Anyone else obsessed with cave building since next update

I have been building crazy underground bases sense next and it amazes me how big some of these caves are definitely like the caves better than the surface at the moment

5 Likes

Not yet but I probably will be when I get to itā€¦mainly still waiting for HG to fix stuffā€¦I didnā€™t even have access to the blueprint analyzer until a few days ago.

For now Iā€™m still reinforcing my frigate fleet and trying to patch up the remaining weaknesses.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not been building that much yet, but I am obsessed with the caves in general. Theyā€™re just so good now!

1 Like

Yea i just got the blue print analyzer too but itā€™s just crazy how much theyā€™ve reworked the caves I was on one planet and I think I walked through one cave system for like an hour and a half and finally just blasted my way out the roof

1 Like

The Caves are pretty awesome alright.

That said, I just donā€™t trust anything in the game right now, whether legacy save or not. I found one cave in a Creative mode save that I thought was perfect for building in, but couldnā€™t make myself do it. lol

Right now Iā€™m just poking about in two Creative mode saves I donā€™t really care about, doing some quests, ignoring my four broken frigates, and missing tech, etc.

My main big Normal mode save, still uninitialised, is safely tucked away on a separate drive. Along with doing daily backups just in case. My fresh start Normal save is on hold until Mal is available to play again in about a week.

I think it might be fun to build more, but I just donā€™t know anymore. Would be fun to see your pics of your cave bases over on the the bases thread.

2 Likes

I just canā€™t get into building anything until they fix all of the old ā€œlegacyā€ infrastructure parts.

1 Like

yeah they definitely need to work out some bugs with the Free Base building terrain coming back and stuff like that Iā€™ve only had it happened once or twice but itā€™s very annoying when it does thatā€™s why every time anything happens I just submit a bug report

1 Like

Even Sean Murray is surprised and amazed by the caves people are finding :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Love my cave base. Itā€™s like a dig site in a sci-fi movie. Small buildings scattered about, terminals out in the open, mine shafts, wooden walkways, storage crates here and there. Itā€™s a normal mode game so itā€™s slow going and a bit haphazard, but that lends to itā€™s charm. Itā€™s located on a barren, moon like, low atmosphere planet, but the cave environment is temperate and since itā€™s filled with base stuff, O2 isnā€™t an issue either. I keep expecting to return some day to disaster, but so far so good.

5 Likes

My new #2 base in my new NEXT save is a cave construction.
Located on a mountainous lush world with a lot of waterways, I found a cave system within 2 minutes of the portal. It has water pools in some places but is mostly dry. Has a discreet overhang entranceway leading into a complex tunnel network.
Iā€™ve bookmarked this thread and will share pics as I carefully build my 'home- base. Given its a new save it will take another week or so yet to complete my base network.
The new caves are amazingly real in their formations. Much improved.

1 Like

This cave makes me want to build a cave base.

5 Likes

Been working on a shared game with Mrs.MH and our ā€œhomeā€ is a cave base.
The entrance is a sinkhole with a low hidden ledge that leads into an open tunnel that stretches a long way.

Our planet has a high water table so sections of the cave system has pools which makes it very mystical and pleasant. Iā€™ve made a boardwalk across the first pool with a junction where one side leads to the main ā€˜houseā€™ and the other path leads to a "moon-poolā€™ where our teleporter floats in a steamy halo.
Itā€™s still under construction as we get components but youā€™ll get the idea.

9 Likes

I built one in a cave that looks similar to yours but I didnā€™t have water I like building secret rooms that go way back into the cave and then build a bunch of computers and stuff like itā€™s a secret hideout Iā€™ve even used the terrain manipulator to hide the entrance to my base

3 Likes

I like that idea! Now I just need to settle in one galaxy long enough to find the right spot to do something like this! You guys have given me some ideas :slight_smile: