Mayriad-70 2nd PDF - Possible puzzle to solve?

I’ve got an idea about it but it’s late, so i’m off to bed. I’ll have a crack at this tomorrow after work, as it believe it might be as simple as removing the junk data (lots of 0000’s)

Drakonslayer, there’s a few articles about word pad editing a jpeg file to induce datamoshing. there’s set rules for what it does and therefore, set rules of how to undo it, maybe…

True, I am aware of how image corruption works, or at least somewhat. Usually the ending part can cause layers to move, while the middle section often causes discoloration and other strange effects. Might be worth a shot just removing sections of zeros with a hex editor. Might give that a shot after finishing my current checks to see if anything shows in Audacity, importing as raw data.

i’ve been doing this… it’s taking a while, but it is changing the image, there are also parts that have recurring code… i can’t find my tool i need to do this quicker, and my co-worker won’t pick up so i could get him to send it through to me… i fear that someone here is going to beat me to it at this rate.

I don’t think it is supposed to be a contest, so I would not worry about it. I am currently trying to work on removing big zero’d parts, but I have my doubts it actually works. For now I believe the actual data has been corrupted in a way that may not even be possible to retrieve. This is actually why I tried several other things first, also without luck so far though.

im confident i can get something from it with my tools… my co-worker is trying to find the particular program for me on my computer now.

will see once i get it.

Would be great to get at least some results to make the image look somewhat familiar so some Google-fu can do the rest.

I’ve tried removing the zeroed data before and it just screws up the image even more. I think those areas used to have legit image data that was overwritten, and whatever was there is irretrievable.

And Drakonslayor, don’t worry about finishing first, this image has been out since yesterday and no one’s made any meaningful progress other than what I mentioned earlier.

I have the same feeling @solarparty . Other things I have tried so far:

• Turn the image into an audio spectogram (Audacity, raw import)
  • JPEG fixers like Stellar Phoenix and a couple of others.
    No thumbnail data inside, nothing to be fixed.
  • Using the cleaned up image from a Reddit user, posted by @solarparty in image search machines.
  • Google image search, recognised as an ironing board … lol.
    Keywords used were mostly sci-fi related
  • Yandex image search, which I often prefer over Google in cases like this.
  • TinEye, no luck at all.
  • StegSolve and alike.
  • File hiding tools like VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt
  • Outguess

I think I can use some ideas, because I am running thin :cry:

Edit: Maybe there just is no clue to be found and it was just filler in addition to the pdf content.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into those methods. I’ve also searched for hidden file markers (zip, rar) to see if a file is embedded, but no luck.

The texturing at the top of the object looks like the kind of decorative, flowery flourishes you’d see on works from the Renaissance era. Which is odd to me, because the object itself looks fairly techy. I really have no idea what to make of it visually.

I’m starting to wonder if the glitching is a red herring, and whatever hidden data there might be is actually in the visual image, probably in the pixellated object. Perhaps representing binary data or something. I have to believe something is there since they bothered to link to the image within the PDF.

1 Like

I do tend to believe there must be something more to it than just a corrupted image, beyond recognition. So I have been looking at the textual content for clues and similarities with the Myriad website. I did find the following pretty interesting:

NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is located on the Eastern end of La Canada (though its mailing address is in Pasadena). It is the primary United States research and development center for the robotic exploration of the solar system.
Source Wikipedia:
La Cañada Flintridge, California - Wikipedia
So I then looked into JPL:
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Wikipedia

Maybe something will give us a hint as to what the image is supposed to be.

Update: I just got my program from my co-worker… I will see what I can do after lunch when I get time.

1 Like

If you were able to clean up the image, I doubt it would resemble anything in real life. It’s got to be something new Hello Games is making for No Man’s Sky. So you won’t find the image on Google.

This is what i have so far… i’m working on the colour and alignment… does it look like anything to anyone? looks like a new structure.

thats all i can do today i think, i might be able to keep going on it tonight. peace out people.

Reminds me of this Monolith:

2 Likes

I have had true colour come through at parts and it’s white not stone coloured. Just for reference

Well, i would be surprised if the actual image would come out exactly like this Monolith. From what i can see on the picture the shading on the upper part looks like a round shape and not straight, flat, sufaces. However, i felt the need to point it out. Even if it is coincidence.

Oh sorry I meant to say in the other post “it does look quite similar But…”

I just wanted to give more reference as to the look of the structure

Drakonslayer, it seems like there may be two images, I keep seeing the same references in the hex, 3F FF D0 EA followed by lots of 0’s. Seems to be the junk or second image. Not sure yet as I’ve simply been deleting this stuff and it seems to be working on re-aligning the picture. The give away is the junk code increments by 1 each block. so the second block is 3F FF D1 EA…

1 Like