Win10 Issues and News

There’s a handy little program, can’t remember it’s name but I believe it’s from the same people that make spybot, it removes all of those annoying, invasive and pointless apps and background processes Microsoft insists you have so they can gather better marketing and user data (yay?), and it automatically stops new updates from resetting these back to win10s defaults (seriously why have Ms not gotten sued over this crap yet? Or have they?).

Remember the “hey everyone gets win10 free if you update now” debacle?

I had a netbook that would have been crippled by win10 minimum requirements, and I kept saying no everytime I booted up. Then they changed the side that yes and no were on after people had gotten declining down to muscle memory, luckily I spotted this. I know of two friends parents who got caught out by this and it bricked their system. Microsofts helpline recommendations? Update your system spec or buy a new laptop.

Then they changed the choices to “yes” or “yes but schedule it for another day” with a tiny little hidden option down the bottom for “no”.

They even fired their entire windows team at one point during its development because they had ethical problems with what Ms wanted to do with their new OS’s and consoles (remember how awful XB1 was going to be?)

This was in the height of data gathering, before Snowden came out about NSAs backdoors and collusions with large tech company’s and while it was known to some before all this about browsers and websites gathering user data for third parties (which you had to go far out of your way to turn off) it was a long time before countries and governments brought in regulations to make companies be transparent on the data they’re gathering and who they are sharing it with.

That’s the unfortunate thing about regulations, shit has to really hit the fan before they’re brought in, and it’s a slow process. Take motor vehicles for example, it took many lives before regulations like seatbelts being required in all cars was a thing etc.

Sorry, feeling very anti corporation today XD some of my rambles are half remembered nonsense facts but you get what I mean.

6 Likes

YIKES,

Sorry ( I live in florida but I leave everything on UPS for extra regulation), and I don’t know what I would do with out the constant hum of them … :wink:

ADWCleaner by Malware bytes that’ my goto when a machine is slow and shouldn’t be.

XDragon

PS can’t rant about MS, I am Certified by them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe I should hire you then…you could probably make a good living just travelling around taking care of ppl’s win10 issues…and see the world while you’re at it. :smiley:

1 Like

So long as there is internet I can work :wink:

For the most part unless it’s an actual hardware issue most of the work I do is remote any more.

Don’t get me wrong travelling is a small part of what I do as well :slight_smile:

XDragon

1 Like

sorry to revive this thread…well, not really…I just have to relate my most recent win10 experience.
Because of the issue with NMS and the Community Event, I decided to give Win10 another fair shake. I fired up my laptop and hesitantly connected to the internet. It started its usual searching for updates thing and immediately locked up my laptop, forcing me to sit and wait…and wait…until I could no longer stand it and had to disconnect. In the meantime, it synced with my gmail (which I detest) (had to go digging through the settings to turn that off AGAIN) but the best part of the story…my wallpaper suddenly changed… to the very picture at the top of this thread…so ironically fitting…
The end result of my latest win10 fair shake…my apps are unusable…why…because the latest update corrupted the user profiles…so I have 2 options…wait for a future update or…RESET MY PC!!! That is like sticking in the Recovery Disc…it deletes EVERYTHING. That is the only way to create another user profile so that my apps will work…God help us all.

2 Likes

If you can still login, you can go to control panel, then administrative tools.

There is going to be a local users and groups, right click admin and enable, the right click and set password.

Then you can log off, REBOOT necessary step, this will clear the lock file on your ntuser.dat this is your profile registry.

After reboot, you can login as administrator, go to c:\users<yourusername> right click and rename it to <yoursername.old>.

Log off as administrator, then log back in as your username, this should generate a new default profile.

You can now move back all your documents download, favorites etc from username.old to c:\users\username.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
XDragon

PS sorry I didn’t reply sooner

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks! Every place I look it says reset PC…which I ain’t doin’ :grin:

1 Like

Always remember, when you

C:\windows\win.exe

You lose. :rofl:

3 Likes

I use Win10 and am fully aware that “Windows” is a licensed virus! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Why oh why oh why oh why does win 10 keep moving the order of my drives? It places the win 10 drive in first place and removes my manjaro drive from the list entirely.
This is beyond frustration and may force me to disconnect the win10 altogether. It has no business modifying the bios
Update
Fixed it. From now on all file moving will be done from the monjaro drive. Never will I let the win 10 communicate with my other drives. It capped my win7 drive at 100%…ughhhhh microsoft…you idiots

Edit: having to physically disconnect my win10 drive so I can access win7 and linux. Pain. I believe someone, way back when, chose to install my win7 in uefi mode? Mistake? Perhaps that is the issue and all of my os are installed with that method…if that is the issue then a complete ‘boot n nuke’ and reinstall to all 3 drives would be required… :sweat_smile: I think I will just unplug the drive as needed. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I was going to build a new computer, and make this current one into a Linux box. Some health concerns have delayed that plan for a while. Meanwhile, the demise of Windows 7 is looming large…

So I have just (today) bitten the bullet, and used the free upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

The upgrade went surprisingly smoothly. Everything seems to work as Microsoft intended, if not exactly as I would like.

Microsoft really don’t want me to use Firefox. They’ve actually blocked me from setting it as my default browser. Against that, however, I have all sorts of peculiar old legacy software I still use, and didn’t want to lose, and it all seems to work fine. 1998 Paint Shop Pro V.5 anyone?

I also worried that my lack of UEFI BIOS might cause problems (I disabled it with a jumper when I built the computer) - but Windows doesn’t seem to mind.

It seems to be working so far… (famous last words).

5 Likes

It will have to say that I have a lot of old programs from Vista which did not work in Win 7 but work well in Win 10.
So far, no major issues for me however, I do keep setting updates to delay. Let someone else get the headaches first. I will wait and update after the solution has been readied for delivery. :grin: Well, provided the solution doesn’t carry a new set of issues with it.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Had to share this. This is a good move.

We assume that customers like their laptop and handle it accordingly. So in the interest of giving a TUXEDO machine the longest lifetime possible, upgrading components like RAM, SSD etc. as well as cleaning the inside is totally fine and covered by our warranty conditions.

3 Likes

Latest update warning

4 Likes

They still manage to do that every once in a while, huh? Daaaaaaumn!

2 Likes

Is Win10 auto updating my graphics drivers? If so, how do I stop it? The control panel options are so very numerous and tedious to go through. It is too much! I have win10 updates paused for obvious reasons. Does that also pause any graphic driver updates? I do not want a driver update if my OS is not updating as well. I need control :unamused:

1 Like

In my experience, usually not. I remember it happening once during a pretty big update, but only that one time.
There might be driver utilities from your laptops manufacturer installed, though, I’d check for that first. My HP asks me like every month whether it should manage my drivers for me.

3 Likes

Bring on Win10X
WindowsLatest: Microsoft touts great performance for Windows 10 containers.

3 Likes

Wait, they’re moving everything to a container architecture with a normal update? Such drastic changes to the OS are supposed to be part of service packs… Let’s hope this goes over well. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes