Future Update Speculations

Yea I doubt they’d devote an entire sub team to updating it but, it would be an awesome thing whenever development ends. NMS has some crazy potential to become a “forever game” of sorts if HG could give control to community Devs. We can already sorta set up our own servers, so having entire mechanics and updates come in from modders could help keep it alive for a long time after HG leave it behind.

5 Likes
  1. In Game tool to create custom missions, and upload for bounty. Could be story driven, but I think allowing that would just cause confusion with casual players and true game lore…but hard to say.

2, Sure why not

1. No clue. Never used. Never heard off…don’t mess with mods generally. Don’t hang on discord to discuss internal workings.

2. See #5

3 Likes

Waiting Sucks.
In other news Nintendo is showing off stuff today…likely NMS??

4 Likes

I think Sony has a presentation today too? Both platforms with an upcoming NMS release, nice lil line up for HG to reveal stuff altogether. Now this see if they take advantage of it.

4 Likes

really couldn’t ask for a better time to reveal stuff. build some hype before Oct 7th

5 Likes

9 Likes

No NMS details…seems like a wasted opportunity…

4 Likes

Not holding out a ton of hope but, the State of Play today is supposed to showcase updates on PSVR2 games. Hope there’s something there? 10 games , mostly japanese according to Sony, doesn’t leave a lot of room though.

5 Likes

13 Likes

Thats awesome lol

4 Likes

6 Likes

Hmmm.

• New exotic worlds?
  • Exotic rings?
  • And one to rule them all?

:wink:

5 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deciding the Future of Our Forums, Atlas CSD

13 Likes

Confirmed 4.0 release date

11 Likes

Oooh, I should make popcorn then go to YouTube to watch how differently everyone reads this one. The 4.0 coming Oct 7 doesn’t seem ambiguous. But “the whole team is fully focused” is going to light up some of the speculators. As will the “Switch is our next big release.” Of course this doesn’t make any reference to the Apple ports, nor the physical releases which would have taken some effort so those people will be wondering.

I think we get clearer information from the emoticons. :popcorn: :wine_glass: :wink:

(If it is not clear, I am writing this with a smile. I’m not worried or stressed about what 4.0 will be.)

7 Likes

The general thought is: Oh no, it’s only a switch release.

Edit: To clarify, even if it’s “only a switch” release, that’s fine for me. There will be other releases. A version number means nothing.

8 Likes

According to Sean, they are busy with both content and Switch simultaneously. Question: How are they busy with content and yet busy with Switch? Answer: Obviously, there’s content coming with 4.0…

Sean’s Blog Post

“With plenty of new content for NMS underway, the team are keeping very busy!

Sean’s Tweet

"Our next big release marks 4.0, and the whole team is fully focused on delivering."

Interpretation

"With plenty of new content for NMS underway, and the Nintendo Switch, the team are keeping very busy! Our next big release marks 4.0, and the whole team is fully focused on delivering."

Delivering what? Huge 4.0 content update, included with Switch!

Speculation

On one hand, I accept that there may be no 4.0 content update. However, “plenty of content coming,” it’s okay to speculate!

On the other hand…

What if skipping a ‘variation overhaul’ and delaying 4.0 for two years straight already built that hype? What if Switch and the date Oct 7th were the reveal that wound-up and built even more hype? - Hype for what? Huge 4.0 content update! - Sean could be toying with us, downplaying with “Switch is our next big release,” as if Switch ‘IS’ the update and there is no 4.0 content update included. However, if this was the case, then Switch was why they skipped a ‘variation overhaul’ and kept delaying 4.0 for two years straight.

Opinion

I seriously doubt it. There’s too much built-up anticipation and marketing potential in 4.0. Furthermore, this does not coincide with them being busy with both content and Switch simultaneously. Coming soon!

3 Likes

4.0 is a milestone release, there will be a PC update. It might not be large new systems. As they are trying to make Switch work with all the existing features first, but there will be things added. Personally I have felt and sill think there will be lots of small things. Certainly new stuff under hood for optimizing that may shared with other versions. I think / hope story will be a big part of this one. I suspect upgrades for vehicles / slots etc is logical.

4.0 wont just be switch, I mean switch cards are already mailed out, its already functional. It will be the day one update with all the extra stuff they managed to get done, and updates for everyone else.

But its not far off…we will know soon.

5 Likes

I sense the lowering of expectations:

[2022 has already been one of our most busy years to date with Outlaws, Steam Deck, Sentinels, Switch, Mac OS, Leviathan, expeditions + more

The focus of 4.0 is our Switch release, an opportunity to introduce a new group of players into our welcoming community. More will follow](https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1573304475799982080)

but I still believe we will get some stuff…and if we don’t then whatever comes after was probably planned for 4.0

5 Likes