Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

I’m rather fond of this tweet - and of course, our own sheral beat me to it. :sweat_smile:

And I’m hoping there are some actual frontiers to explore. There are quite a few ways that could go, including the involvement of those space station terminals…

5 Likes
6 Likes

Reminds me of the old Star Trek joke about Captain Kirk having three ears.

He had a left ear, a right ear, and a final frontier…

10 Likes

Here I was thinking …

8 Likes

I may be in a minority that sees no “plus” to enhancing combat unless it’s optional.

Actually, I once submitted a suggestion to add threat appearance (some call this spawning) and threat level sliders so that those who want to could increase threats and combat difficulty.

I’d also like to see the ability of zenophographers in Creative Mode to see all hazards. Currently, a player in Creative Mode cannot see horrors on land or newer ones in ponds, lakes, and oceans. Nothing triggers them to appear.

Yet actions on land trigger fauna attacks and ocean horrors do attack. Threat appearance sliders that work even in Creative Mode would be a blessing.

4 Likes

SM is loving his own tweets

4 Likes

I love the many clever reply tweets.
(I do recall, though, Jay Leno asking if those who tweet are “twits!” :smile: )

And I have to think that the special lettering of the R, O, and R letters in the Frontiers logo in the video are cryptic clues.

• “or” – an alternative [universe | dimension | ___?] ?
  • 3D?
  • Shadows?
  • Selected entry holes to ___?
  • Depth or The Depths?
  • Something partially obscured?
  • Some significance to “R O R”?
  • ________?

I mean, you know Sean, right?
While the update name lettering has not had much meaning before, his pre-release teaser emojis have.

• A punny orange for Origins
  • An allusive skull for Desolation
  • An item of related equipment (scuba mask) for The Abyss
  • A representative ball of yarn (a pet cat’s toy) for Companions
  • Etc.

The eye balls emoji just is a way to be “looking at/forward” to more info coming, A curiosity thing. Curiosity killed the cat, allegedly.

3 Likes

“…it’s a missing piece of the sci-fi fantasy that we’ve always wanted to add, and very fitting for our fifth anniversary.”
Why fitting for the 5th ann in particular?
For wedding anniversaries, wood items are a traditional gift for 5th ann
But the shadows could be both a planet and 2 moons.
Waning gibbeous

3 Likes

So perhaps the R O R letters are raised up resulting from carved wood and the “normal outline” letters are wood-burned into the wood? Wood’nt you know he’d get a bit more bizarre for this big 5th?

Oooo. 5th. Liquor-ishly dark Void? LOL. We can really have fun with this!

3 Likes

Well, if the leak has any merit, the Void could be involved.

1 Like

“IRON IE” =
Iron for the Intrepid Explorer
Fe
Fie
Foe
Fun!

3 Likes

They also look like the eyes on the Desolation creatures
deadly-infestations-2-432w

4 Likes

I was thinking a world and two moons also. But then I happened to think of… this.

Three planets? One with one moon, one with two? This scene has been bugging me since I first encountered it. And who knows? It might finally have something to do with our quests. It might even have a small appearance in my fic. Who’s to say? :grin:

4 Likes

I’m more curious to know why they chose to use an old format, even the song, to tease the upcoming anniversary update instead of a whole new format. Is it a hint that its similar to Beyond? Are we supposed to spot the differences? Did they just think it was cool? Maybe they were trying to tease us with the same format to signify its going to be a bit longer just as Beyond took a while?

5 Likes

I’d take Mac For A Day’s advice, and sit patient for the release. He pointed out the similarities with Beyond’s release which took… ahem, months from its tease. Hopefully this “soon” will be soon. But if this update is as ambitious as I hope, and for the five year anniversary, it might require a bit more time to polish such a jewel.

5 Likes

Wait and see is a good idea. Though I don’t think it will be months. They will let the hype build a bit, but I’d be shocked if it wasn’t this month.

4 Likes

I’m just going to run with all the fun everyone is having. :smile:

*firm

5 Likes
5 Likes

8 Likes

Its interesting to note…it is not Frontier…Its plural, Frontiers. Could this be more of an alliance system…god this waiting on patch notes is gonna be hard lol. People are gonna go hype crazy with speculation lol

5 Likes