Base Building & Settlements in Frontiers

Free placement can help but not always. You can overlap some things by carefully resizing and then slipping one onto the other. Basically, it is where your centerpoint is on the item being slipped…once the dot from your cursor hits the surface of another item, the item will rotate. If you can slip your cursor point in between items, and there is not a lot of collision, you can slide one object onto several smaller objects. Hope that makes sense. It is a delicate procedure.
However, I am also sure some use blender. @DevilinPixy is a wizard. Must be some magic in there somewhere.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there are some strange things afoot. Firstly, this Knowledge Stone was on the right side of the cave when I first settled here.

Then, a couple of days later, these huge stones appeared.

There were not there when I adopted this settlement and they were not there when I was building my nearby base.
Here is my try at the refrigerated storage for treats to feed the little bouncy critter outside.

I also attempted the hanging snack bags but I have no idea how they were able to hang them straight.

The Multi-Tool vendor.

7 Likes

Most can actually be achieved by glitch building if you wish. The clock I made is just parts rotated around the middle. I still make sure to be able to glitch build myself, and try the new tricks I come across, merely to stay aware of what is possible. However, my actual builds are usually not made with glitch building, but as mentioned often created in Blender with some tools/plugins.

Glitch Building is cool and all, but I don’t like to take ages over something a tool can do in mere seconds. Not to mention the fact that tools can often do more than the game allows by default, an extension to my creative madness. I like to explore new avenues and trickery to keep interested. To me it is the end result that matters most.

5 Likes

So Blender can open NMS files and all the base parts and just lets you put them together and save them as a base?
(The putting-together and resizing models part in Blender I understand.)

Do you make a plain base in the game, convert it somehow, edit it in Blender (linking official models with official paths?), then you save that again, convert it, and replace the plain base, and reload, and the game just goes “whelp, guess we’ve always been doing it that way, I’ll just render it and it will be fine!”?

3 Likes

You basically open your save data in Raw JSON editing mode, copy the full base data part to clipboard, which can then be imported into Blender by the plugin. The plugin contains copied models (simplified with reduced meshes for performance) as objects and uses your base data to place them in Blender. You can add/remove/edit or whatever you like and once you are satisfied, the plugin can export this back to base data (JSON) to be used in the save again. You get a pretty decent view of what your base would look like.

Check out the Github for the plugin, it explains a lot better and even includes some video links: No Man's Sky Mods - #70 by DevilinPixy

2 Likes

One Upon A Time …

9 Likes

Very punny!

2 Likes

7 Likes

A video of a small airship. So nice!

3 Likes

So this is unwelcome. Never recall seeing it happen before. The crates were on the ground. I built over them, something I have done many times. When I left and then returned, the crates had moved to the surface.

5 Likes

Darn those repair drones!!! :wink:

3 Likes

Nice sticker for my telescope.

6 Likes

So this ‘tapestry’ has bugged me from the start. It does not hang properly on a wall as a tapestry. Especially the thick adobe like walls. But it does hang nicely in a window as a shade. You do have to watch the top section. Some windows hide it and others do not. This window does not so that forced the sizing of the tapestry in the window to be slightly smaller than I wanted but, it still looks nice.

6 Likes

Does anyone else keep getting this?

“The sentry: boop” ?

Uuh. I need to go back to my settlement and check. Are you sure it’s not a tame pet Sentry? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think she means that the building under construction seems to be at the towns square…

2 Likes

And it is asking to contribute to a scrap pile. My settlement reverts back to this after every citizen request/dispute. I seem to be getting no more building requests. Only this scrap pile request…

1 Like

Lighting up my new settlement.

UPDATE
This settlement has the feel I have been looking for. I was not satisfied with my previous builds. Buildings too far apart or not of the type I wanted. This one is cramped and crowded with people. Once I started lighting it up, it came to life.

Added a few extra buildings along the walls.

A small park that will expand once the settlement has finished expanding

Dark alley

that leads to a suspicious Gek

Cave Marrow give the outdoor lounge area a smoky feel

8 Likes

4 Likes

I can not believe it is almost sven months! Since I took these shots of @sheralmyst and me visiting her base.
I was the one falling through the floor lol. Not that the cause was sheralmyst could not nail a plank of wood together, it was more I couldn’t handle the data on my internet connection :slight_smile: The base actually downloads well.

Anyway, finally here are the shots from my visit at the time. So sorry I have not found them time to dig them out and upload them. It’s a really lovely base. I’ve included some of my loading pictures too which make for some beautiful abstract art.

I hope I ‘photographed’ the base to do all @sheralmyst artful work justice. Thanks for the drink! :smiley:

9 Likes

Exposed! Base builder caught using cheap glue to hold her “masterpiece” together. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes