HRH Queen Elizabeth II

The Royal funeral is finally over. U.K. Folk Museum and Medieval Theme Park T.M. can at last return to business as usual.

A few months ago, at the time of the royal jubilee, I noticed a level of global interest I had not expected. It occurred to me that all over the world, there were people (an awful lot of people) who wanted a Queen. It further occurred to me that to those people, it didn’t seem to matter whose Queen it was. If they didn’t have a Queen of their own, and they wanted one, they would adopt Elizabeth as their own.

Of course, this didn’t involve anything as complicated or difficult as a Queen actually ruling over anything. People didn’t want a Queen with power - but they wanted a Queen.

Now she’s gone, and the world reaction has been astonishing. A couple in Seattle sold their car to get the air fare to London. A man from Tokyo gave up his job because they wouldn’t give him time off to come and watch the funeral. Normal, respectable people have come from all over the world, and spent days on the Thames Embankment sleeping under plastic bags in the rain. Over the last week I have seen hundreds of similar stories.

This kind of behaviour goes way beyond celebrity fandom. It looks more like medieval pilgrimage, and the worship of saints. I’m not at all sure what’s going on, but it’s certainly a phenomenon. I am both puzzled and fascinated.

Your collective thoughts are, as always, welcome.

7 Likes

My thoughts: the leaders of this world seem to have lost their minds. The Queen always had a smile. Was always respectable. She was a symbol of stability is what has been stated over and over again in the US media. Stability is rare these days. I think we all know that an era is gone. What is coming does not bring a lot of comfortable feelings…
One note, the US media was floored by how respectable and quiet the crowd was. I do believe it was respect but I believe it was also grave concern for what comes next.
I am not trying to be bleak. I believe things will get better. But, it won’t come easily.
I choked up when the bagpiper slowly faded away as she was lowered into the vault. It was so symbolic of so many things right now.

7 Likes