Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

If this is genuine, and not just the internet doing its thing, then that is totally not what I expected. Lol. If this is real, then the image is old and likely a placeholder.

3 Likes

The above is fan made. Nothing official but the Desolation rumor is making the rounds.
Some even fear it is the end of NMS but, I would not go that far.

4 Likes

NMS Version 2.60 just Downloaded for PS4

5 Likes

Nothing official about the release yet, but for some reason already available on console? On Steam it is still on the internal branch only. Makes me wonder if this was meant to be, or just a big mistake somewhere along the line.

5 Likes

Steam update is now live, 5.9GB.

PS4 update is about 11GB.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Alright. Speculation rant:

So after going through the full patch notes, this is a pretty cool update! Much needed tweaks and improvements! And the derelict freighters is exciting and is foreshadowing ALOT of the the future. However, this is not yet the anniversary update. This is one of the nice smaller ones that have been coming every two months.

So a few things:

My theory of the anniversary update coming in september seems more likely now. considering that there is enough weekend missions to last till september.

This update dropped in the middle of the new weekend mission lore. Not sure what to think of that. But the weekend missions have been all the same(Nexus-portal-planet-fetch quest-nexus)besides the text. I wonder if they are going to shake them up a little by going to new places? SM did say “an eventful summer”. So perhaps this is what he meant? Now im interested in doing weekend missions again. Too bad I wont be able to for another week(in the middle of moving)

The 4chan leaker guessed a combat update right too now. So the rest of his leak is starting to seem more believable. Still, take the leakers info with some skepticism as things can still change.

I cant remember where I heard this but these small updates are actually pieces of the larger update. The leaker also mentioned the same thing too regarding exomech. I have yet to see the inside of the derelict freighters but if the procedural generation of the interiors is as good as it sounds, then this mechanic and generation ability can easily be used and abused again for space stations, ground buildings, dungeons, cities, ect. And it may possibly be that this is just a taste of it. That is exciting to think about.

AutoTurrets are now introduced and the turret’s mechanics can be expanded upon too… just speculation. But there was big turrets in the games files from way back, they could finally be ready to release?

Man, I want to dive into the Desolation update badly right now.

8 Likes

A spoiler item was accidentally found in this update and spilled into the update by what seems to be an accident. Spoiler video below of it.

Summary

NO LONGER THERE The Flamethrower Multitool Weapon No Man's Sky Desolation Update | EPILEPSY WARNING! - YouTube

3 Likes

This may answer @MacForADay 's question about whether this is a bug or not. Apparently it is an accident.

4 Likes

Definitely something Hello Games ‘forgot’ about! In the modding community I had already shown it before they found out you could find it in-game as well. Nothing goes unnoticed! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Rampant Speculation Detected :grin:

Perhaps the long-awaited freighter overhaul will come this anniversary including the new derelict freighter interiors made available for us to play with?
(I’m still finding the clipping when entering/exiting the hanger with a large-winged starship irritating).

I’m hoping that the external appearance of the interactable derelict freighters will get some more variety…perhaps using the other ‘mystery find’ freighter wrecks as bases for this variety.

The new procedurally generated interiors have me wondering if similar finds on planets (like wrecks, ruins or maybe large alien bases), might be possible.
Hello Games seems to often get an idea & run with it so taking this concept of PG interiors further seems likely to me.

Maybe something that combines this creepy organic direction; (living ships & infestations etc.) Like;
Organic (living) PG freighters maybe.
Or
In-space-nasties; that chase you and attack (like pirates but creatures of some sort).
Or
Some sort of new parasitic attack on our bases or freighters that we need to combat.

I’ve noticed that sometimes if I park my freighter/Capital Ship in an asteroid field & one intrudes in the hanger space, that although invisible, I can walk up on it.
Maybe asteroid harvesting using a new short-range space exocraft will be introduced.

I’m going to take a leap into wild speculation here & suggest that the anniversary update will feature a:
new insidious parasitic nasty, picked up while harvesting asteroids that will sometimes invade our freighters or frigates & that this will need to be eradicated (using a new in-space exocraft) & the newly discovered flame thrower weaponry, already leaked.

7 Likes

There is currently a bug with abandoned space stations so that you can’t land on them (they are fixing it) which makes me wonder if they might make them into procedural dungeons as well.

7 Likes

I was thinking this as well. Perhaps they are secretly working on “something” in there and messed up the landing on accident before launching Desolation. It does seem likely that there will be more procedural interiors coming in the future. Whether or not its in this year’s summer update, we’ll see. Its worth noting that living ship and exomech, on their own, aren’t much. But when you consider that now we have derelict freighters, procedural interiors with new aliens and egg sacs, new flame throwers and an updated combat feel… and bundle those together(plus considering that these are small pieces of a larger update)… you can understandably imagine that there will be more hostile aliens coming, more weapons coming, more procedural interiors, something to use the exomech on, and something with turrets… but this is HG and predicting what they will do next is hard.

