Sequence Retrieval in NMS

A (brand new) reddit user named /u/ReapMyster came across a new communication station from Instance16status. The planet was given the name “Radioactive Meltdown - i16 Comm Found”.
Entering the command from the comm station: “SEQUENCE 43B-2G2K-2T16” on the waking titan page resulted in the following message:

sequence 43B-2G2K-2T16
Warning: input out of sequence
waiting for next in sequence

A “status” check on waking titan then showed:

-// Subroutine Output Log //-
Traveller Proximity Detected.
Continue sequence retrieval.
Total units: 8

This lead to a collaborative investigation of the systems around the Galactic Hub, which revealed all 8 of the comm stations. Here is the list of stations discovered by their coordinates (with the sequence message) in the correct order for the console:

0469:0081:OD6D:00240 (Sequence 0H7-AA59-QK38)
0469:0081:OD6D:017E (Sequence MBW-5651-P23K)
0469:0081:0D6D:0045 (Sequence L22-QY7Y-6014)
0469:0081:0D6D:0146 (Sequence 43B-2G2K-2T16)
0469:0081:OD6D:004D (Sequence 1C1-80R1-JX3B)
0469:0081:OD6D:0165 (Sequence 5YY-W349-L200)
0469:0081:OD6D:017E (Sequence 99J-U844-131Z)
0469:0081:OD6D:019A (Sequence AA2-327b-QG24)

This is the story the commands revealed:

A Sentinel screams in the sand. It is still alive,
in spite of everything.

Artemis stares at it.

Glitches, Nada had called them. Aberrations,
increasing in frequency the closer one moved
toward the centre.

But Artemis had no wish to go there. They were
looking for something.

There was no story to be told in the silence
of this universe. No race but the great triad, the Gek,
the Vy’keen, the Korvax.

Whatever Artemis was, they were alone.

It started with a signal.

A voice cried out across the cosmos, and the
Traveller followed.

Artemis saw lights in the darkness, swarming about
them as they tried to rest. But Artemis knew that
the mind could deceive itself.

The next morning, they found the source of the signal.

They had found the path. They had found the answer,
a price paid with their lives, their deaths.

When they first reached out to the heavens, they had no idea
what to expect. The beauty. The mystery. The danger.

The Traveller stepped through the portal.

And somewhere, beyond all worlds, beyond all living things,
two digits screamed upon a terminal. 16, they said.

16, the universe trembled…

After a short while, the waking titan “status” command was updated with the following

status
-// Subroutine Output Log //-
Complete sequence retrieved
Benchmark matched

Massive props to @crushbrain for gathering the sequences. Check out this thread to see how the madness of discovery unfolded.

A reddit user by the name of “imfromthepast” illustrated the 8 messages retrieved, and it came out so great!

12 Likes

A google search for the first sequence code discovered “43B 2G2K 2T16” (no dashes!) yields some… interesting results. After the reddit posts that reference the sequence, you will find 3 files “V37002011RDR.QUB”, “V62156003RDR.QUB”, and “V28479008RDR.QUB”.

I was able to open these files in a simple text editor, where I found a bunch of calibration data for THEMIS- The Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS), an instrument on board the Mars Odyssey spacecraft. The file also included a ton of garbled text that looked like image data.

Without the ability to open a QUB file (or even knowing wtf a QUB file was), I did some more searching and found a public viewer for the data THEMIS collected on the dates and times indicated in the QUB files.
Here is the first image: http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/themis/V37002011
and the second: http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/themis/V62156003
and the third: http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/themis/V28479008

This feels like a totally unrelated coincidence, but I can’t shake a few things:
• What are the odds that this random string of digits would just so happen to point to real life space exploration mission data, and from THEMIS of all places?

• Typing “WHOIS THEMIS” on the WT site yields the result “Major Sophia Dubois, on assignment with the Atlas Foundation.”

• The documents list: USER_NAME = "murray@olympus”, "murray@mvc10a”

• The code used in the search came with the following text on Waking Titan:

sequence 43b-2g2k-2t16
Transmission 4 of 8
It started with a signal.

A voice cried out across the cosmos, and the
Traveller followed.

• None of the other 7 sequences yield interesting search results.

Now I do not know if the files that came up in the search results for the sequence are the same files shown in the THEMIS image explorer because I can not open QUB files. I would guess that they are the same, but that’s just a guess.

Anybody have any ideas? AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!?

2 Likes

Yes I saw that, too. Sounds like a lot of coincidences. Sounds like too many coincidences.

1 Like

the fact that “whois themis” yields a unique result tells me the files you found are related

Would suggest that the “Old Gods” are code names for individuals working in The Atlas Foundation.

1 Like

Indeed. It does feel like to many coincidences. Tallied up, we have a “random” string bringing up unrelated file names. These correspond to a person. Documents made by Murray, especially with the olympus ending. And the fact that they corresponding message is about a voice across the cosmos (Like idunno… Mars?) and for a traveller to follow. Very interesting.

Nevermind. Do a search for murray@olympus and themis. Way to many things come up for it not to be coincidence. And most of them are .gov endings. So, we may have stumbled onto nothing by accident. lol It was interesting though.

This theory fits well.

From wikipedia:

Themis is an ancient Greek Titaness. She is described as “[the Lady] of good counsel”, and is the personification of divine order, fairness, law, natural law, and custom. Her symbols are the Scales of Justice, tools used to remain balanced and pragmatic. Themis means “divine law” rather than human ordinance, literally “that which is put in place”, from the Greek verb títhēmi (τίθημι), meaning “to put”.

Sounds like it is describing Major Sophia Dubois, or her role in the Atlas organization.

I checked on any “whois” entries for the other Titans (Oceanus, Tethys, Hyperion, Theia, Coeus, Phoebe, Cronus, Rhea, Mnemosyne, Crius, Iapetus) and got “NO RESULTS FOUND” for any of them.

Makes me wonder why “THEMIS” is the only titan that yields a response.

Yeah, feeling like the reddest of herrings atm. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I work in the Satellite Operations field, and THEMIS was a Nasa Satellite (5 of them) used to study the Magnetosphere. They ended the program in 2010ish and moved two of them into a lunar orbit to study moon (how its affected by the sun) they called the new mission ARTEMIS.

Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms (THEMIS)

Maybe they mean this THEMIS???

It happens to all of us. It was good enough for me to buy into it and immediately start looking. That’s the kind of foresight you need in the group. If it doesn’t pan out, whatever. At least it was tried and reviewed. As opposed to something neat missed.

1 Like

So I was checking out more titan names in the whois look-up, and when I got to “WHOIS Adrasteia” the page hung-up.
On a refresh it seems to have gone blank…

1 Like

i just tried typing on greek Titan names because of this:

Themis is the goddess of justice, wisdom and good counsel, the guardian of oaths, and the interpreter of the gods’ will in Greek mythology. The daughter of Uranus (Sky) and Gaia (Earth), she was Zeus’ second consort and the mother of the Horae (the Seasons) and the Moirae (the Fates). Legend also holds that Themis was the mother of Prometheus. [taken from Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms Mission: Tracking the Space Storms Responsible for Triggering Auroras | NASA ] I typed in whois Uranus and the screen froze. now when I refresh all I get it this:

anyone else having issues?

2 Likes

i literally just finished the sequences and typed in calibration and the whole site froze

1 Like

whois atlas
whois metis

1 Like

In that case you crashed it… it wasn’t me :grin:

1 Like

I hope i crashed it. that would be kinda cool haha

Project-wt is down too, it might be a server wide failure lol

LOL if we get an email from Old Gods "jesusondrugz has broke the ARG, Game Over, goodbye
"

Oops. All this talk of scary AI on another thread has upset the almighty ones!
I’m upgrading my tin-foil hat to a tin-foil sombrero :rofl:

2 Likes