POLL: The Expansive Age-Range of NMS

I thought I was the only person left in the world who still had a working 5.25 inch drive. Well done hanging onto those!

5 Likes

We’re not mature, we’re old. If we were mature, we wouldn’t be here.

I’m not planning on growing up any time soon.

12 Likes

Too bad due to circumstances, I have not been able to get a hold of anything I used to have. Will mostly miss any of my coding attempts and alike, stored on cassette or disk. I also made several custom joysticks back in the days, which can never be truly replaced. A fresh start it is, trying to find at least the games I used to play/own.

3 Likes

With a hacksaw, a soldering iron, and a certain amount of knowledge, just about anything can be achieved.

(Although these days I need a magnifying glass, too).

4 Likes

I do have all that, but it wouldn’t be quite the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a difference between trying to re-live the past (which you can’t do), and refreshing old experiences (which is not only achievable, it can also be a lot of fun).

3 Likes

Very true! I may actually give that a try again and refresh the experience on making a cool joystick.

3 Likes

Yes! Go for it! It’s never going to be like it was. The trick is to take control of what it’s going to be.

3 Likes

Duct tape and bailing wire when I was a lot younger.

4 Likes

That’ll fix your tractor. Maybe get the exhaust back on your car. But bailing wire and computers?

2 Likes

Woot! Just won the Ebay bidding war for the Atari 800XL from the US. Makes me really happy, as it has been quite hard finding one boxed and for a reasonable price. It should arrive in about 2 weeks from now.

5 Likes

Watch out for US electrics. A friend of mine brought back a printer - it was 110v 60 Hz, when we are 240v 50Hz. We had to run the thing through an inverter in the end.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I will need to use a different adapter, I am aware of the power differences. To be honest I actually prefer the usually more popular US releases, from a collector point of view that is. I will certainly make sure to keep the Magic Smoke inside :wink:

5 Likes

to those whom have floppies disk that are usable. If you have data that needs to be saved. DO NOT USE DVD/CD’s that are common at all stores.
Look for and purchase a M-Disk Drive, they come in several flavors.
Current DVD/cd’s use BIO materials.
M-Disk uses granite that does not breakdown.
If the disk is placed in store it is expected to last forever.

7 Likes

I heard a while back they were trying to store data on quartz crystal. Sounds like they succeeded.

2 Likes

Going off this poll, it won’t be long before we become the Senior Citizens Science Division. Can’t wait!

@Polyphemus

So what you’re saying is,

DO copy that floppy?

10 Likes

I had a similar problem on Amstrad CPC with my external floppy drive. In my case it turned out the issue weren’t the floppy discs themselves, but the floppy rubber belt connected to the motor that got loose. I found out it was a well known problem on Amstrad and changing the belt for a new one often made the drive as good as new!

7 Likes

I shouldn’t be such a night owl :frowning: Was woken up by the doorbell and had to rush out of bed into some clothing to answer in time. Yay, the mailman, bringing me yet another package! He turned over quite a big box, which I carried to the living room. Had to follow usual procedures first, brekkie, which means COFFEE :coffee: While waiting on it, I turned on the computer to do my usual routine of visiting the Steam forum, the forum here, to then check for messages/mail. All this time the box had been staring at me of course, so after I poured my early morning mug and having a few hot sips, I started unboxing.

This time it is my first Atari, the boxed 2600. I knew I was going to be in a great condition, but it sure exceeded my expectations. The box itself is worn but in a decent state none the less, no original booklets with it and only part of the original inner packaging, but still quite ok. What happily amazed me most was the state of the console itself, including the 2 joysticks and paddles. Everything looks pretty much as new, even the cables are stiff as they are when never used before. If I wasn’t happy already, I am sure the smile from ear to ear was showing now.

Meet my Atari 2600 (VCS/CX2600) - aka ‘Woody Light Sixer’ (1978). Basically the second model produced after the initial ‘Heavy’ version released a year earlier (1977).

Here it is!

Some extra games as well

I have other good news too. We have come to an agreement on the Superlectron TVC-3000, a Pong clone from 1977, boxed and in wonderful condition. It will be on it’s way after the weekend. With having won the bid on the Atari 800XL (US), there is not much else I truly wish for atm. I do however still have a winning bid for another 800XL (UK), which is pretty much binding, unless someone else outbids me. Then I have something going for 32 MSX games, which includes an old favourite of mine, ‘Spy vs Spy’. I can honestly say, ‘I’m all good’, time to get that spare bedroom organised I guess :wink:

14 Likes

Should I ever find myself in your neck of the woods, I’m coming over for a game of spy v spy!

spies a Magic box in the bottom corner background of a photo

My old hosuemate had enough MTG cards/decks/etc to create a partition in the sittingroom out of them.

In fact he announced the news of his first child via a baby scan done up like it was a MTG card

Future Jank Player

Creature - Human Child

At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on Future Jank Player; then put a +1/+1 counter on it, discard a card and exile the top card of your library for each Age counter on it

Remove 18 counters from Future Jank Player; exile it. Return it to the battlefield whenever it needs money or laundry done.

7 Likes

I like how the box art back then was merely an interpretation of the game and not in-game graphics. Today, if you see something different on the cover of the case people will complain that it’s false advertising. lol. I remember realizing this when I would draw Sonic characters non-stop when I played the Sega Genesis versions back in the early 90s. I wondered by the game didn’t look like the box art, and not the other way around. lol :joy:

9 Likes