Getting a laugh out of life

Here is the original trailer for the original movie. Can’t wait for the new one.

6 Likes

Hi yes the artist who inspired and collaborated with Jim Henson on production design is Brian Froud, known for his fantasy art.

7 Likes

They’re making a series out of the dark crystal? Hmmmm… this could go either way, I guess. Not sure if it’s supposed to be a prequel show of the original movie or a reimagining of it. Too long ago since I saw the movie. Should rewatch it I guess, after all it’s on Netflix too…

3 Likes

Hi its a prequel not a redo , so new story, expanded world and more more more etc😊

2 Likes

Wow ok so Aug 2019 goes down as the most hype filled month #ever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I remember years ago Genddy Tartakovski was tied to make a dark crystal sequel or prequel with The Orphanage. The whole thing collapsed in the end because he was pushing for puppets and animatronics in the mid 00s, when every studio exec demanded everything be CG and awful. They couldnt settle on an agreement and he moved on (ironically to a fully cg animated movie :joy:). Genddy kinda fell off my radar then until he returned to us and finished Samurai Jack :slight_smile:

At the time I was maybe 17-18 and very on board for more dark crystal. Now Id be happy if it just stayed as it was and we never got anything else of equal calibre. But I’m also at the age where I’m totally fine with someone giving it a go. As long as their heart and intent is coming from the right place.

I dunno how I feel bout a TV show though, they might overexplain things and steal some of the mystery and magic :astonished:

5 Likes

10 Likes

Sitting in Waffle House. I had no idea they have a theme song, :joy:

3 Likes

For those who might not remember the original.

3 Likes

And some more

5 Likes

13 Likes

To answer EA’s question: You get them by not trying to milk them for every penny all the time… :rofl:

10 Likes

Some behind the scenes of the upcoming prequel Dark Crystal series coming to Netflix

7 Likes

I’m still a bit bitter because Lisa Henson is one of the people who was pushing for Gendys prequel movie to be all CG, which is why it fell apart :frowning:

It’s up on Netflix now so I’m gonna set my bias and bitterness aside and dive right into it :slight_smile: they had me at Simon Pegg.

7 Likes

3yrs never too late…

The original… sitting on their shelf all this time …at the game store in one of my local supermarkets which I just walk past all the time, I went in today to look for a power supply with specific Volts n Amps which I couldn’t find elsewhere, while checking out with my purchase, I asked if they knew if they would be getting in any NMS Beyond new versions in Sept…only to be told they still had this :blush: my first physical NMS merch.
(I am a PC player, and am happy to support HG for all their amazing work and free updates)

11 Likes

There’s these programmer jokes “only two hard things…”. It started quite a while ago with Phil Karltons original, describing the pain every developer feels when he has to come up with descriptive class names:

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things.

One of my favourite spin-offs, because it relates so much to my own line of work, was this one:

There are only two hard problems in distributed systems:
2. Exactly-once delivery

1. Guaranteed order of messages
  2. Exactly-once delivery

(I just realise that the forum cannot even display this properly, because markdown doesn’t see the first 2. as part of a list because it’s out of ordering, which makes this even funnier… :rofl:)

And finally, I felt the urge to add my own to the list:

There are only two hard problems in procedural generation:

1. consistent random access
  2. astrid concocts meanness
9 Likes

I’m afraid I’m not enough of a programmer to understand the first two examples, but “astrid concocts meanness” made me smile.

It’s a bit like the old “There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don’t”.

9 Likes

Agh! So that was the inspiration for Yoda! :giggles: :joy:

3 Likes

GO BEYOND ISN’T A POLITE INVITATION.
IT’S A BOLD CHALLENGE.
TO BREAK BARRIERS.
DEFY CONVENTION.
SHATTER EXPECTATIONS.

First time I saw these :rofl:

11 Likes

I guess they got themselves a nutrient processor…

9 Likes