What I’ve found so far:
- Find a crashed ship on a planet. There aren’t as many as there used to be, but there’s still lots around.
Claim the crashed ship. DON’T swap for it - you’ll lose your original ship if you do.
- Repair the crashed ship enough to get it flying. You’ll need to fix the shields, the launch thrusters, and the pulse engine. You’ll also need to give it some launch fuel. Don’t bother fixing anything else.
Once you’ve fixed it and fuelled it, fly it to the space station. Leave your original ship on the planet.
- Park the crashed ship at the space station. Make your way to the scrapyard station (next to the appearence modifier).
- Following the instructions, scrap the ship. You should get:
- Odd bits of ship technology (you can’t use these - sell them).
- Upgrade modules - you can trade these for nanites, or use them yourself.
- At least one augment module. You can use this to add a new slot to your ship.
- When you scrapped the crashed ship, the ship you left on the planet will have magically transported itself to the space station.
You can now use the augment to add a new slot to your main ship (for free)
That’s it for now. Happy scrapping!