Tessellation

I love the effect except on planets like this one

Looks great in the distance but as tessellation kicks in on the ground closer to me, the effect is not so desirable.
At least I assume that is what is causing this.

8 Likes

Yup, seems like it’s the tessellation alright :slight_smile: it does make the hexagons very ugly. It’s been years since I watched a video on tessellation, actually it was probably the first nvidia tech talk where they introduced tessellation since I last learned about the technique but I remember it having something with taking traditional 2d bump maps and faking 3d geometry that was never physically modelled and its great for rendering detailed terrain in the distance.

Probably way wrong bout how it works, that’s probably a really misinformed explanation. But here’s a fun song about triangles, sorta.

I wonder if there’s any other weird artifacting from tessellation on other strange planets?

I believe xbonex and ps4pro support tessellation, I wonder how bad this looks on a console?

Hopefully this is something they’ve noticed and plan to fix once the big bugs are out of the way.

4 Likes

I really have no clue about the particular technology, but “tesselation” in 3-d editing used to refer to splitting up a triangle into smaller triangles. So possibly they take a normal-map, and instead of just using it as a shader input to fake a 3-dimensional appearance by making it cast a shadow, they actually use it to sub-divide the mesh…

4 Likes

So they fixed it with this

That may actually be more of a cover-up than a fix but, I can live with it.

4 Likes

Tesselation is now available on PC. Works with no issues on my laptop. Set it to Ultra and a very visible difference. FPS dropped only 5, 30 to 25. Got those 5 frames back setting to High. Sent a rare postive feedback on the zendesk.

3 Likes

Reviving this thread because…well there is still an issue.
Tess worked well for me on my entry level graphics card. Then they released it on console and suddenly it no longer worked on PC. I upgraded to a mid-level graphics card. No change. I know people running it just fine on Linux with the exact same specs as I have. This leaves me wondering if it is a Windows issue. Perhaps @toddumptious was correct when he worried that optimizing tess for console somehow derped it for PC.
How many are having issues with tess? For me, it causes giant holes in the ground to pop around. I really wish they would fix this because I miss having it enabled.
Here are my specs for reference.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4.2Ghz
RAM: 12GB DDR3
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Thermaltake 700w

2 Likes

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor 6GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5"
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (Steam programs)
PSU: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze

Tried tessellation when NMS first offered it and the game would just close sometimes, so I turned it off. Tried it again today with the same results. The added detail was nice when it worked.

3 Likes

Here I am, in Linux, with NMS… My tessellation has never been so beautiful, and non-glitchy before. Here be the specs of my computer:

CPU: AMD FX-8370
RAM: 12GB DDR3
GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 560 4GB GDDR5
HDD: Aged Samsung 1TB, a 1TB WD, a 1TB Hitachi, and a 256GB SSD.
OS: Binbows 7 & Ubuntu Studio 18.04.1 LTS, running 4.18.11 Low Latency Kernel.

Tessellation is glitchy as ever in Windows 7 no matter what I do, while in Ubuntu Studio, there’s no issues at all. None. Nada. It’s nice. (:

Edit: Thought I should mention, I’m using AMD’s Ubuntu drivers, version 18.50. I use Proton 3.7-8 (Steam Play, simply put.)

3 Likes

Sooooo, I updated my graphics card and now I have flickering terrain with giant oil slicks…:disappointed_relieved:
I am going to draw the same conclusion as others have. I have searched and questioned ppl and the only conclusion is that HG hates AMD. I find this rather ironic though since both PS4 and XBOX1 use AMD…at any rate, all of my other games run fine. It is only NMS that has this issue with AMD. I am burned out…bummed out and just flat tired of this.
Keep gaming everyone!

2 Likes

From what I read in a Mesa (Linux implementation of opengl and vulkan) they have a parsing issue in their shader config they can not fix due to Nvidia. But I might be remembering this wrongly.
Just switch to Linux :wink:

2 Likes

My son and several of his friends are all running NMS in Linux with no major issues. My son has a minor issue with the background in the menu. No biggie. I am looking for a second hard drive so I can dual-boot. Of course these means I have to re download NMS on paltry internet…:roll_eyes: Nothing is ever simple.

Can’t you just copy your steam library to the other disk?

1 Like

Can I? Enlighten me. I have never done this before.

You’ll need to install the ntfs libraries on your linux installation. With these you should be able to read the ntfs partition on your harddrive. I’m afraid you’ll need to google the exact procedure.

1 Like

Maybe this depends on the distribution, but Ubuntu at least reads NTFS by default. I have a dual-boot setup at work, and I can effortlessly access all volumes on the computer and their files (in Nautilus, look under “other locations”).

2 Likes

After I set it up in 2008, I haven’t touched much of the setup of that machine. I regularly updated the hardware, ghost the disk and continue. And keep the software up to date.

2 Likes