Frontiers Observations/Wishlist

Yes, I meant buildable teleporters like on space stations, each one has an address, but the one you build you can make only go to a specific address or have a list of available address’ to choose from.

3 Likes

Here is an observation from today’s Expedition 2 Normal save.

I did not complete EX2, yet it shows at the bottom of my mission list. Selecting it, allowed me to see that the phases that I didn’t complete were in fact showing as completed. Selecting them gave me the rewards and I even got the Golden Vector, all 5 phases, autocompleted. So I am going to load the EX1 normal save and see if it also will give up the unearned phase items.
Thanks to the coder at HG if this is intentional, unmentioned bonus for being curious🤨

PS: I have become addicted to Dirt Rally 2, invested in the G920 wheel and steel stand . I love beiing sideways on dirt at 100+mph. Little time for NMS, but I am still around lurking. :grin: I’ve been on this fine forum for too long to not stop by and give some likes at least. Enjoy!

10 Likes

Strange icon for PC, Steam and I’m using a mouse.

7 Likes

I have that icon on my settlement as well, and I am also a keyboard&mouse PC player. I thought the icon belonged to the console player who built their base very close to my settlement, but … yeah… it is part of the settlement marker. Bug? :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Proving yet again that being happy and being oblivious are closely related: I never looked at it that closely and thought it was some sort of little hut.

3 Likes

Definitely a bug. My alt shows that symbol to on occasion and its a PlayStation account.

2 Likes

I have had it all along but I use an Xbox controller on PC. I see the same icon when I start NMS and it informs me which Controller Configuration I am using. (Small box in the lower right shows briefly when starting NMS)

3 Likes

:whale: :sparkles:

Still waiting on the BIG ONE :sweat_drops:

https://nerdist.com/article/could-klingon-bird-of-prey-fit-two-whales-star-trek/

Granted, “Do you swallow the whale? :whale2: Or does the whale swallow you?”

2 Likes

My turn. And yes, I’m going to harp my favorite subject. (strum strum strum)

Lore

This universe has a history. The remains of that history should be scattered all over. There were once many races. Now there are mostly three, with a smattering of Travelers of various races. Everything that happened will be documented somewhere, and will have left its Mark somewhere. And it might even have a bearing on the present and future.

Scholars and sages will be hot to learn of this past, and offer quests to certain locations for this stuff. The Guilds could have their own motivations in this regard, and their own quests.

Pirates and scavengers might have made off with bits of it, especially if it’s considered valuable. We should be able to buy or fight for it.

Some of it might be locked away, and require some detective work to get to it. Scholars, Guildmasters and possibly black marketeers might be able to help with that.

While most of this can be procedurally placed randomly “in front of us,” certain definite locations should be located in the galaxy. Apparently, the various races lived in the Outer Rim of Euclid, and a possible race of Ancients further in towards the center. The homeworlds of the Gek, Korvax and Vy’keen should be out there, and should be interesting.

There could be conspiracies to get caught up in.

There might even be clues about ATLAS out there…

Hopefully Team Mercury considers this stuff, as it not only fleshes out a pretty empty, meaningless universe, but offers all sorts of opportunities for stuff for us to play through.

7 Likes

I too would like not only added lore but added ways to acquire it.

I had originally hoped that ruins would contain artifacts with lore and that monoliths would be big enough to investigate and find more stuff.

For me, that adds to the Explore pillar of the game.

The idea about clues pointing to distant systems also appeals. Again, that encourages exploration – moving onward.

I’ve wondered if ProcGen could allow specific galaxies to be “home” to a specific faction. That would encourage even more exploration.

BTW, anyone who agrees should consider submitting that as a recommended enhancement.
https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new/

7 Likes

I carry a Terrain Manipulator as part of my Multi Tool but Settlements use cement mixers?

8 Likes

Yeah. They’re more concrete than the Terrain Manipulator “wave” action. :wink:

7 Likes

I think Travelers are basically biped shaped bundles of nanites, so we can do a lot more with a multi-tool, or even with what amounts to a hand wave (the construction menu).

This connects to the previous discussion, because I think the vague weirdness of the dialogs allows for tremendous leeway in “do it yourself” lore. I’m not sure that having HG provide an “official canon” is as good a thing as it may seem.

For my part I am slowly wrapping my tendrils around a NMS based fiction story in which the multiverse of NMS will serve as a reincarnation space for the collective species consciousness of a sentient species that frivolously consumes the resources of their world and extinguishes themselves from their reality of origin.

4 Likes

Sounds fun! :smiley:…and oddly familiar…

3 Likes

Procedural Story/Lore

I think that each race should have an “official canon” — Gek, Korvax, Vy’Keen, Traveller, Anomaly, Sentinel (and maybe even more soon :zipper_mouth_face: ) — as this provides a consistent narrative to their most basic origins. However, what we want is “infinite story/lore” in an infinite universe. Right? :infinity: So how do we accomplish — THAT?

Q. How do we accomplish infinity? A. I think the solution is…

• Every Story/Lore Procedural

Uniquely random story/lore per all…

1. 256 Galaxies
  2. Regions of Space
  3. Star Systems
  4. Individual Planets

…per race, that works with each races “official canon.”

I agree, and it goes without saying, really. That player-made story/lore blends beautilfully with procedural story/lore. After all, “How do we have a near infinite universe?” Procedural! — So, “How do we have a near infinite story/lore?” I think we will find that the answer is written in the vastness of many stars! :milky_way::sparkles:

EXAMPLE: We already have this for Frigate Missions. They come back with procedural story/lore. Right?

So…

Advanced: How about a procedural reason for why a specific Region has a procedural name? :drooling_face: Ooo

EXAMPLE: The ancient people of Confluxium Void (Region). Now put that narrative with the other narritives, and add it to settlement narratives. What grand overreaching story/lore do you get? :pray:

Infinity? — It was written in the stars…

:alien: :open_book: :rocket:

“If one layer of procedural is not enough, add another layer.” :ringer_planet:

5 Likes

I have been waiting for them to go in that direction pretty much since release, but it doesn’t look like it’s the way they’re moving…

5 Likes

I think a procedural lore system would be a dandy way to fill in the cracks of whatever overall defined Lore the Team has built. It works pretty okay with the flora and fauna we encounter, though it is a little nutty sometimes. A creature with all the characteristics of a predator can live on the flesh of other fauna, to plants, gravel, and I think I even saw electromagnetic fields with one. And they could be completely docile.

The Gek, Korvax and Vy’keen see things very differently, and this is reflected in their chronicles. Some of this is in the lore revealed in the Planetary Archives. Any remains of the other previous races in the Civilized Age, as I put it, are going to have their own views on things, and no doubt won’t have a very high opinion of ATLAS or the Gek. And making this lore procedural in the other galaxies would be a great idea, using lore templates with assorted variables filling in the details, since Hirk and Dryn’dargh for example are definitely home to Euclid. But I’d have to think that the same sort of story should have played out, over and over, for the other 254 galaxies to have the same Three Races filling it, with ATLAS firmly in control.

I’ll admit that giving us “lore to a point,” where the true origins of everything including ATLAS are foggy might be the best way to go. This would give us the chance to weave our own narrative of history. And the snarky side of me would work that out with conflicting finds, leaving us to scratch our heads. This is true in our own history, where one side or the other of different cultures tell a different story, and it’s up to archaeologists to sort out the true details. I’m doing this very thing in my fic, where Nigel comes across widely differing accounts of things, leaving him to draw a conclusion on scant specifics. I chortle my devious chortle. :laughing:

5 Likes

Probably pre-Foundation and may have been mentioned before…

Find a planet with Salvage.

Hope out and locate a site.

Highlight the icon.

Fly there.

I use the Photon Cannon. Doesn’t matter if part of it is above ground or not.

The goods come to you!

Was helpful during the Expeditions to build up some inventory to cash out.

9 Likes

My current and completely unattainable wishlist is all base related, surprise surprise.

Directional, colour and intensity changeable light, mist, smoke, fire and electricity effects that are not tied to a visible base part.

Placeable npc’s that you can make in the appearance modifier and have them sit stand or walk about.

A range of sound effects, for example fire, electricity, swooshes etc tied to the noise box. (or maybe not tied to a visible item)

An expansion on message modules that you can hide and place next to stuff. Triggering dialogue only in very close proximity and displaying in the same manner as in game lore. With the option to show even when the hud is switched off.

I’m not asking for much eh? :smiley:

Edit: Oh aye, I forgot about the single destination base to base auto teleporters that would work across and between systems.

6 Likes

We are always wanting more “life” in our bases. We have our base techs. If we are ever given a way to make our bases and our settlements one, that will be even better. Another way to bring life to our otherwise lifeless bases, is through story. So, I would really like these

and I would like to be able to record little snippets of story on them much like on the derelict freighters. Not a broadcast message but a written message. It would be fun to place them around our bases and others be able to read them. Is that asking too much? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes