Expedition 5 EXOBIOLOGY (possible spoilers)

After the 7th try. It worked. But it might be that it was due to me leaving the anomaly and coming back in that did it.

2 Likes

Just finished the expedition and I have a question.

Not really a spoiler but just in case, spoiler below:

When you get the deep space lure, you use it to find the the gaseous sentience. But if im not mistaken, the dialog it gives you isnā€™t anything new? Did any of you get a different dialog? Mine said something about ā€œa system that wasā€ and ā€œa system that will beā€. But I think I read that dialog a few times already so I donā€™t think its anything new or special to the expedition.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Finally completed the expedition. I will admit, I am no fan of the Kill 10 Creatures Explorers mission, especially when it needs to be done 16 timesā€¦so I fudged it with save editor. Otherwise, this was an honest run.

Put a link in the top post to Xaineā€™s World vid with helpful info.

7 Likes

It seems that persistence is necessary. Made one and didnā€™t complete the requirement. Made three and feed them to Kronus one after the other and he was happy after the third one.

3 Likes

Cashed in everything.

7 Likes

Updated the Countdown Timer for Expedition 5 - Exobiology :link: (JSFiddle)

Note: Starting a new expedition save will close 48 hours prior to ending!

4 Likes

Could you clarify that a bit more?
What do you mean by ā€œcloseā€ and by ā€œendingā€ do you mean 48 hours before the full Expedition timer is up (in apprx 30 days from now)? Thx!

3 Likes

I take it to mean that the latest time you can start the expedition is 48 hours prior to the end of that expedition.

Thatā€™s likely to reduce complaints from people who start near the end then complain that they could not finish it.

9 Likes

And since two parts of this expedition require waiting 24 hours (the egg and trust missions), you need that time to finish. You can do them together as long as you know about it, but 48 hours would be safer.

3 Likes

I am still working my way through expedition 5. I decided to play it as a normal new game, so, rather than following the objectives in a linear fashion, Iā€™ve been building up my character, and exploring. Then Iā€™ve been ticking off the objectives as they present themselves.

It turns out, this may not have been such a great idea.

One of the problems Iā€™m having is sentinels. Theyā€™re just too tough for me.

I played through the Sentinels update relatively easily. My character was already well armed and armoured, and whilst the new sentinels were tougher, with some dodging and use of cover, I could beat them.

In Expedition 5, I have built up my character with class S weapons and armour upgrades, but theyā€™re almost useless. To bring down a single repair/healing drone, I need to empty a full clip of plama grenades into it. The pulse spitter with three class S upgrades has almost no effect at all. It doesnā€™t hurt them - it just annoys them.

In the meantime, they are attacking me all at once, usually with heavy artillery. In a fight, I can generally manage to survive about 10 seconds. If I can kill one drone in that time, Iā€™m lucky.

I have noticed some players saying that having Laylaps along will pacify aggressive sentinels - but I donā€™t have the flare, and I canā€™t summon him. The flare is not in my inventory, Tethys wonā€™t give me one, Itā€™s not available anywhere in the anomaly. Itā€™s not available via the ā€œXā€ quick menu, and itā€™s not one of the expedition rewards.

Aktogether, I seem to be having a much tougher time than others did.

p.s.

Iā€™ve also seen other players posting that they started the quest with a companion egg in their quick menu - well there wasnā€™t one in mine.

Iā€™m wondering now if Iā€™m playing an early, buggy version - but Iā€™m too far in to start again now.

3 Likes

I had one, but I recruited another companion before I even realised that I had oneā€¦ :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Same here. I adopted and then realized I had a tall long-legged companion ready to hatch.

3 Likes

Soon as I could pull the Anomaly in, I did so and checked to see what I could salvage from the other expeditions. Part of the results were two eggs.

3 Likes

Correct. Previously the latest moment for starting a new expedition save was set to 24 hours prior to ending, but considering milestones in this one, they made it 48 hours, to ensure players not ā€˜startingā€™ too late.

3 Likes

Sounds like you got a raw deal there, Poly. :`(

I have only the bolt-caster with one or two mods (itā€™s my gathering multi-tool). Iā€™m cheesing it though by firing at them from the doorway of an observatory. Sometimes the smaller ones shove their way inside with me and canā€™t fire at me inside.

With the bolt-caster it takes forever to take down a walker. And when they finally explode the walker brain is many metres away from the main body.

I was running around the pile of debris thinking, ā€œdonā€™t they always drop a brain?ā€ and then I stumbled into it on my way back to the ship.

I too am exploring and building and have not yet gone to Point Four. Iā€™m thinking of building up a separate MT that is only for combat.

The stealth component for the MT helps a bit as well

Also I have no idea what a LayLaps isā€¦ >.>
(or I have forgottenā€¦ probably).

@DevilinPixy Thanks for the clarification and also for the lovely count-down web-page! :heart:

3 Likes

Itā€™s the name of the reconstructed sentinel drone you were given in the Sentinels update. Apparently some players are able to summon it in Expeditions 5, and for them, itā€™s very useful. It seems that on planets with aggressive sentinels, they wonā€™t attack you if you have Laylaps with you.

In my case, whilst I had the summoning flare in Sentinels, I didnā€™t get it in Expeditions 5, and it doesnā€™t appear to be available. So I canā€™t summon the drone.

3 Likes

(LayLaps)

Thanks!

I guess I better go do that content. I had no idea. lol

2 Likes

Can somebody tell me the name of the system the third rendevouz (same as the second if I remember correctly) was in? I forgot to collect my giant eggs and have no idea anymore which system it wasā€¦

3 Likes

I wrote them down. I have:

1. Itrum VII
  2. Yubinka Ago XIV
  3. Xandrov VII
  4. Loemfor
  5. Epinsk Rakam

I got my giant eggs from the planet New Muleighle in the Xandrov VIII system. I had a LOT of trouble with the aggressive sentinels. As soon as I showed my face, I would be immediately attacked by 8 sentinels, all at once. The shooting would frighten away any nearby animals, making it impossible to feed or farm them.

In the end, I built a small base, with automatic feeder and livestock unit. That way I could hide from the sentinels, while the machinery fed the animals and collected the eggs. It took a while, though, because not all the animals give giant eggs, but all of them eat the creature pellets and fill up the livestock unit.

p.s.

I said not all the animals lay giant eggs - well, the ones that do donā€™t spawn all over the planet. Before you build your base, you need to make sure itā€™s in an area where the right animals spawn. So look for groups of these:

(Donā€™t pay any attention to the portal address - this is one I adopted, and weā€™re on a different planet now).

5 Likes