6 Likes

With new procedural dungeons with derelict freighters, I can see this expanded to ancient ruins, crashed freighters and abandoned space stations (perhaps the current bug is a hint that this is in the works.)

Not that I think we will get it, but procedural dungeons with ruined cities would be great. (I am having a lot of fun with the new update :slight_smile: )

I would also like to see our frigates have rescue missions (or need to be rescued) that have gameplay along these lines.

8 Likes

Yes. It would be great to add to space battles by fighting the pirate ships that are attacking a freighter, but some of them docked and are looting from the inside so you need to land and stop them on foot.

6 Likes

Portable portals…looks like the prototype is already in development…

6 Likes

I may be in the minority, but words like “dungeon” and even “spawn” make me cringe more than a little a bit.

dungeon [ˈdənjən] NOUN. – 1. a strong underground prison cell, especially in a castle.

• No Man’s Sky is a science fiction game, not a medieval castle dungeons & dragons game.

• Very few science fiction novels even use dungeons. I don’t recall any lore references to “dungeons.”

• No freighter in No Man’s Sky has a dungeon. Freighter corridors and levels may mimic a labyrinth, but they are not a collection of prison cells. And this is not a medieval era game.

Labyrinths are a possibility. They don’t always relate to medieval times. Plus, some recent characters in weekend missions have (in our world) a relation to labyrinths. And to water (Abyss).

Spawn” is a real turn off for me in that it degrades immersion in the game’s “world” experience. Although it’s a term that aptly applies to many other games, it’s not so apt with No Man’s Sky (First Spawn excepted :slight_smile: ).

• Computer code processes do “spawn” (start from nothing) but why apply a computing term to the “world” of a game like No Man’s Sky?

• Some players refer to ships as “spawning” when they call them. But the more apt reference, which doesn’t degrade game immersion, is that they “arrive” after “called.”

• The ProcGen and computer graphics capability means that you occasionally see fauna “pop” into view. I think of that as “appearing in view.”

• My mindset is related to the game’s world, not to computer code or to how other games “work.”

[Thanks for listening. The same as when reading a SciFi book, I get the most enjoyment by immersing myself in that world. Phrases and terms that seem jarring in No Man’s Sky distract from the total game immersion. ]

My personal focus in No Man’s Sky is exploration and xenophotography, so combat-related aspects are not on my personal wish list. High on my list:

• Photo Mode enhancements: Torch levels of illumination, addition of composition overlay lines (a display of lines toggle to help better compose photos), much better synch of Photo Mode colors with colors as seen in the HUD view, etc.

• Added structure discovery aspects. Larger ruins or abandoned buildings that have corridors, rooms, and levels to explore, with added discoverable lore and special items. (These would not be dungeons or labyrinths).

• Underground labyrinths. Yep – true labyrinths (mazes), with related lore. Maybe with discoverable labyrinth map parts to aid exploring.

• More new things to discover. The new Space Encounters were a nice touch for explorers like me. Adding more abilities to interact in some way with new items would be a plus too.

• Adjustable threat appearance levels, at least in Creative Mode. I use Creative Mode for xenophotography, but some hostiles never appear when in Creative Mode (Walkers and all Horrors except the older underwater Horrors). That means you can’t get any photos of them. Ever. An option in Creative Mode to choose what level (a hostiles slider) of those types of hostiles appear would be outstanding. The slider would control the number and aggressiveness of those hostiles. Even though Creative Mode results in no damage from hostiles including predator fauna), I’d like to be able to get photos of all available ones.

5 Likes

Yes. Sounds just like what I am hoping for. :+1:

I agree. Medivel themes in NMS is very out of place. But I think many who use the word aren’t actually using it correctly. Some people in the gaming world associate the word “dungeon” with “a game that features rooms and hallways to explore/loot/discover/adventure into and random enemies/NPCs to discover and/or fight, similar to dungeons in other games”. But using the word as such can confuse others. “Procedural interiors”, or something similar, is more accurate.

I like your list but I do want a bit of danger. It doesn’t have to be in the form of making the game become another shooter game. It would be great if the E3 rhino came back(or snake, or anything large and scary) and absolutely terrifies you by chasing you with a speed faster than the current fauna and you can’t outrun it, and having a thick skin that makes it nearly impossible to shoot and kill. Perhaps if you got to your ship and didn’t take off on time, it would hit it and flip it over and damage components so it wont take off. Perhaps have a special bait to distract it too.

Or have NPCs walk around some planets and if you turn your back on them, they go to your ship and start pulling parts off it and looting your ship and run. Then you gotta find them to get them back if you can.

3 Likes

I would like to see a lazer tag/paintball type of non lethal combat arena/sub-game/mission area combo of NPC or getting multiplayer 2v2/4v4 modes

Would suit the more chilled nature of NMS but add more combat options. Its my one take on the derelict freighter missions, to create subgames in NMS.

Would work for space battles/dogfighting. And planet side, Minotaur, on foot , many possibilities,…

4 Likes