Building Tricks & Tips

Corridor Crops

Because Corridors float a bit above ground, it is easy to plant your ‘native’ crops in such a way, they end up completely inside your Corridor or halfway through if you wish. This is because crops do not care about collision as I have previously shown. All they require is surface soil to be aimed at to allow placement. Because of this, it is a whole lot easier to get them placed correctly from the outside, as you can place Corridors first, leaving you with less guessing of where they will end up. When planting ‘native’ crops on soil, they will always face you the same way and will show a full grown preview, which is very helpful.

Notes:

• In this example I am on an Icy planet, with ‘native’ Frost Crystal, allowing to grow Frostwort on soil at your base.
  • Crops do have collision, which can differ for each type of crop. In this example there is some collision inside, even when the Frostwort has not fully grown to be visible inside. Keep this in mind.
  • Somewhat works with Cuboid Rooms, as crops can be placed close enough to clip through the walls.
  • This will not work with Rooms, as they are placed right on top of the surface. Crops can (usually) not be placed close enough to end up inside once fully grown. This will require careful guesswork to get them in the desired location, placing the Room afterwards, as shown in my first ‘trick’ using the Bio-Dome.

How-to

Place your Corridors

Line yourself up with the Corridor while aiming at the ground. Move your crop in the desired place. Pay close attention to how your crop clips through with the preview shown. This will help you to align your crops.

Fully inside

Half-way through

Not grown yet

Half grown

Fully grown and harvestable from the inside as well as outside.

PS:
How does ‘No-clip Crops’ sound for using these crop tricks?

8 Likes