Will GOG Users Be Credited For Community Missions

The GOG release was delayed until last and came with a note: “However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.” There were a few other statements duplicating this information including a line near that the end that Hello Games is “joining forces with GOG.com …”

“This will be free for all players, with no microtransactions. Take part in community missions and unlock new rewards and customisations.”

Not knowing what the “rewards and customizations” will be means that we cannot predict how much valuable technology, items, etc., GOG uses will not be allowed to earn if some provision is not made to accommodate those denied access to game features.

It is also noted that a firm commitment was not made and phrases “we expect” and “remains in the pipeline” are general intents and not firm commitment to return GOG users to the community. Obviously there is a lot of hate and discontent in the GOG forums over this and these are typically forums with few posts on a weekly basis. There is a statement near the end “Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform” which provides some encouragement but that is not a commitment that this will work or that GOG players would not be left behind when everyone else receives weekly “rewards and customizations.”

1 Like

Right now, probably not…but they are working with GOG to bring full MP to GOG Galaxy…so when that happens then it should be good.

This sucks as I am a GOG player. If multiplayer appears on Steam and is skipped on GOG, they’ll lose a current & future customer. I vote with my charge card…I also tell my friends of my experiences.

TQQdles™

Thanks for the replies.

Only GOG users such as Dolnor and myself will be familiar with patch delays (usually not available until sometime the next business day), exclusion from patch testing (implemented after a while but still seemed to less frequent than what was allowed for Steam), waiting for full implementation of the Atlas update, etc.

At the minimum, anyone that plays No Man’s Sky from GOG at any time during a week should receive all rewards, rewards, achievements, etc., that are given players that purchased from another authorized reseller until the conflict is resolved. After all, with full knowledge of their future plans, Hello Games made a decision to utilize and promote GOG distribution of their game.

Is it a coincidence that Steam took the extremely unusual step of placing the game on sale at the time of a major re-write or does this reflect advance knowledge of the adverse response of GOG users to again being left behind that might lead to increased sales?