POLL: The Expansive Age-Range of NMS

Oh no! I didn’t know @Linshell was not well. Her YouTube videos are a delight.

I’m doing what I love to, living and growing with the best spouse I could ask for, and I have my health (mostly. I am Type 1 Diabetic, but I’m in control, not the other way around), so as far as I can tell, I’ve “made it”! :slight_smile:

Definitely a lot more me and my wife would like to experience, but that comes with time. And I’m a pretty patient guy. n_n

4 Likes

Never heard that before now. That’s a great song/talk. Some endearing thoughts to think about as a young someone.
Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I still have that baz luhrman album on CD somewhere in the house. I used to put it on at night and fall asleep to it when I was maybe 10 or 11? I had one of those CD players where you could program the order it would play the songs, so I just cut out the ones I didn’t like… this was always a good one to end on - YouTube :smiley: (only version I could find is one recorded on someones phone for some reason…)

3 Likes

Well when the game released I was still in de 20-29 range :confused:

5 Likes

Am 72 and play this game as a dream come true. At the age of fourty I programmed some space games myself.
My granddaughter age 10 plays NMS too as does her mother at age 40. So this is a game that speaks to every age…

23 Likes

I’ve been a member of the 3D Construction Kit official User Group for six years. We made games for all the computers available at that time such as Amstrad, Atari, Amiga, PC etc. Conversion from one brand to the otherwas easy in those days…

3 Likes

Life is a cycle. If you do not forget the playful child inside, it especially guides you at older age :slight_smile: The playing human was already predicted by Johan Huizinga in the beginning of the past age… I live in the Netherlands and read that book.

6 Likes

Edited your post to replace the Google link with a direct YouTube url.

4 Likes

On the far edge of my 40’s here, and NMS is the only game I play. I, too, bought a PS4 just to play it. I have it in me to write up someday the longish story of a nerdy Gen Xer whose childhood imagination was fed by Star Trek in daily syndication, Star Wars movies at their blockbuster original release, Choose Your Own Adventure books, the first video game arcades and home game systems, home computers and text adventures, classic sci-if novels and the lines from all this which lead to a dream-come-true gaming experience in No Man’s Sky. But kid number two came along and my free time is not what it used to be!

9 Likes

Thanks! I could not figure out how on mobile :roll_eyes: :smile:

My son would go nuts to sit and talk with you about those games and tech! He has been collecting older tech . Partly my fault when I started telling him about programming in BASIC on my old Commodore 64. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

As a 70’s kid, I had the honour of seeing the Star Wars movies upon release & was hooked.
Combine that with pastel toned sci-fi books, some Star Trek & a youngling’s imagination; I was a Jedi inspired adventurer running about. Adventure games became writing, which later became a passion.
My joints creak & ache these days from too much young adventure (mostly things with wheels) so it’s nice to be able to settle down into long lazy sessions in NMS.

11 Likes

The 3D Construction Kit came with its own ingame programming language. Not difficult to learn. Here is a link to a video I made of one of my games:

But there also still is a site where everything related to this Kit can be found:

6 Likes

Thanks! His eyes got really big when he saw games for the C64! He will enjoy that!

4 Likes

One of my earliest memories is of the BBC relaying the signals from the Sputnik launch, as received by Jodrell Bank radio telescope. I didn’t really understand what it was (I can’t have been more than four years old), but I remember my parents being really excited, and I remember the beep-beep-beep.

Many years later, I discovered that this was a major embarrassment to the Americans at the time. They didn’t have any equipment that could track the thing, but the British did.

Needless to say, the Americans rectified the situation pretty quickly.

10 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile: It is always great when you can give the passion to your offspring . My kids and grandkids also have this heritage from me lol

2 Likes

I will be breaking with the tradition of a girl not telling her age but, I was just a toddler in my dad’s lap as he sat up all night watching the first moon landing. I inherited a love of space exploration from him. Those were very exciting times!

8 Likes

:)))))) so sweet

2 Likes

He says to show you this. He found it at a flea market/rummage sale. It has hand written notes in it and seems to be the actual technicians handbook.

11 Likes

Wow, that’s great! This is such a great memory of how it all started! Maybe he is able to build a new version of it!

2 Likes