Win10 Issues and News

Some good news
Forbes: Microsoft Confirms Takedown Of ‘Most Prolific’ Hacker Network: Millions Of Users Affected.

Somehow I have a feeling alot of apps will fail. :frowning:

1 Like

Wow. I congratulate Microsoft, they must have sunk quite a bit of resources into this. The problem is… Well, let’s be frank here, it’s not their job. This is police work. Granted, work for a kind of police force that doesn’t exist yet, but therein lies the problem. Why the hell doesn’t it exist yet? Not a single nation has yet even attempted to muster an effective cybercrime force. Leaving this job to companies ultimately means leaving a national interest as well as national security in private hands. I just don’t get how everybody’s still spending billions on conventional militaries but hardly a dime on effective cyber security and response…

Native win10 aps will likely be fine… It’s the legacy stuff I’m a bit worried about.

2 Likes

Maybe this explains why there are so many issues with Win10. Their focus has been elsewhere? :smile:
I agree, we should have a cyber crime force of some sort. The amount of things that come across my cell phone, the junk in my e-mails, the phishing, the scams, …this stuff has gone on for way too long.

2 Likes

For any cybercrime force to be effective, it would have to be fully international. If even one country doesn’t fully co-operate, the whole thing falls down. It would require a central authority that could overrule any national government. And that central authority would require total control over what you and I are allowed to send each other, look at, or even talk about.

Be careful what you wish for.

2 Likes

…and also why it will never happen…world wide cooperation…

2 Likes

And the fact that most modern governments commit cybercrimes themselves…

3 Likes

Not fully. I think Microsoft just proved that. It also wouldn’t need to be centrally regulated. Loose cooperation as is already common among law enforcement departments would already help a lot.

Yeah, that might be more to the point, I’m afraid…

1 Like

Which is precisely why it would have to be fully international, and why it would need the power to overrule individual national governments.

Such a form of oversight can be achieved. The Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross / Red Crescent already perform a similar role in respect of war crimes. It’s not impossible - just very, very, unlikely.

3 Likes

Well I have a feeling Win10 did its sneaky updating last night. Today I can not get past the black boot screen. Win10 keeps overwriting my BIOS and blocking me from accessing my other drives.

Had two subsequent updates on wednesday and thursday, so I assume it went through. Didn’t detect any problems so far.

1 Like

I am likely missing those. I had to physically disconnect my Linux drive to make my Win10 drive load. Windows really, really hates sharing my PC witb anything else. It is frustrating.

If you can’t beat them…Linux wins

2 Likes

The assimilation has begun
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/microsoft-edge-dev-bin/

3 Likes

F**** FINALLY!
That’s not assimilation. That’s microsoft taking linux seriously as a development platform (which they have begun some time ago, but this… this is BIG!).

So what’s the deal with edge coming to linux? Who would ever actually use it?
The answer might surprise you… There is only one demographic that has been aching for edge on linux for ages. Web developers. and they need it for one reason only: To test their work on it without having to switch machines or running a VM with a windows system in it.

Microsoft pushing edge to linux means that they accept the reality that many, many developers are working on Linux, and that the difficulty to test their work on edge may at some point threaten the viability of edge as a consumer browser, because too many of us just got tired and are testing our edge compatibility by just deploying and then wait for the customers to complain. (to be fair, though, edge has a lot less compatibility issues than internet explorer did).

In short, it’s a good thing for everyone that microsoft is doing here.

2 Likes

And the fox said to the chickens “let my cubs live and grow amongst you, and then we will all learn to be friends…”

4 Likes

:rofl:
Except Linux stopped being a chicken long ago… In the server world, it’s facing windows as an equal by now, and it’s projected that it will ultimately win that field. This isn’t a ruse, this is the fox making peace with the chicken as long as it can in order to not be picked to death down the line

1 Like

Had been reading for a while now that they were migrating over/integrating Linux. I love chickens! :laughing:

I have quite a fondness for foxes (there’s one that occasionally visits my garden). But I wouldn’t let one anywhere near chickens. Foxes can’t stop themselves killing chickens. They don’t do it for food, they do it because they’re foxes. It’s their nature to kill chickens.

2 Likes

GeekWire: Microsoft unleashes ‘Death Star’ on SolarWinds hackers in extraordinary response to breach.

3 Likes