So, I do art and stuff - general artistic / creative chat

8 Likes

A related story: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Der_Berggeist

it shows an old man sitting on a rock under a pine tree. He has a white beard and wears a wide-brimmed round hat and a long cloak. … Tolkien preserved this postcard carefully, and long afterwards he wrote on the paper cover in which he kept it: ‘Origin of Gandalf’."

7 Likes

just goes to show --once you learn to art you can use any media (eventually…) beautiful work! (and I thought computer art was ephemeral! lol)

EDIT:
I keep meaning to ask if anyone else has watched the movie that Mal and I both kickstarted a number of years ago called “Loving Vincent”?

I know that @sheralmyst has some interest in the painter because of the delightful master copy she painted and shared with us above.

In case you haven’t heard of it, here is some info:

On 27th July 1890 a gaunt figure stumbled down a drowsy high street at twilight in the small French country town of Auvers.
The man was carrying nothing; his hands clasped to a fresh bullet wound leaking blood from his belly.

This was Vincent van Gogh, then a little known artist; now the most famous artist in the world.
His tragic death has long been known, what has remained a mystery is how and why he came to be shot.
Loving Vincent tells that story.

The whole story is depicted in oil painted animation, created by over a hundred artists who learned to paint in van Gogh’s style.

It is an incredibly moving story; heartwarming, poignant.

We kickstarted it, almost forgot about it, lost the emails with the link when it was finally released, then a couple of months ago found it on Amazon, watched it, bought it, watched it again with our family, and were just as moved during the second watching.

There is a trailer on IMDb:

Enjoy! :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for that link @TravelEcho ! I do love Van Gogh.

In case that link does not work for some, here is a pic so you can research it.

Flemish-The Apotheosis of the Arts

4 Likes

My pleasure! Let me know your experience of the movie if you get around to watching it. :heart:

1 Like

I’d forgotten that J.R.R. was an artist. Very nice reminder, sheral. And another movie rendered in artwork! Amazing.

I’m still procrastinating with creativity of all kinds lately. I have a chapter coming along, or was coming along. I’ve basically written a paragraph in the past month and a half because I can’t seem to get a good night’s sleep - with pills! I feel nervous of where this dumb world is headed, reminded of unpleasant ancient prophecies…

But this post has another reason behind it. Are there any writers here who would want to caretake my story file, and in case of unforeseen circumstances, want to finish it for me? Or know one who would like a “small project” like it? I’m due for surgery which I have been putting off, which actually doesn’t bother me. Mostly it’s an inconvenience. I don’t want to sound dire, but it’s just that any surgery has a tiny chance of being fatal. I have a basic roadmap laid out at the end of the fic and a gob of related info to use as a resource, and a lot of unused / deleted stuff too.

I thought of asking sheral since she seems to be quite the writer, but haven’t bothered her yet. I’ve been sitting on this post for three days now, but I decided what the heck. So, any takers?

4 Likes

Woah… :grimacing: I can write a short story here and there when a whim hits me but I am afraid a full blown novel is a leap too far. I can understand wanting to give someone access to the files for safe keeping, and I don’t mind doing that, but I am sure surgery will be okay. When do you go under?

4 Likes

Sorry, I’ve been held captive by Gran Turismo. :sweat_smile:

Actually, they’re waiting for me to get back with them, the local VA Hospital, which I keep forgetting to do. Fortunately they’re pretty good here. I have a physical coming up soon so I’ll probably deal with it then.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Can we count bento boxes as art?

7 Likes

Not (yet) an in-game feature in NMS, so posting here. Would love to see this added in.

3 Likes

All my paintings of NMS landscapes in acrylics on canvas panels (somewhere on this site–lol)! How cool is that? The idea of having your own gallery at your base! :heart:
(sorry… temporarily out of appreciation hearts for posts) :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

I finally found where I posted my NMS landscape acrylic studies, and then found I couldn’t edit the post above to insert the image. >.>
So here it is:

It would be so cool to have a gallery of one’s fanart in our bases.

I painted one a day for thirty days, 6x8", (or maybe 5x7") and a few are 6x6".

I have begun the process of brushing an isolation coat on them, and on many of my finished acrylics.

Also, a question: Does anyone know of a way to effectively clean oil painting brushes without using solvents? I have heard that safflower oil is good. Anyone have experience with it?

9 Likes

First, yes, I would love to hang fan art in my base.
Second. No. I love the smell of solvents. :rofl:
Those are nice! Would look good collaged together on a wall

5 Likes

No know how that sounds, right? :grimacing:

3 Likes

Ummm no. Like a huffer? :laughing: It was a joke. No one really likes the way solvents smell do they?

2 Likes

You could try baby oil. Seems to work.

And this is how to keep your baby oil and containers clean

And there is this stuff

2 Likes

Baby oil is a non-drying oil. Not good for getting mixed (even in small amounts) in with your linseed oil. I will check out your links when I get some time. Thank you! <3

1 Like

Might require new brushes…but if it works it might be worth the switch.

1 Like

For many years now I have had the most intense brush-envy for Rosemary and Co. brushes. Every once in a while I go to their website and simply drool, and pine, over their selection. Today, I committed to getting a few larger brushes from them as soon as I get paid for the painting I recently sold. :blush:

While I was perusing their site today, I found this:

The answer I have been looking for! Advice for cleaning oil brushes is farther down the page. And No solvents! Yay! :+1:

3 Likes