Desolation Update

HG just fixed ship customization in 3xperimental. The colors are now true.

10 Likes

Ah, you were talking about the price of the one the scrap dealer sells. Yes, that one should reset daily.

6 Likes

I just spoke to Helios & an extra bit of dialogue ā€œask about derelict freightersā€ was there & yielded the Emergency Broadcast Reciever.

6 Likes

Just had time to try the update, the atmosphere on the derelicts is well done!
I casually vacuumed up all the living slime with the mining beam, and decompressed all the glass bottles with creatures, oops ā€” But no bio horror nests on that freighter.
I saw four neutral jellyfish, one of which bumped into me and disappeared. Also some guard bots that were no match for a scatter blaster. Some turrets that were easy to avoid and did hardly any damage.
Do we walk more slowly when cold and faster when near heatersā€¦? Thatā€™s a mechanic I didnā€™t fully figure out.
The teleporters are a nice QoL touch to find our way out again.

8 Likes

If I ever open an insurance company in the NMS universe, my first policy for any freighter insurance shall be that any insurance claim is null and void if the vessel picks up random bacteria samples from passing asteroids or comets. Seriously!

Nah you just donā€™t freeze near heaters. I agree on the difficulty level. The atmosphere is nice, but thereā€™s no real threat (pretty common for NMS by nowā€¦).

7 Likes

On the PC, the left shift key will let you walk a bit faster.

3 Likes

Got these as freighter salvage but havenā€™t figured out how to put them in the freighterā€™s technical area.

5 Likes

I think that has been fixed with the current 3xperimental update:

• Fixed an issue that prevented freighter technology from being placed in the technology inventory.
6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Noted an interesting feature (exploit?) regarding the Cargo Bulkhead, (Size Expander), tech you can get from the engineering terminal at the end of freighter explorations.

When you boost your freighter storage, it doesnā€™t consume the item. I was able to use mine twice, effectively boosting my (Legacy era), S freighter into a massive 48 slotter with 3 rows of tech slots.
Not sure if thatā€™s supposed to happen but it was a welcome occurance.

In my other game it simply upped my C freighter a certain amount & I hit my limit.

5 Likes

Wonā€™t be for much longer when 3xperimental goes live to all:

• Fixed an issue that allowed multiple uses of the Cargo Bulkhead upgrade module.
5 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if its meant to give you several slots before its used up or just one slot at a timeā€¦?

In my case, I clicked it several times before it stopped & then it immediately did the same thing again when I went to expand it further.

It wasnā€™t until a bit later that I realized that it was probably not meant to work like that. I usually avoid exploits but in this case I stumbled over it myself so I let myself keep it.

*My Legacy Save freighter has a couple of odd things going on: Bridge has remained built out with all sorts of decorations, which newer saves donā€™t allow.
Sections blocking new rooms because old decorations never deleted, effectively blocking new construction.
It changes colours all the time to match the local system.
Bit glitchyā€¦ :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Sure sounds glitchy alright, so I gues it deserves to be treated with some :wink:

I can still place some deco on the bridge though, just not quite everywhere. The colour changing was fixed, but only with newer freighters or through a Save Editor to give it a ā€˜homeā€™ seed.

6 Likes

My FAV info from the update Notes:
ā€œWe have several more significant releases planned for the yearā€

Ohhhh, Yeah!
Bring 'em on!

9 Likes

Can these be used on your Frigates during an expedition?

2 Likes

I think you install them on your freighter & they boost the performance of your frigates or your freighter.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing any derelict freighters. I have installed the emergency signal detector (which I bought from the scrap dealer). It tells me to use my pulse drive to ā€œtuneā€ it, and I do. I travel far across the system, and burn through tank after tank of tritium. The detector runs through frequency after frequency after frequency, and findsā€¦ nothing.

Iā€™ve been trying this for around five hours now, and Iā€™ve used up something like 40,000 tritium. Iā€™ve been to five different systems, and Iā€™ve found zilch. Nada.

4 Likes

@DevilinPixy pointed out (#48 above) that a change in the Steam 3xperimental is suppose to fix it so that new tech modules can be added to the freighter.

5 Likes

My problem with missing freighter derelicts seems to be solved. I had tried restarting the game a couple of times, which didnā€™t improve things. Then I tried rebooting the computer, and now itā€™s working properly.

I suspect something in todayā€™s patch couldnā€™t integrate properly until the computer was restarted. Anyway, it all seems to be behaving itself now.

Itā€™s all very Nostromoā€¦

6 Likes

I somehow bumbled my way into having three of those Nests release their inhabitants at once, and for a moment things actually got hectic. As with almost everything in NMS thereā€™s potential here for great moments and emergent gameplay, but HG mostly annihilate it by just keeping things too darn predictable. I donā€™t get how theyā€™re always getting the difficult stuff right, but fail at the simple thingsā€¦

Somebody should force the whole team to play a few rounds of D&D (or maybe more appropriately Traveller) just to show them what miraculous impact a bit of unpredictability can have on emergent narrative.

7 Likes