small trophies that could be introduced to the game to collect. Or maybe it would just be a simple 3d book but with an uploaded illustrated sci-fi book cover ‘card texture’ we could collect, with player submitted artwork. We could show off our ‘paper-back collection’ at our bases and other players might visit and follow the same path to achieve them too. :slight_smile:

Players could create little thumbnail book cover collections for all sorts of things. Popular artwork would become collectible and give us a real reason for completing stuff. Maybe MODS later could use classic sci-fi covers like Asimov for completing classic storylines but of course all that may be ‘far far away’ right now… in another galaxy :slight_smile: But it would be cool to one day save a Princess from a Garbage Shute lol - for a classic Star Wars poster thumnail for my collection lol.

Maybe if we collect all 5 covers we get to read a downloadable sci-fi comic or a chance to buy the real artwork of a player made cover :slight_smile: No Man’s Sky would actually get people ‘reading’ and maybe re-visiting and discovering classic or new Sci-fi even appreciating new and old scf-fi art. :slight_smile:
Lots of smiley faces hee hee.

2 Likes