How Do I Talk to Someone in Multiplayer?

I just got a PS+ membership and a headset w/mic. Played a couple of missions with random players who joined me. How do I talk to someone in multiplayer? Much thanks!

2 Likes

Should be in the 2nd OPTIONS menu.
Turn on the various desired settings to permit chatting, damage etc.
…and take note of what permissions you grant others in regards to your buildings.

Also… Make sure you jam the mic plug in quite hard as the 3.5 plug can be a bit cantankerous.

3 Likes

Enable Voice Chat. In the settings @Mad-Hatter mentioned.

1 Like

No, voice chat just vanished on PS4 months ago. Maybe it’s a bug that HG hasn’t noticed all this time. I thought it was intentional.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, that is strange.

I think I can vaguely remember voice chat being present in the early days of the nexus, but it disappeared after the first patch. Or I was really baked and imagined it, both plausible :wink:

5 Likes

Voice chat should be available and can be enabled/disabled through the in-game Network settings. When it was first introduced with NEXT, it used to be proximity based, which is no longer the case. When enabled, everyone in the same instance should be able to hear you, but it appears to only work if you are in the same group. So for voice chat to work, make sure to join or create a group with other players. Keep in mind that players may not have voice chat enabled on their end.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will give it a try when I am in a group. Hopefully I will find someone who has voice chat & speaks English.

3 Likes

Voice chat is not available in NMS on PS4 anymore. It may or may not be a bug, who knows?

4 Likes

I’d like to point out that the new patch notes just shown on the new development update says “Re-enabled Voice Chat for PS4”. So it was intentional, and it’s nice they finally acknowledged it. Would have been nice if they had told us it was being taken when it was.

8 Likes

Thanks! AWESOME!!

2 Likes

Happy cake day!

3 Likes

Wow, hard to believe 3 years ago I was creeping on here, trying to figure out if the people on the discussion forum were “real” people or npc plants and if the ARG was related to NMS or not.

6 Likes

By the way, voice chat in PS4 still doesn’t work. You definitely don’t hear anyone in the Nexus when not in a group. And even when I was in a group, they didnt say anything. So not sure if voice chat is even a thing still on PS4. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

3 Likes

A friend and I played a week ago and voice was working for us. We connected by joining the other’s game, we didn’t just run into each other and then start a group. I haven’t ever heard anyone talking in the nexus (but I normally have MP off or restricted to friends only so that will need some testing).

4 Likes

I played with a guy on PS4 last week and we chatted. No problems.
Although, I never hear chat on the Nexus. I have wondered about that. I usually have vioce chat off. I have turned it on a few times and still heard nothing. I had no problem chatting with the guy in my group while at the Nexus

3 Likes

I’m on PS4, I could chat to xbox players in my group.

Off topic, Im Curious if anyone can see bases cross platform without being in a persons group.

3 Likes

Ah ok. So the one guy I was in a group with must just have had his mic turned off. Sounds like no one has voice chat from ambient (not in your group) multiplayer anymore, though I think we did when Beyond launched. Good to know, thanks

2 Likes