Did you push the infamous Red Button?

Sorry… erased by accident…
*rewrite: Saying that i though it was remarkable that the plot of that movie was like the question asked.

2 Likes

Remember, it says a random person in the world. There is a chance, no matter how small, that it could kill someone you know and love, or perhaps a celebrity you like. Are you really willing to take that chance? Remember, you get no money if it kills someone.

2 Likes

Actually, the question was a bit different.
It said you will get a million dollars OR it will kill someone.
You’re not even guaranteed the million dollars.
You could be killing someone for no reason.

1 Like

… or maybe even the button pusher himself! … now that’d be a random twist for ya!

3 Likes

Hence why I may need to push it a few times. I would expect the people I know and love to do the same. And as far as a celebrity? Really? I hardly love any celebrity enough to not want to enjoy their riches for myself, even if it risks putting them in the ground.

the real monster

I don’t think you understand the question, pushing it lots would just increase your chance of dying or loved ones, and them doing it would also do so.

I fully understand the question.

Your family would risk killing you for a million… and vice versa lol

1 Like

Yeah, not retro-sci-fi or cosmic-horrory enough… I was thinking interns work.

:red_circle:
He bears the mark!

Yep. And if I do die, at least they get a half mil from my life insurance policy. I’d be ok leaving them with that.

Insurance does not cover death by red button. Sorry.

5 Likes

ikr, that’s pretty much manslaughter

1 Like

My policy says nothing about red buttons.

Even an AI, through understanding the basics of game-theory would know not to push the button…
Voight-Kampff test is not even necessary!

1 Like

Wonder if is this is a new feature/choice in No Man Sky?

I pushed it…I saw it as a philosophical challenge. Because in the scientific world, problems like this have popped up over time. Social/ethical restraints tend to truncate any effort in any field that could result in leaps-of-technology/understanding.

Example: Before the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was built, some scientists/governments/citizens believed that it COULD possibly create a Black Hole that would end this world…especially when it was revealed that micro-black-holes were observed in smaller mass colliders…that existed for seconds before dissipating. Social/ethical powers blocked the construction of the LHC for years…for the fear of “what might happen.” Eventually, as time went by, those fears were alleviated through released information on the procedures of the experiments, the built-in safety features, and most people forgot about the LHC because it wasn’t being reported in the daily news.

The Big Red Button sometimes represents Progress…a Leap of Faith…a Brave New World. To never press it means Stagnation…Never advancing…Never reaching for the stars…Never exploring the Unknown.

TQQdles™

3 Likes

Now, wouldn’t this be the mostly likely way of actual rigging up a red button scenario like this.

Philosophical, yes. Scientific, no.
There is nothing really scientific about pushing a button that possibly kills someone.

3 Likes

It reminded me of Newcomb’s paradox (Wikipedia), although not quite the same, there are two choices and no ‘predictor’ mentioned.