Weapon/Ship Grade

Maybe this has always been around? I don’t remember but, my brother is in MP with a friend and a ship or weapons which is S class for his friend is A class for my brother. They are both standing there looking at it at the same time.

5 Likes

The very first time I visited the Nexus (multiplayer on) I was using an S class ship from an old save. The Nexus was very busy, but every other ship I looked at also scanned as S class. Some of these were obviously starter ships, and very low-grade shuttles.

I also note that when I start a Nexus mission, the class of my ship is mentioned - “Polyphemus (S) is starting a mission…”

I wonder if there’s some sort of temporary levelling thing going on, to compensate for some players being much more powerful than others?

2 Likes

Greetings Travellers!

When you scan ships in the anomaly they always show your ships grade.

Traveller101

5 Likes

Didn’t that bug used to occur when scanning your own ships? Funny how it’s reappeared with other players’ ships now.

3 Likes

KnightAlese and I have observed this phenomenon as well. We do not starship hunt in multiplayer because of this (and the frequency of the rare/ valuable ships seems to lessen at the space station and trade posts.)

5 Likes

Hello fellow Traveller!

Yes this is correct however, this bug has spread out and made Multiplayer Ship shopping almost impossible.
LordMarkov you can minimize the problems while joining a Multiplayer game and set all Multiplayer settings to Off besides the general connection option, or you will lose your session.

Traveller101

2 Likes

And it also applies to weapons as well. Very irritating when your friend picks up an S class weapon amd you get the same one and it is A class…

4 Likes

Mal and I don’t play multiplayer together anymore and this is one of the reasons (aside from other multiplayer bugs and glitches. It has been this way since Beyond began, perhaps even during Next.

I was pretty put off when I traveled across the galaxy while he was holding a S-class ship for me by chatting up the pilot, only to find when I arrived that for me it was bloody B-class! GRAH!

MP is just not well implemented. I can believe it must be difficult if “Everything is Procedural”.

4 Likes

The ship class variation in multiplayer has been around for a long time.
I can recall way back in the begining days of NEXT, where @toddumptious, @Sir_oops & myself where ship spotting at a trading post & sure enough the ships were scanning differently.

I’ve also found that multitool hunting via repeat visits to minor settlements (even in offline solo) will yield differences, even though it’s the same location.
Any return visit via a warpy/teleporty load screen will result in a change.
I guess in theory you could ‘S’ hunt a particular style multitool simply by repeatedly returning over & over until the maths played out in your favour. :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes. I did that in NEXT, when Mal got an S-class “Lipstick” multitool when we were together, and the weapon that showed for me was an ugly grey C-class weapon.We split up and I went back through the portal about three times and drove my rover for miles and miles three more times to the spot and finally got the S-class Lipstick for myself.

I’m noticing that with ship-spotting, the spawn rate of S-class is way too little and I just don’t have the patience to wait for one to spawn, so crashed ship fixemups for me from now on…

6 Likes