Understanding Reality

Funny enough, one of the best explanations I came across comes from a Belgium gamer/troll/philanthropist/thinker named Athene… This is what he came up in-between becoming “the Best Paladin in the World!” Such a brilliant troll…
Document.

unfortunately and very strangely, there is something within quantum physics that somehow makes people feel or think that they know it all and draw wild existential conclusions based on some semi-populistic book or article they once read… back in my hippie days, i always had to argue with neo-spiritual people that told me that every morning when they woke up, they had to “collapse their wave function” as a cleansing therapy… “It’s all energy maaaan”

1 Like

But it IS all vibration maaaan! There are some flourishes, but it’s not that kind of theory… I’ve not heard of any Nobel awarded to a youtuber, so maybe some of the stuff is pending review, though…

Adding to your point about the scientific view of consciousness and the creation of AI:

Many of us who are religious would say that creating true artificial intelligence is not possible, due to our belief in the “soul”. The soul being something that currently cannot be observed or measured but still gives us humans our unique personalities and complex emotions.

The idea of trying to create AI with an advanced neural network excites me because it could either prove or disprove the existence of souls. If we could create a computer with a hundred billion neurons (like the video above said) and the computer was still unable to show free will and strong emotion, we might finally have evidence that there is something we don’t know about that makes humans what we are.

Likewise, if such a computer could prove it has human-like consciousness, we would have the scary realization that we are simply machines made of biological matter, and possess no special thing that will go on existing when we die.

A little side note: this could have been the cause of the “Butlerian Jihad” from the Dune series in which all “thinking computers” were destroyed, possibly because they violated and disproved religious beliefs.

2 Likes

i think of AI as a potentially dangerous technology, i believe that they would have a consciousness, and that we should respect that possibility. But, i think that everything we can see or touch has a consciousness, either sleeping or awake.

But does an AI have the consciousness of an object, or the consciousness of the earth as a whole? Can we create consciousness just by creating a neural network? Could some lower consciousness use a neural network as a way to reach us? We might be doing the reverse of what nature does. i think of life spreading out from consciousness not the other way around. Either way the possibility of it rebelling against humanity is very real. We should always threat it both like a human and a dooms day weapon, either way, its a tough place to be and any consciousness god-like or not, would have trouble fitting in these shoes.

I like this kind of discussion, and i like how you guys are really into it. but im here just lurking this topic and chilling while I listen to human music.

The Butlerian Jihad is coming…
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind,

I think the problem was moral, and after two generations of bloodshed, they placed moral restrictions to supercomputing by setting the Mentat conditioning… But then comes the Bene Tleilax… And Shai Hulud knows what could be coming from the Scattering…

2 Likes

I love the discussion that’s brewing here. :thinking: Here is something to spark a few more thought ripples.

Discover Interview: Roger Penrose Says Physics Is Wrong, From String Theory to Quantum Mechanics

Aaand…

I have believed all of history to be a single object in space-time for many years. I was first introduced to the idea in the book Slaughterhouse Five which I read in high school. In it, a man keeps mentally jumping back and forth to past and future events in his life, even to times before and after he was born/dead which he only remembered afterwards as a sort of purple haze.

At one point of the story, he is abducted by aliens who view space-time in this way. To them, humans looked like long caterpillars stretching from the point of their birth to the end of their life.

I do believe in free will, meaning we do make decisions for ourselves. However, what we will choose already exists in the future. I also believe God is the one that can see all of space-time from beginning to end and is the only one able to influence it at any point of the timeline He chooses.

2 Likes

The thing is, I’m sure there is a definite Best Thing to do, and there might be alternatives. However, there may be only One Thing to do, provide a solution to a dilemma. Is this good or bad? Should we participate?

• We don’t know what the Atlas Foundation is all about, what they REALLY hope to achieve. We don’t know who the people are who make it up. Most likely it involves a bunch of ambitious, idealistic folk, but are the leadership hiding something as to its goals?
  • We don’t know who’s a part of it other than two people: CEO Elizabeth Leighton and Major Sophie Dubois. We know that at some point in their work, Elizabeth and some of her people suffer some sort of calamity which apparently involves the disruption of normal space-time. The “Elizabeth” who we see presently in videos seems unconcerned about all that for some reason. That in itself may be a clue.
  • What role does the government play in this? And since we know zilch about Major Dubois, other than she seems to have a great deal of authority, I’m left questioning whether or not she’s a legitimate actor in all this, since so much of it seems to have nefarious undercurrents. We do know that she has an unfavorable view of our involvement in the Project, and may consider us a potential threat.
  • What do the involvement of the aliens mean for us? What is their nature? Is their “Crusade” something that favors the human race and our world or not? What do they have to do with the Atlas Project?
  • We don’t even know whether to help the Project to succeed or undermine it. We have no idea what we’re doing, what effect it has, what role we play, what alternative options we might have, other than refusing to participate.

