Getting a laugh out of life

I know this is the getting a laugh out of life thread but recently it’s also been the OMIGLOBDARKCRYSTALRETURNS thread ans I’m wondering now that we’ve all had time to digest it, what everyone thought.

Ill just start by saying wow, what a treat. What a gift to recieve. What a passionate project full of love and detail and it’s just as dark and twisted as the original, I was worried they’d leave out the childhood trauma stuff but it’s all there and then some.

I loved how fleshed out and unique all the tribes of gelfling were and the world of Thra has never felt more alive than this to me. I was worried being a prequel I’d not find the story very captivating, we all know where this is going after all. But I think knowing where this all ends up, made some of the scenes and interactions with characters that more harrowing. I didn’t want to get attached to them knowing how it all ends but by episode three I loved all of them.

Except for selendra (selendar? Seledor? Forget name, but the new All Mathra.), no amount of redemption arc can justify her stubborness and sociopathic tendencies.

The only saving grace would have been if she gave her life to save Tavra in the catacombs, I was almost expecting it to be honest. I was thinking Tavras mind being bonded to the Arathrin would be explored a little more. Of course they did make a point for the camera to track the little flower thjng running away after she died so it’s very possible her consciousness still remains within the Arathrin flower thingy and we may even seen a return of Tavra, in a sense, in season two.

7 Likes

I just finished watching today also.

Had similar concerns, but they really did a great job of re-creation and adding new, also kept the dark in the dark crystal for sure.

Now for a labyrinth reboot :wink:

5 Likes

It’s not gonna be easy getting someone to fill David Bowies cod peice :blush:

6 Likes

Yeah, there is no one who can fill David Bowie’s role.

8 Likes

I am a huge Metroid fan so I gotta love this!

4 Likes

Impressive, but can it do the Morph ball? :joy:

2 Likes

I have not finished watching yet, I keep thinking the same thing. This will end in tragedy.

Here is the funny part, my wife and three kids all refuse to watch it. The creep factor is way to high. They will leave the room. :laughing:

They will be more on board with the labyrinth reboot. The goblin King and his bulge is less scary then Skeksis. :unamused:

8 Likes

This series was a breath of fresh air amidst a sea of substandard reboots and remakes.

I agree with your assessment of the megalomaniac. However, I think the remaining Gelflings needed all of the help they could get after taking extreme losses and during an extreme emergency situation. I also think they want her sociopathy to resurface as a plot device when the remaining Gelflings need to regroup and restructure in the face of the Skecsis and their new invention (I was wondering through all of the episodes when we would see the Garthim.)

5 Likes

Being faced with a somewhat rushed push to production of a major feature of our webservice at the beginning of next week that I don’t feel all too comfortable about, I found some solace and a hearty laugh in Aragorns speech. Well, almost Aragorns speech, I modified it slightly for the occasion. I’m pretty sure the guys at Hello Games can relate…

My brothers!

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me!

A day may come when we actually know what we’re doing, when we are sure we tested everything and resolved all technical debt, but it is not this day.

An hour of certainty and confidence when all documentation has been read and understood, but it is not this day!

This day we release!

By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you deploy, and hope for the best!

10 Likes

:laughing: :dagger:

4 Likes

Wow! I just barely survived what is being called the Great Verizon Outage of 2019. The local Verizon store had at least 100 cars in the parking lot. It was a dangerous place. :grimacing:
I decided it was not just me, went to GameStop and picked up Link’s Awakening. Spent the rest of the day on Koholint Island.

9 Likes

Too many times…and birthing new Frankenstein-systems…arise, we have deployed you.

5 Likes

6 Likes

OMG! That is an awesome exchange. :joy:

“Yeah, I know how that feels”

5 Likes

Most epic twitter exchange ever! :rofl:

5 Likes

Funny indeed …
Not sure if anyone has listened to their latest podcast some time ago, but it makes you wonder if they’d even be interested again :roll_eyes:
Included with time stamp below (not working > time = 14m48s):

5 Likes

Having listened to the new album, it really is far removed from their previous work.

It makes sense as the next logical step in their evolution, it still feels like 65dos but it is a large departure from previous albums.

It’s extremely atmospheric, very little melody, any that does exist, is sparse, there’s some new textures in there too they seem to have borrowed from thom yorks love of the prophet V synthesiser, there’s some nice old school modular analogue synth sounds now whereas before their synth sounds where more modern and digital sounding.

They could score another Hello Games game absolutely, but they definitely won’t be returning to no mans sky unless its purely to score the world of glass and nothing more (their new sound would be perfect for an end game expansion that rounds everything up nicely)

6 Likes

This is especially for @Polyphemus
What If English Were Phonetically Consistent? - YouTube

4 Likes

So this is laughable. …not sure if its humurous though :no_mouth:

On the day (yesterday) of a new update, my laptop battery said goodbye…cannot power up on mains…hope its not catastrophic and can get it replaced…:sleepy:

3 Likes

Although not common, some laptops require a working battery. Most laptops will however work on mains, some require the battery to be placed whether dead or not, while others can do completely without a battery.

Depending on the model, you will most likely be able to find a replacement battery. I have had this happen once and no problem buying a new for a reasonable price, well worth it. Let’s just hope it is the battery and not the charging chip that fails.

Good luck :wink:

5 Likes