NMS not saving

Happened twice today. First time I thought I imagined it. Second time I checked.

PC, Steam, Normal, Public

I went to make a change in the save file and the timestamp for the current file was five hours old. Went back in the game and hopped in and out of my ship - Restore Point Saved. Refreshed the directory but the time stamp didn’t change. Hopped in and out some more. No change. Flew to a different area and tried it. No change. Put down a Save Point and used it. No change. Finally exited NMS and lost five hours of changes. Not crucial but is annoying.

Restarted NMS and now it’s working as it should but short five hours of changes.

Done for tonight but would appreciate any enlightenment that comes my way.

5 Likes

This may have been fixed in the Steam 3xperimental branch, likely soon to go public:

Fixed an issue that could prevent games from saving correctly. This fix fully restores any affected saves.

6 Likes

Thank you! I was hoping that it wasn’t just something that I did.

3 Likes

NMS still is not saving games. At least it’s not for me. I’ve lost idk how many games and it’s completely unplayable for me. Any word on when this issue will be fixed?

2 Likes

Has saving worked before and it stopped only recently?

1 Like

I never had troubles with it until this last update. Ever since the most recent update (Origins, I think it’s called) my game saves disappear. I lost one file had over 300 hours game time. Poof gone. Every file I’ve started since, disappears. Not sure exactly how long it takes for them to leave, as if I immediately restart my game the save file is there. But a couple hours later, it’s gone.

2 Likes

Wow! So sorry @CoffeeAddict. Welcome to the forum! What are you playing on? I have never heard of this happening before. Definitely report this at the zendesk https://hellogames.zendesk.com

I’m on PC. I do not use mods or addons. I play the vanilla game. I have reported this to zendesk many times. I get the typical “we can’t respond to every report” email but NEVER hear back about this. I can’t play the game at all, as everything I do is lost. It makes me sad and angry at the same time, as this is BY FAR my favorite game of all time.

1 Like

Ugh, that sounds horrible. Have you tried finding the saved games, on PC they should be here:-
%AppData%\HelloGames\NMS\ and then inside whatever folder is at that location.

Try turning cloud syncing off for NMS in steam. Possibly something is going wrong there. Try putting some random files into that location and seeing if they still exist after a couple of hours.

If you have useless software like CCleaner or the like, then turn that crap off.

It doesn’t sound like a bug, sounds like something is deleting your files and the only thing that does that is virus/malware and “Clean my PC” software.

Or maybe file history if you have it turned on (click on NMS and “previous versions”).

2 Likes

Ok, I deleted CCleaner. Not even sure how it got on my pc. I don’t remember putting it on there. I looked at that folder. Inside is a folder named st_ then a bunch of numbers. Inside that is a folder called cache and a file called save.hg. Inside the cache folder is a bunch of files that are numbers followed by .DDS. I have cloud sync turned off for steam.

1 Like

While you wait for help:

Go back to %AppData%\HelloGames\ and make a copy of the NMS folder that you can save - just in case your save files decide to disappear again.

Maybe post a screenprint here of the …AppData\Roaming\HelloGames\NMS\st_… directory so we can see the save file information.

3 Likes

I think this is what you were asking for.

2 Likes

For comparison, this is what I have. I have only played Normal.

If I remember correctly, there are usually just paired save.hg and mf_save.hg files (plus the cache folder). The save2s file are from when I do a manual save using a Save Point or other device.

If you haven’t done so already, one thing that you could try is to verify the Steam NMS program files on your PC. Open Steam, right click on NMS and select Properties, click the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.

3 Likes

I’ve done it before, but verified them again. Says files are ok. Checked to make sure cloud sync was off, it is. I’m going to start another game, get to where I can actually make a save point, then check the directory to see what’s there.

2 Likes

Here is what I have after finding ship, doing partial repairs, and exiting ship getting game saved message. Also, I really appreciate all the help you kind folks have been giving me. It really means a lot.

3 Likes

That folder is at it should be. I think you get two files per game slot.

Do they still disappear after a few hours? Even without playing NMS?

Can the files be “read”? i.e. double click on the mf_save.hg and it will ask you what to do with it. Point it to notepad and it will either show whatever is in that file (probably unreadable to humans) or it will bring up an error about not be able to read it. If you get the error, uh oh! Best just delete the folder and let NMS recreate it.

1 Like

Both files are there this morning. They are readable (definitely not by this human) but still, readable. The save is recognizable by the game, as well. We’ll see how it goes. Thank you, for your kind help. Bunch of great, helpful people.

5 Likes