Question about the Current State of The NMS Universe across all platforms

Hey I’m actually a little confused as to where we’re at now with cross play and how many instances of the NMS universe there are.

I remember when it launched, PC and PS4 were seperate. Then I think when Xbox version came out they were still seperate?

You could go to the Galactic Map online and see the QS Store Unlock Progress for the different platforms. When cross play first came along I know you could visit another instance by joining a friend from a different platform.

Now the game is on so many different platforms and gens and I kinda stopped paying attention to what was new on the patch side of things over the last 2-3 years.

In the nexus I keep seeing people with different symbols above their heads to indicate platform and on the galactic map online theres only one progress bar. Are we all together now? Or is there still seperation between console/PC universes/discoveries?

I wasnt sure how to ask Google concisely enough to return sensible results.

5 Likes

We are all together including Switch except Switch players cannot join others and do not have settlements.
…as far as I can remember anyway
Unless you play PC experimental which sometimes throws you out of sync until the patch is brought to public.
Updates still do not always roll out at exactly the same time.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Was there a similar cataclysm like with the proc gen change in the past? Weirdness with discovery overlap? Some hubs built multiple projects on the same planet on different platforms, did they get cronenberged during the merger? I feel like I missed an amazing moment. Or it was chill and I missed nothing at all XD

3 Likes

Overlap still happens. In fact, a few people here have found bases from others inside their bases.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Multiplayer can get very weird. Especially during popular events, when thousands of people are converging on one area. It’s bad enough that the software can’t really cope with the numbers, but then you get those with “disruptive tendencies” concentrating their hacking attempts in the areas where all the people are.

Very weird

4 Likes

For some reason, I have not seen anyone in the Anomaly on PC or PS5. This has happened before. Normally, I end up on a server full of Russians…I think I have slipped into the world of glass

5 Likes

Saw this and thought maybe this might be the reason

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/142y7o5/comment/jn6zfig/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

Thanks but on PS5 I am alone. I am signed into ps network…my internet is working, but no one is there but me.

Artemyst ;0;

3 Likes

Next time I’m on, I’ll see what PS5 MP does. I usually have NETWORK turned off due to crashing problems caused by my garbage internet.

1 Like

@MacForADay says you must have PSPlus. The store info said I do not.

Yep. Sounds correct.

1 Like

It probably means that you don’t need it to play the game, but still need it for the multiplayer features… ?

Yeah, from what I can find, that’s exactly it:

while Sony’s store page does state “online multiplayer also requires a PlayStation Plus subscription”, No Man’s Sky developer Hello Games has now confirmed a Plus sub isn’t needed for the majority of the experience.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Not buying it for just one game.

2 Likes

My old housemate came to the same conclusion recently. They have nms on ps4 and I gifted it to them on PC because they got a new gaming laptop.

They opened up their ps4 save with the plan to transfer over a bunch of stuff to their PC playthrough to save time on the early resource grind.

Realised he needed ps plus and decided yeah, screw that for one game to do one thing.

1 Like

I ran into this same issue. Information says you don’t need a PSN sub, but you actually do for MP.

(BTW, its worth it for the free games, imo.)

1 Like