Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

Awesome, long term is still ok. That short term though…few minutes to a few hours, that is the most obvious.

2 Likes

Heridium - Ah, I miss heridium.

16 Likes

Been thinking about that missing SciFi aspect that SM talked about. We are travelers/anomalies, right? We never seen what we look like without our helmets… maybe we’ll be able to see what we really look like behind the helmet? Mandalorian style. Lol.

6 Likes

This is not the way!

6 Likes

I’m afraid we would find out we are all clones. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Back in the day, @Sir_oops was doing this stuff. Prophetic, or what?

Image1

13 Likes

The spoken part at 28 seconds, was it there before, or was it added specifically here?

I think it’s saying: the negative energy is making us stronger, this band will not retreat.

Edit: before anyone tries to look too much into this (like me) it’s apparently part of a 65daysofstatic song [url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat!_Retreat![/url]

2 Likes

I don’t mean to brag or anything, but I did in fact inspire this update, (polishing nails on uniform). :sweat_smile: yup, all me (rocks back and forth on heals, looks around to see if anyone is buying it.)

But seriously, as far prophecies/speculations goes, I have no idea. I would think that frontiers would mean more to explore. Maybe, the diversity that every other gamer goes on about.

I miss something about version 1. Maybe, I just need fresh eyes. :eyes:

Updated: whining was spelled wrong and sounded to harsh.

10 Likes

Hey, you got the name of the update right. Which is more than can be said for those “informed” cranks on 4chan people have been quoting.

8 Likes

“This negative energy is only making us stronger! We will not retreat! This band is unstoppable!”

Yes, it’s part of the original 65DOS song, and quite a bit older than NMS. I don’t think it means anything for the future, but given the context, it was certainly not chosen by accident for this video! :laughing:

7 Likes

5th anniversary - 5th race ?

3 Likes

Without making the connection between the 5th anniversary and a fifth race, some of my main speculations for a main enemy in NMS involve the introduction of a new (or resurrected) race. Here are a few thoughts I had on what that new villain race could be:

• Gek First Spawn (They already have the different looking battle helms in game.)
  • Rouge/ Corrupted Sentinels
  • Aquatic Abyss Race (I’m picturing Cthulhu-like designs for this race and their tech)
  • Corruption Masters (Perhaps an evil race behind the growing corruption)
  • Humans… (the anomalies unmasked?)
5 Likes

I’m SO hoping that Team Mercury does something with the Ancients like I’m doing in my fic. A mysterious race, the First Race, with clues so scant, they’re hard to find. And a Fifth Race would be cool too. Not necessarily someone to fight, unless there was a way to make peace with them. A diplomatic adventure.

I would like a threat. Monsters. Abominations. I’ve encountered weird structures in space which hint at something serious. They will appear in my fic at some point. My story is more focused, but even with a universe as wide open and ambiguous as this one, there is plenty of options to include a master race of Ancients, as well as threats as Lord Markov listed.

I’m hoping for that pizzasagna, with even more goodies like it to come over the next few years.

Well, I have a painting to paint, and real life crud to deal with. Crud… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Speaking as the cleaning lady for CSD Games, I have found that underneath the crud is sometimes something good that someone forgot about. When you find it, stick it in your pocket 'cause it is yours now. :wink:
As for the update, didn’t SM state that there is more danger coming? I hope so. I can lob plasma grenades at sentinels like ducks in a shooting gallery. A real threat would be nice.

6 Likes

Hello Games may be expanding on the original info about a malevolent force in the universe.

I’d also like to see more about, “Sentinels . … also known as The Aerons, and have existed longer than most of the entities.”

And those Boundary Failures…

3 Likes

I had the same thought when they said that they had “always wanted to add it”, but it’s not a very strong indication. There’s all kinds of malevolent forces in the game that those early cryptic comments might have refered to. The first spawn, the Sentinels, even the Atlas itself.
And yet, the Abyss has been seriously foreshadowed since Atlas Rising, so, who knows…

3 Likes

I am not alone in feeling that those are eyes in the frontiers logo. And SM has been using eye emojis lately.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Well, if the eyeballs really relate to the update vs. “Look … something’s coming…” then The Void being home for “horrors” (giant eyeball type) might apply. A new future emoji might indicate the former, though. Time will tell.

A new universe/dimension related to “old planets” might contain the old monuments with decipherable lettering … maybe hints of lore, …

Monument-letters

It’s a fun time anticipating what new goodies Hello Games will feed us.

6 Likes

re: CTRL-ALT-DEL comic

If this became widely known, it would Antifa the intranets. Because of course, the intranets CAN NEVAR BE RONG!@!$

I keep wishing this universe had a bit more guts. I know some insist that the kinds of guts I’d like to see just won’t fit in this kind of world, but I insist that this kind of world is crying out for more substance. More life. More… common sense. As I wrote in my fic, the Three Races are spending an awful lot of energy to do almost nothing. I know the Sentinels are the Gestapo of this universe. I know Resets keep thwarting consistent progress, because so many things are all different and whatever. I know I’m an American and we’re all about doing big stuff. When someone says we can’t, we do whatever it takes to show we can. That’s just how we are.

Conflict, the right kind of conflict, can add something to this thing. If it’s conflict with a race, that race can surely be reasoned with. There can be combat, and there can be diplomacy. The team knows how to write from a living organic perspective. If there is a Void with some threat, either a Fifth Race or some creeping Doom, it can be a factor in bringing the Three Races and the Travelers together to deal with it and find a solution that works.

All these clues we come across: crashed Freighters, downed pilots, information strewn like messages in digital bottles, bits of lore, the stories told us when we visit Plaques and Monoliths, the bizarre finds we make scattered thinly among the stars… all of that came from cultures that were doing things, up to something. Cultures have agendas, they deal with other cultures by talking or fighting. The past has an effect on the present. This universe has a LOT of past.

My hope is that Team Mercury has the knack for taking this weird and wonderful creation seriously, as if they were there living in it as Nijol and I do. Nigel is going to learn everything there is to learn about this universe, its people, and ATLAS, or die trying. I think the team is fully capable of seeing the kinds of things that can add more life to this virtual Life.

Hey, I’m also a dreamer and an optimist. :grin:

4 Likes