A Comet "ATLAS" Five Times Greater than Jupiter is Approaching the Earth

It is weird that it called Atlas. It is taken name from observatory. But still.

Did He come to reset us?

7 Likes

In another timeline, this would be the biggest thing in the news (besides the US Presidential election). I remember when everyone was making a big deal about the solar eclipse, seems so trivial now.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the video, but “a comet 5 times greater than jupiter” is obviously complete rubbish. We’d be observing orbital perturbations all over the solar system if that was the case.
I looked it up, and there doesn’t even seem to be a mass estimate available, so I can only speculate about what ass that video pulled its clickbait title out of. I can’t be bothered to waste the time to watch it to try to find out, either…

9 Likes

All I can do is. LOL at this reply. It’s an agreement, not ridicule😎

6 Likes

“The atmosphere of Atlas is 5 times the physical size of Jupiter and half the size of the sun”. It’s refering to volume, not mass.

8 Likes

What is approaching the sun now," Bortle told Space.com, “is a modest-size piece of cometary ice and dust with a large freshly exposed portion of surface; one that’s never seen the sun, such that it reacts to sunlight similar in the manner of an Oort Cloud comet like Comet Kohoutek did back in '73. Intrinsically it is probably several magnitudes fainter than we currently assume it to be and may, or may not, be large enough to survive perihelion passage.”

In other words, there’s a chance that Comet ATLAS might completely disintegrate when it arrives at the sun’s vicinity at the end of May.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/bright-comet-atlas-visibility-april-2020.html

We have not used it in a while but we do have a thread for space stuff, @Grohmanon. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

If I am not mistaken, I believe they are a group that claims to look for Bible prophecy being fulfilled in a literal way, ‘sign in the sun and moon’ kind of thing. To each his own…

4 Likes

They wrote about it in many places.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=atlas+comet+approaching&fbclid=IwAR0aA3Qo6PmJ7upOphdsGoq_U-42PcFACgniYfzU36B9AT5SeZXCv0o4LWU
Even NASA mentioned it. Maybe in very laconic way… but still.

4 Likes

What, the corona? That’s just a bit of trace gases around the thing with a high reflectivity. I think it’s not that uncommon for comets to have such large coronas, that’s why we see them so well. The more interesting thing about this one seems to be that it has broken apart. Not in a dangerous way, but it’ll still be interesting to see whether it actually splits or remerges.

Oh dear… The Theologian in me died a thousand deaths already talking with such people. Never again! :rofl:

7 Likes

Well guys this is more weird than i thought. Read tweets.

Draw your own conclusions.

4 Likes

We have a few groups in my country claiming the “end times” some are wanting a self fullfilling prophecy and in one city have setup a PA system blasting trumpet sounds…cause apparently “when the trumpet sounds…”

in all this based on my knowledge of things biblical, it points to Mr Trump being the anti-christ… :crazy_face: to each their own…if you believe in a 2000yr old best selling novel…

2 Likes

My conclusion is that Elon Musk made a joke about idolising the economy, most likely related to the ongoing pandemic. I can’t see any relation to the comet, since the comet is no threat to earth in any hypothetical scenario.

2 Likes

Funny. Because over here, the evangelicals believe he has been chosen by God because his son-in-law is a Jew and the 2 of them moved the US embassy to Jerusalem. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smile:

3 Likes

lol exactly …its all coming together… :comet: :biohazard: :crown:

"In Matthew (chapter 24) and Mark (chapter 13), … alerts his disciples not to be deceived by the false prophets, who will claim themselves…, performing “great signs and wonders”.[4] " [WikiPedia]

But yeah “civilisation” as we know it will be changed, other generations had great wars, great depression, and other events to deal with, this is it for us.
What I find interesting is the similarity in timing, after the turn of a century eg WWI /WW2 , and the timing now.

There is solice to be had in our different faiths, yet we should come together in our humanity because that will ultimately define that actions we need to take to move forward.

6 Likes

Like on the 4th of July, EVERYONE outside to celebrate the freedom we still want here in the the States. #GetUpStandUp.

1 Like

:rofl: - lol

1 Like

7:35 min

3 Likes

7:35 - all the right um…correct angles…

2 Likes

From Traveller Dream

3 Likes