Getting a laugh out of life

Well, that was a merry bit of confusion right there… The german title of C.S. Lewis’ “out of the silent planet” is “Der Schweigende Stern”, and I was all like “How did they make a movie of that without me knowing??”

Bonus confusion: Iron Maidens “out of the silent planet” is not inspired by Lewis’ book, merely its name. THe lyrics were instead inspired by the movie “Forbidden Planet”, which is one of the great underrated classics of the genre that had tons of influence on later, more famous titles:

If you never watched that one, you totally should!

5 Likes

Oh cool, an old German-Polish adaptation of a Stanislav Lem book! I have a scifi book collection with a lot of cover art in that style (and a lot of second hand books with lost covers…), I should make an online gallery one day.

4 Likes

Gotta love Robby!

4 Likes

Not exactly old, but you can’t beat Ijon Tichy! :rofl:

6 Likes

The books are only slightly less silly. Now I wonder whether the Poles know that their neighbours made a whole parody series about them being astronauts.

… I’ll ask Jacek at work and report back. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes. Thank you. I call them men because that is what they look like

4 Likes

I bought that one too. One of my favorites! Will be watching it tonight. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s the craziest thing ever! Love it! :laughing:

4 Likes

Just don’t try to learn any german from it… :grimacing:

3 Likes

I learned a little German years ago from a woman I met from Germany. I was supposed to move to Stuttgart Germany but time and unforseen events moved me near Stuttgart Arkansas instead. :upside_down_face: Ce la vie…wait, that’s not German. :smile:

5 Likes

SM tweets

Reply to tweet

SM replies to reply

5 Likes

This is not really funny but then again it is. :upside_down_face: maybe I am just strange. However, if you do receive some of these please, DO NOT plant them. Apparently they are showing up around the world.

Looking for something new to cook or have a rare cookbook to add?
https://archive.org/details/cbk

Los Angeles Times: Chocolate factory glitch dusts Swiss town in cocoa.

This is a funny yet sweet story. I am a chalk lover myself. I used chalk and a blackboard to homeschool my kids and I also used whiteboards. Nothing compares to the chalk. :heart_eyes:
CNN: How a brand of chalk achieved cult status among mathematicians.

CNN: A 150-pound runaway tortoise is back home after 74 days on the lam.

6 Likes

LoL

2 Likes

Wishing hurricanes could blow covid away, :smile: In the direct path. Hoping power stays on.

7 Likes

Hold on tight…good luck

2 Likes

…it begins…it is not often when you live in Arkansas that you get placed under a Tropical Storm Warning

7 Likes

Stay safe.

3 Likes

I’ve been in various storms and it is worth noting that Tropical storms are very tolerable in the U.S. due to building standards. Its the flooding that mainly can be an issue and leaky roofs but those are generally more annoying than scary. Nevertheless, always be prepared with extra non-perishable food and water and extra warm clothes.

5 Likes

Also, its a good idea to store those inside a water-tight storage container in the trunk of your car.

3 Likes

Giant 80+ year old oak trees with shallow roots don’t fare well in long-lasting winds especially when the ground is saturated. Trees down is a big deal here in addition to the flooding…and I have 5 huge oaks around my house. :scream:
Also, just heard the weatherman say this is the FIRST Tropical Storm Warning in the state. Woo Hoo! History in the making! :crazy_face:

8 Likes