So, I do art and stuff - general artistic / creative chat

Murphy’s Oil Soap…I would have never guessed. I once lived in a house with custom wood cabinets and I used the stuff to clean them. I knew it was good for wood but never brushes and those were the years I painted on a regular basis…if I had only known. And it’s true, the solvents are rough on the brushes.
And I’m not sure why, but I suddenly feel the urge to start painting again…oh dear…I feel the moment taking hold…once it grabs me, I will get no rest until I act. :smile:
Yep. I got the itch. One thing I always wanted to do was dive into impressionism but, my eye and my brain are drawn to detail so I just could not break free from realism. However, my eyesight has declined and I feel like trying again.
I found this vid and love the destroy and rebuild technique and the fracture technique.

UPDATE…I did it…since I have zero paint supplies, I had to buy a few things and I am going out on a limb. I am going oil sticks…it just feels right for going impressionistic. Bought some tubes just in case. Hoping to get a bit of an impasto feel as well. Threw in some palette knives and largish brushes. Went super cheap in case this sudden ambition fizzles :sweat_smile:
Now, inspiration…sketch time

2 Likes

SQUEEEEEE! I’m so excited to hear that! May it bring you as much joy (in spite of the frustration --lol) as it brings to me.

I didn’t use my oils all winter it was sooo cold, that was when I realised my brushes were getting stiff. I have dumped them all into Murphy’s now. So I can clean them up a few at a time. Then I will keep the ones I use regularly (daily) in safflower oil until I’m ready to use them.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with (but no pressure!) I am still so impressed by your master study of Van Gogh’s self portrait. :heart:

I watched the vid you posted and I think it might be a good series of exercises to do to loosen up. However, for myself, I wouldn’t want to get stuck into it as a way to paint my personal experience of my subject(s) I also use much larger brushes that they are using in the video. I’m of the “paint what you love; what excites you” school of painting. :blush: The energy from that somehow gets into the painting. I am also an advocate of using a variety of edges to draw the viewer’s eye through the painting at different speeds, and giving it a rest now and then. However, as I said earlier, these would be a good “loosening up” exercise to do now and then.

I like their invented tool. I may make one. Looks very good for stripping of passages that are just not working. For stripping/lifting some types of strokes/passages I use either a flexible palette knife, or a rubber tipped clay sculpting/detailing tool.

I also tend to tone my substrates with either burnt sienna or yellow ochre, and wipe that back with a soft cloth to subdue the bright white of the canvas. I have found it much harder to judge the values of the strokes when there is so much while around. I also tend to use the lifting out of the lights to set the stage for the underlying design foundation.

I’m sure you already know a lot of this, but for anyone else interested, I thought I would mention a few things. :heart:

Let me know if you find it tedious. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not tedious at all. Let me know how the Murphy’s works out.
I plan on starting small. Maybe some 8x10s. I have done stipple and crosshatch with pen and ink which is very time consuming so I am interested in trying the techniques in the vids because they are quite similar. Whatever I do, I want to avoid too much realism…I must break free! :laughing:
I did a couple of studies on my tablet and I must say, I am quite excited. Strong contrast between light and dark and the almost crosshatch method with paint…if I can just find a subject matter that grabs me. I have one in mind in my yard and I am grabbing some pics at various times of day while I wait for my supplies to arrive.
I am a bit nervous. It has been a long time… :grimacing: and I have never used paint sticks but, that also means I have no preconceived ideas about them so I hope that works to my advantage.

1 Like

My practice/study sizes are even smaller–5x7" and 6x8".

I’m always nervous around starting a new painting, but also pretty excited. Photography just with my phone camera is an essential tool, but from so may years of observing and painting nature (in oils, watercolour, and acrylics) I find I can work well using a series of photos (and even looped videos! --videos show more true colour/light/shadow than stills taken with a phone).

I try to tell myself that fear of failure may be there, but if I learn something (which always happens even is it is only an unconscious increase in muscle memory) then it isn’t truly a “fail”. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I first decided to go back to oils, I too started with paint sticks. Sellenier brand. The paints were luscious, though I didn’t like their Ultramarine blue. It was closer to violet than I like. The only other problem I had with the sticks was that they were incredibly messy to use, peeling the paper off was difficult, too. Wonderful to use with a painting knife, though and made creamy mixes, and good thick single strokes.

What brand did you get?

I’m thinking of purchasing a student grade set of paints with which to lay in my underpainting. Cheaper and they tend to dry faster. Then finish off with my Rublevs. I will also be using the student grade paints for colour studies, though at the moment I’m using watercolour for those. I just have to decide on a brand that doesn’t use anything other than linseed oil for their medium. My go-to paint brand used to be Stevenson’s but the owners got too old to continue the business and no one in the family wanted to take over, so they simply closed it all down. A sad day that I didn’t find out about until a few years ago when I looked them up in order to make some purchases. :slightly_frowning_face:

I have found for myself that staying loose is helped by using a brush twice the size I was used to (even on small paintings (8x10") a two inch brush can work wonders), and putting down a single stroke at a time then loading up the brush and putting down another stroke, leaving them alone --not correcting or fussing with the stroke.

Pretty exciting stuff @sheralmyst ! I love that you have no qualms about using a device to help with the work. I think of them as a modern, more sophisticated, “camera obscura”. If the technology of the day worked for Vermeer, then the technology of today can work for us.

I edit my photos on my phone to a certain extent, cropping, adjusting lights/darks/brilliance, etc. and I upload to my computer and play with the composition and even the colours before I commit to a studio painting. In the wild or plein aire, I take reference photos, do sketches in charcoal or inks, maybe a quick watercolour colour study if there is time before the sun moves too far.

And here I go blathering on again. :smile: Enjoy your renaissance!

1 Like

Can’t remember the oil stick brand but they were cheap. :smile: I looked at Sellenier and decided I will go that route if this works out

1 Like

here is the lift out tool I use. (I’m not affiliated with Amazon)

Now I’m off for a rest.

1 Like