Base Building & Settlements in Frontiers

Uhhhh. Sir? May I speak to the manager!? One of your exchange students fell asleep on the desk!! And the interns are playing teleport tag, in the middle of the 756-hour day! Youth today, what are we paying them for!?! < searches for glasses >

7 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

Ps5 means I can finally put some interiors in bases that my ps4 was struggling to load :relieved:

7 Likes

Super nice @dersvr
I returned to my long journey to the end of the universe. It gets boring though so I stopped off in Olonerov #85 and built a little lake house with hydroponic garden.

8 Likes

Got round to finishing my space virus. Turned out quite tidy.

7 Likes

Thanks. That looks cool, how are those plants under water level yet not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. It is strange. I kept sinking them lower and lower. It is like there is an invisible wall around the planters holding the water back. I was disappointed. Was hoping to fill the planters with water but water is a strange thing in NMS. It is there but not there. Sometimes I swim in the air and sometimes I nearly drown on shore…

1 Like

I wouldn’t be disappointed that’s an interesting one. I’ll need to mess about with that next time I play.

1 Like

Yes. Could have some interesting uses. Look forward to your results.

1 Like

8 Likes

I did a little investigating and here are the results:
Should be in the water20211013083252_1
but are they?

looks to be in the water from one angle

but is empty from another

5 Likes

This happens a lot around the water. When we got the sails I tried adding a small boat to one of my bases.

But when viewed from a lower angle, which will be more common when viewed from the buildings, the boat sinks. The big boat sinks as well, just not as noticeably.

I’m going to have to make bigger little boats. Or maybe I can find a spot in the water that doesn’t sink the boat (inverse Bermuda Triangle). I suspect this is a sort order problem and just maybe, if I am right, … i’ll get lucky (I seldom get lucky, I’m either wrong or the ideal spot will be inside the big boat :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Add about 60 more of those freighters and place them off the coast of CA… :sweat_smile: (nice work!)

4 Likes

I think it’s a function of the rendering engine and the tight curvature of the small planets. Your boat isn’t actually “under water,” it’s just that the horizon is so close that the hull is beyond it.

2 Likes

The wild POV-based shifting in the apparent water level is caused by several issues in the water surface shader. First, the calculation that approximates the water depth is quite inaccurate. This depth is used in several other calculations, including a rather iffy one which figures the waterline cutoff. A separate calculation tries to compensate for discrepancies when the view is very near sea-level by raising & flattening things out. Even the current texture used to generate the waves exaggerates the issue (previous textures were better).

On PC I’ve addressed these in my water shader mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/2036). I used a more accurate calculation for the depth, simpler waterline cutoff, better near-sea-level handling, and a better designed texture. The water surface is rendered far more consistently at proper sea-level with these changes.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I am trying to figure out that top pic. What are they behind? So cool. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

It’s an upside down extruded alloy window under a small wall under a right way up extruded wall

Halloween update to my starship build. It’s all round the angled outer part of the circle.

I’ll post Co ords if you wanta look. Probably won’t be on the server till tomorrow though, base updates are slower these days.

3 Likes

Yes. I would like to visit @dersvr ! :grinning:

2 Likes