Have you been to the center of the galaxy?

@Oshoryu + @Mad-Hatter:

Would that sorta imply that @zsigmond has been informing / continues to inform the Gamepedia page on Galaxies? :wink:

Like, holy hell, 60+ galaxies is a helluva journey… Clearly, he’s going for the 255 complete set for a record attempt… I guess, Somebody’s Gotta Do It!
(I wonder what HG would award the person who does it First? and/or 2nd & 3rd??)

1 Like

Wait… @Virakotxa – after Gal.255, you revert to Euclid like any double-byte counter reverts to 00 after hitting FF? :::sighs::: That’s a little anti-climactic, isn’t it? :confused:

2 Likes

Hi @Ghosst – seems like (at least) one IS already available…

As @DarthTrethon already shared above:

1 Like

For a long time now a group called the CSFD have been listing locations of their travels in [ETARC HUB]: CSFD Address reporting.
Feel free to have a look but please don’t post or comment in there. It’s reserved specifically for those CSFD reports.

2 Likes

Wow… holy cow, Mads… :open_mouth:
Citizen Science FRONTIERS Division… :smiley:

I did also just stumble onto this guy using a BUG to Galaxy-Hop, and tracking ALL of them:

2 Likes

I edited your reply to show the mentions correctly.

The bug sure helped to travel galaxies fast, but after the latest discovery of returning to Euclid after the 255th galaxy, I wonder if this same bug has prevented this person to experience the same. I also believe that said Reddit user used a mod, which may also have prevented a return to Euclid. Not sure, but interesting none the less.
See:

3 Likes

@zsigmond is so far out in his journey he rarely receives our transmissions these days, but he is always listening :slight_smile: ill be waiting on the other end with cake when he comes full circle :birthday:

6 Likes

Thanks, @DevilinPixy. :smiley:

I learned “the hard way” that, as a nearly-brand-new user here, I was limited to @-mentioning a MAX of 2 ppl, so I’d edited my post with spaces to “un-mention” 2… and used a follow-up “Reply” post to @ them.

Now it’s been edited (thank you), I may as well remove the extra post.

Not to mention, my wide-scope reading and replying has earned me an “upgrade” to non-limited level access, which means I don’t have the 2-@ limit anymore. :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Yeah! Zig is only hyper jumping, no portals, no exploits.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Creating a new reply for the additional mentions is indeed a good way to go about it. You’ll be fine now, as you gained trust and increased level as an active user :wink:

There doesn’t seem to be an emoticon for :beamingproudly:

LOL

… so I’ll substitute :blush: / :sunglasses: / :grin: / :innocent: / :crazy_face:

ThankYouVeryMuch :smiley:

I apologize, what do you mean?

No worries, @Ghosst – further up, I’d tried to “suggest” making / keeping a “List of Galaxies” and making it “public”…

You’d replied that it would be a “Good idea”

… but I’d not then been aware that such a List “already exists” in Gamepedia.

Hope that goes some way to clearing your confusion…? :smiley:

@Argent-Star A player has actually recently completed that journey.
Not only that he did it entirely in IN PERMADEATH MODE!!!

Amazing huh! He was interviewed about his journey across 256 galaxies on youtube. Mind you I don’t think he could have stopped much to admire the marvellous worlds he was perhaps passing by. I think it would be good to award any player that does it with their personal, specially designed ship or freighter or even suit, Without cheats or bugs it’s quite an achievement in any mode.

Thinking about that, it would be cool to have a specially designed suit badge or even suit or trophy or something for achieving maybe a milestone in Zoological endeavours. For example after 500 planets scanned of all creatures. Perhaps a specially adapted cage or fish tank to keep a pet of your choice on your homebase.

@jedidia Hope this helps and it might be worth checking again. I checked the galaxy map before and after travelling through a black hole and made a note of the distance to the center of the galaxy each time. Often the distance travelled can be well over 500K light years which is far greater than any single hop of 2K to 3K of my freighter using all available Warp attachments. As a crow flies (using their specially adapted bird space helmet) the distance hopped through a black hole is often above 60K.

A good tip is to keep a spare ship handy just for black hole travel and not bother repairing it. That can save repairing things that are unprotected in tech slots.

2 Likes

Total distance travelled is pretty enourmous, yes, but I never had a black hole jump that brought me more than 10’000 lightyears closer to the center, usually less than 5000. With a fully charged hyperdrive with a decently outfitted explorer (not even counting freighters) you can make up to around 8000. And 5 warp cells are a lot easier to craft than reparing the broken stuff.
It’s well possible that you can get a jump that brings you in closer, I didn’t do it very often since the results were always rather sobering.
But 500k is out of the question. That would be the entire distance from your starting location.

1 Like

I’ll check again. Perhaps I am mistaking the distance unit ‘u’ for ‘LY’. Just have to wait to get on the PC to play Lol.

I don’t know if someone has already mentioned this but most players will know…

A portal address which is close to the centre of a galaxy can be used as a quick jump to NEAR the centre of ALMOST ANY other galaxy - it will just vary a bit for each galaxy used in… I have however heard that some addresses will fail to work in some galaxies.

This ‘trick’ alone makes galaxy traversal about a quintillion times easier!

1 Like

Right! So I should get to working on that?? Hmmmm think I’m picking up what your putting down

I just now made it to the center of Euclid! Wooo!!

Poked around the haze zone a bit, and saw some strange things…
[potential spoiler below]

So I got to the end of the Path to the Center, but I didn’t make the jump. Instead, I just zoomed into the haze zone from the galactic map, and got as close to the glowing singularity as I could- felt like a cat batting at a ball.
When I was close to the center, around 100 ly or so, I pinged for discoveries and a “contact” appeared. The word “contact” was just floating there in empty space, as if above a hidden or invisible star system. Before too long, another ping caught my ear, and sure enough, another “contact” floated before me in the void.
I did this for a while, and found a chain of 5 of these "contact"s, where I could toggle one right after then other (using L1 on PS4). They were always in fixed locations, but not always visible from all angles. I grabbed a video capture of all this, and will try to upload it if people are interested.

Like I said- I just made it to the center tonight, like a few hours ago (guh, I gotta sleep), so I have no idea if this is a known thing or not. A quick search didn’t yield any similar experiences, but who knows, could be a glitch or something…
I’ll continue exploring around Euclid’s center until NEXT comes around.

2 Likes

I’m day one player, played hundreds of hours and I’m not even close to a half of a distance to the center of a galaxy.