Right now, all we have are questions about practically everything. It’s much too complicated. Well, save that at some point people will need our help. I can’t say no to that no matter what. There’s no doubt that the fate of the universe itself looks to be at stake here. But, what to do, what to do…?

About the only thing I seem to be useful for is to hammer on notions and possibilities implied by the evidence, see if I inspire someone to have a bright idea.

1 Like

Looks interesting, but it would help if you could share more of your chat.

There is certain knowledge that can drive a man mad… I’m not anyone to dis-encourage people from choosing their own poison, but certain compartmentalization ability is to be desired for your sanity.

The antenna comes from stock, it has been used by both fictional corporations, the coincidence has been noted before.

1 Like

Well, considering you’ve set up a virtual machine with an unactivated copy of windows, only solved three glyphs at the time of that post, and seem to have forgotten that stock images are a thing, i’d say you’re just trolling at this point.

Dude, if a mod tells you “wrong subforum”, then take your message and post it in the forum where you’re being pointed instead of debating it in what is obviously not the correct topic for it.

Additionally, the photo is a stock image, that means it’s royalty free and available to everyone on the entire internet. Photos like that have been used all throughout this ARG (and all over the rest of the internet), they have no relation to anything whatsoever.

Finally, public arguments with a mod cannot be won and calling them a fool is indeed foolish itself.
@matt another page for you to read.

Edit: I’m not going to waste another post on this, but I’ll add another link to a reply made to one of the other 3 cross-posts: https://forums.etarc.org/t/unused-data/1252/22 (btw, cross-posting like that always gets your post removed on any forum).

Edit2: Crossposting - Wikipedia (since it appears the meaning of that has gotten lost as well…)

Well, he is pondering reality. But I don’t get the point, and I have to wonder if some substances weren’t involved in the past…

OP here.
Dude relax, nobody is trying to shut you up. And if you feel that you are not treated fairly, please consider writing a private message to the mods/leaders of the Etarc forums. I’d also abstain from ping-pong messages back and forth that slowly (or quickly) divert off-topic, as well as use of CAPS to highlight what you think is important (sorry, it just comes across as aggressive which I’m sure is not your intention). Bold and Italic formatting usually does a better job at that, but it’s just my opinion.

What did I mean with “understanding reality” ? My ideas are summed up in the OP and also here.

1 Like

Waking Titan is directly related to the game No Man’s Sky. It is not related to Sony or The Dark Tower.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

To expand on your bulleted list, isn’t it true though that we do know what Atlas is about?

It’s a privately owned network (a company made up of companies) with one and only one aim: To Understand Reality. Backers/funders uncertain, yes, but EL clearly stated what Atlas’ aims were. I sometimes seem to be in the minority for actually beleiving her.

This reminds of the Atlas interfaces within NMS, in which Atlas claims it needs us (Travellers) to help understand itself better. Note that we discussed a little how understanding Reality and understanding Onesself is in extension the very same undertaking or mission.

The only thing I want to add about the main protagonists (your second bullet point) is that Major Dubois is a … major - i.e. she is holding a military rank, which in the UK takes 8-10 years of dedicated service to attain. This suggests a link between Atlas and the military in some capacity, and the fact that the pdf’s are labelled TOP SECRET suggests further that there’s a great hush-hush regarding this link. Maybe this answers (partially) your bullet point no. 3?

As for Aliens… I’m somehow reluctant to accept an organic based alien race within Waking Titan… but maybe “aliens” can be a new AI? With time travel (into the future), and NMS being viewed as a simulation, maybe the introduction of “AI programs” within NMS be something?

To conclude, I feel you are completely correct in saying that we don’t know anything about our purpose, mission, about who the good/bad guys are at this stage. But there is a lot of evidence that our collective intuition right now is to help Atlas in its quest, so I suggest we just roll with it. Maybe signing up for the csd role is a kind of a “red pill/blue pill” moment, and if so, I think the vast majority of us took the same pill :smiley:

Edit: phrasing in second paragraph (added a sentence) + spelling

4 Likes