Pre-next base in 5 day old planet?

Pepperidge Farm remembers…

Lol jokes aside. I always thought it was cool that you could see your ships from the catwalk.

4 Likes

Knowing exactly just how much developers remember about code they wrote a year ago, I’d say the only things they remember is the things they documented. And that they can still find the documentation on. Because that’s a whole other can of wyrms…

4 Likes

i have forgotten what code does literally 1 hour after writing it :skull: main reason why i never get anything done, also a tendency to wander away from tutorial vids and onto “how magcargo tore a competitive community apart”

5 Likes

If you can’t tell what your code does by reading it, you’re writing it wrong… :wink:

4 Likes

IM STUPID OK I FORGET EVERYTHING I FORGOT MY BOYFRIEND’S LAST NAME AFTER ASKING HIM THRICE
fr though i have an entire notepad doc of basic lua functions and need to look up what all of them do every time i reopen it, revise my notes, rewatch the tutorials, fidget with the code and then realize the reason i walked away from the computer in the first place was BECAUSE the code never worked. i do not think i am cut out for this job but im too broke and socially anxious to hire someone else to do it

3 Likes

Oh, how I sympathise, empathise even, with that statement. That is probably why I stopped trying to code and went back to music and art.

2 Likes

It’s not at all uncommon to open a file and have no idea what the hell’s in it, even if you wrote it yourself. But you should be able to tell what the code is doing from reading the code, not some secondary documentation. Choose expressive function and variable names, make comments where you can’t write the code clearly enough to be immediately understandable, and especially make a quick comment what all the functions do and what exactly they return if it’s not obvious (nothing more annoying than having math functions that don’t mention what unit their result is in…).

Also, notepad might not be the greates option. Try visual studio code (not visual studio. Visual studio code. It’s a completely different thing and it’s great for working with scripting languages). Also, lua doesn’t make it as simple to write readable code as some other languages, but weakly typed languages have issues with that in general… But a lot of that can be addressed with solid commenting.

3 Likes

Ah … right you are. I had misread something I saw a few days ago.

And Foundation was when the “category” symbols for resources changed to specific ones (Carbon symbol instead of Isotope symbol). Of course, good old Thammium 9 was with us then as an Isotope. And Plutonium was red crystals.

2 Likes

So I have a question because I have not messed with coding. But in the days of BASIC, we wrote everything on paper and made notes. Is that practical any more?

2 Likes

No. Almost any program simple enough to be managed on paper probably has an implementation as an online tool somewhere, so is kinda pointless to write except for educational purposes.

Also, the reason why the code of old was written on paper was because the computer was too bloody expensive to use for things like that (and often had terrible interfaces for text processing anyways). It made money by crunching numbers, not by being used to write the programs to crunch those numbers.

Nowadays, computing time is the cheap factor, while labor and bugs are the expensive parts. Nowadays we’re sacrificing machine performance left and right (everywhere where it’s not essential) if it leads to code that is easier to read, modify and resilient against bugs. If anybody were to suggest we’d code on paper to free computing resources, we’d send him to the looney bin straight away… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

No… I haven’t seen handwritten code since the nineties (incidentally also BASIC ) when people used to copy source code from magazines or library books. The current metagame is to copy code snippets from Stackexchange.com / Stackoverflow.com, and then ask ChatGPT how to fix the error message.

4 Likes

comment what all the functions do and what exactly they return if it’s not obvious

That thinking is the problem why people don’t comment their code! In the moment you write it, it is always obvious.

You need to think of commenting as egotistically helping your future self. :wink: What annoyed you last time when you read older code, which questions did you ask when you shook your fist and wanted to strangle the idiot who wrote this? Answer those now. Stop brushing it off saying it’s obvious. At least my take on it.

5 Likes

We are doomed :sweat_smile: but that also explains a lot about Windows

3 Likes

I meant if it’s not obvious from the function name itself, but I see how that could be misunderstood :laughing:

Probably not. On the OS level, performance is very often quite a major consideration. You do write code very differently at that level. But efficient code is also often more bug-prone code. That trade-off is really hard to solve.
I had a couple of occasions where performance was very important in my job, mostly complex SQL-querries. That’s when you spend days brooding over just a couple lines of code to squeeze everything out of it that you can. But in most cases, even despite excessive commenting, this has pretty much resulted in “write-only” code where you’re kinda screwed if you ever have to modify it (this, incidentally, is also the reason why premature optimisation during development is generally known as “the mother of all evil”…)

In terms of windows, its performance isn’t actually that bad anymore. The problem is that people don’t realise just how expensive all those bells and whistles are that we take for granted nowadays. Linux outperforms windows mostly just on the basis of just doing less, which is also why it’s used less as a desktop OS.
It’s also why Linux beats the hell out of windows when it comes to servers, obviously. That, and the price.
And then there’s Mac OS, which beats everybody by meticulous, dare I say asinine, optimisation for a very specific set of hardware.

5 Likes

The one reason I have not gone Linux is because it cannot do everything I can do with Windows…but man, your PC sure does run better.

4 Likes

i’m too dumb to understand linux, but i don’t think it’s for me anyways since i enjoy the customization options and gaming on windows. i would rather die than own an apple pc for personal use however

also thanks for yalls tips i finally wrote a program that not only works but i can understand after writing it, it’s a simple walking speed adjustment script but it functions and that’s what’s important

5 Likes

What can’t you do on Linux? Most applications have good enough replacements.

3 Likes

My son has been trying to get me onto a linux that is org like windows so it has been a while since I worked with it. I have a laptop that is linux and I go back to it once in a while. There are a few apps I use that have no linux support and nothing to replace them. If my dual boot on my pc worked properly, I would have used Linux more but, windows does not like to let you have the option and resets my start up config so I gave up. To launch my linux drive I have to manually unplug the windows drive…

4 Likes

Just (last week) installed a new SSD on an old i5 laptop, and put Ubuntu on it.

So far, it’s not a huge success. Most of the software packages from the Ubuntu depository don’t work. Installing Linux software from other sources was always very hit-or-miss - that was the attraction of Ubuntu - it just worked. Well, now it doesn’t.

4 Likes

I’ve been fully Linux for a couple of decades now. And for how I use the computer it has everything I need. Where it falls down is on support for the odd device you might want to connect to it. Cheap picture frames have proprietary software to load images. One of my 3D printers didn’t support Linux. I could use a different slicer, but updating the firmware needed Windows. And try getting Unreal to run on Linux. It works, but only if you don’t mind downgrading your compiler (there may have been a way around that, I ended up dropping Unreal for Godot which fit our project better anyway). On the other hand, Linux is great for slowing down meddlesome family members trying to help your mom with her computer. They would always add something to her computer to make it fancier which would eventually cause it to quit booting. (a 1200 mile trip for me to fix.) I moved her to Linux, she doesn’t know the difference, they can’t help her, and she has been running for 4 years now. :slight_smile:

5 Likes