Is There a Base Limit?

I build lots of bases and I read online that there was no limit to how many bases you can have, but now when I try and place a base computer I get the message, “construction limit reached.”

Is there a base limit or is this just a bug?

4 Likes

There is a global parts limit per save of 20,000. Another limit is 3,000 parts to be able to upload it, but this can be exceeded, if you wish to not make it public. There is also a limit to how many bases will be shown in a Teleporter on a Space Station or at your base. The large Teleporter aboard the Anomaly is however able to list more.

5 Likes

I do know about the 3,000 parts limit, I went well over it when building one of my bases. I must have hit the global 20,000 parts limit because I just realized I cant place anything at all without getting the error.

I don’t want to remove any of my bases, so I guess I’ll just have to stop building, thanks for the help.

7 Likes

I’m actually wondering, is there a way around the 20,000 limit, like changing something in the settings? Because I don’t feel motivated to play if I cant build, but I also don’t want to delete any bases or start a new file.

5 Likes

I haven’t tried it myself, but in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man’s Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML there used to be a setting for “BaseBuildingLimit”. The main catch is that you need to find out by trial and error which base size will crash your PC, and you can’t upload those bases.

4 Likes

I just went into my files but there was no BaseBuildingLimit, only a RemoveBaseBuildingRestrictions, which I set to true but it didnt solve my issue.

5 Likes

Seems they fixed that loophole then.

That one only removes restrictions where you can build, not how much.

4 Likes

I’m guessing there’s no way past the object limit then, huh.
I’ll just have wait and see if they end up increasing this limit then.

4 Likes

I’ve just downsized a few bases to basic outposts & deleted a few others I rarely visit.
Not sure if I’m actually anywhere near the limit but I find that over time, older bases just become obsolete & updates often prompt me to rebuild in a new location while trying different things. I also find that load-in time is much better for smaller bases. (PS4)

4 Likes

I just built a base under a landing platform at a depot and decided to build it smaller but, some of my pieces seem to have “attached” themselves to the platform. I get a prompt telling me I cannot edit that piece… :thinking: So I now have 4 pieces I can never reclaim.

5 Likes

I have a decent pc, so I don’t have much of a problem with load times, but otherwise downsizing seems like a temporary solution since I will eventually reach the cap again. I’m not comfortable deleting bases either since I feel like I’m losing the work I put into them and I’ll lose the interesting locations I like to set up bases at.

4 Likes

I have managed to run into the global limit myself, as I love to build bases. Of course removing obsolete bases helped at first, but at some point there was just nothing left I was willing to remove. I then started using additional saves to at least be able to continue building new bases, but it has a downside. When using a different save, bases from another save will not be downloaded for you. This mechanic makes perfect sense to allow an actual fresh start, by not sharing anything done in another save on the same account.

So at some point, considering the large amount of bases I truly wish to keep, I just decided to buy another copy of the game on my alt Steam account. Bases that are uploaded to the servers, will exist for other accounts, regardless of what save they were made in. The only requirement is being in the same game mode. So basically I now have one account to make all my bases with, spread across several save slots. My other account can play and visit all of them without issue. Problem sorted, or at least delayed for a while :wink:

The only restriction is not being able to make changes to these bases, as I am technically not owner on that account. I am also not able to run two instances of the game, to have both accounts on at the same time, which would allow me to share editing rights. I am just forced to switch account depending on what I wish to do at the time. If I want to build, I use my ‘building’ account (main), but If I just want to play the game, with at least these bases present, I use my ‘playing’ account (alt).

I will have to say though that I do make heavy use of the Save Editor, as well as the NMS Blender plugin. This allows me to not only be way more creative than you’d normally be able to in a vanilla game, but also easily copy/paste bases around and get things truly organised. I am an avid builder, love being creative and create cool bases. Without a second account and making use of some of the tools available, I would not have been able to solve the issue of having to make choices. I can truly enjoy all I have ever made, until I will once again run into limits. I might have to consider yet another account/copy, if I keep it up :laughing:

5 Likes

I do the same type of thing. I have 4 profiles with a save each in normal mode and 2 of those have a permadeath/survival save. I just bounce between them and Ive never hit a cap yet :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow! I hope what I am about to say will not cause you guys any kind of panic or anything but, after so many updates, old bases just get too buggy so I have deleted all of my old bases…I took lots of pics first. I guess I feel like each creation is more like a sandcastle than an actual castle.

6 Likes

Maybe I am just getting too attached to my bases. I used to have the same problem with minecraft where I never wanted to start a new world cause I worked so much on just the one. But I learned to let worlds go and start fresh so I guess I’ll just start a new file. Probably one where I build less.

Glad to have gotten more opinions on this.

3 Likes

Wow. Even with all of the deleting I have done, I currently have 19 bases…I really thought it was less than that. :smile:

2 Likes

Just saw a message on Steam discussions where the player was bragging about the fact that he had over 100 bases… I wondered if that was true or if itwas DJT in disguise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It only takes 8 parts (? )to make an uploadable base. Some of mine are very small. So it could technically be true. It is unlikely they are complex bases. So yeah, prolly just a bit of bragging.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard a few guys building lots of small outposts, they were all galaxy jumpers heading for 255.

2 Likes