Sentinel Surfing - a "sport"? Your pix!

They come in yellow now??

2 Likes

Yep! They also have a standby mode if they spawn naturally on a planet, their legs retract and the head sits on the ground - neat to see them wake up

1 Like

I thought that was “old”, @SingularGleam – remember one of the Early Videos, where it was A Very Dark Night, with the blue-ish / purple-ish veg, the ship was parked on a slight slope, and as the player approached, a walker suddenly stood up, and in the dark we mainly saw its Big Blue Eye…?! :open_mouth:

1 Like

@SingularGleam – I FOUND IT! :smiley:

After some searching… bloody hell LOL

(In case it doesn’t embed nicely, PlayStation’s own “No Man’s Sky : Portal gameplay TRAILER : PS4” is what it’s called…)

You’ll see the EYE from some distance, to the left…

It’s at about the 40sec mark when the Walker suddenly stands up. :sunglasses: :+1:

I find the POSE it adopts, when it does, kinda funny. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep! That is old I guess, pretty much the same as now - little faster maybe in that vid

1 Like

I just recently noticed these spawning together with a building, all folded up and had yet to realise those are actually the big walkers. You can have a good look in photo mode while still flying. As soon as you land they’ll stand up.

8 Likes

Mine was right by a building as well.

1 Like

Excellent capture, @DevilinPixy. :smiley: :+1:

I wonder if there’s any “stealthy” way to approach a “folded” Walker on foot . . .

NMS is kinda “RPG”, but not character-stats-RPG . . .and I don’t think there’s any option for a “quiet” ExoSuit add-on… :wink:
… but that’d be neat, if we were able to “creep up on” (and then climb on top of) a Walker. :smile:

PS - nice lookin fighter you’ve got there; like the way the 3 flight surfaces seem to “match” – it’s a good look. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am not sure, as they require a high wanted level, which the base actually had. In ‘normal’ encounters they tend to disappear when I run off to drop the wanted level and return real quick to hopefully find one still walking about. Might have to try some more, as it would be cool, although I doubt they will return to their fold-up state.

Exactly the reason I got it, the looks :slight_smile: Plenty of them around on my home planet, but the time I bought it was because of being an A-Class with 20 slots, perfect layout, and tech. Was the 2nd ship I bought and could just afford it. See here.

1 Like

I don’t think so, but there’s a way of not so stealthily roasting them with your ship’s guns (they get up in that case too, but there’s not that much they can do…)

1 Like

@Argent-Star correct this was shown in a trailer but walkersbin the wild never made it to launch so we never seen this in action until NEXT

@DevilinPixy
The only time I’ve seen them do this for me in NEXT was when I had a five star, and I hid, because I wanted to show my friend, who is new to the game, how fun it was to follow a walker around as it tries to run away and despawn.

The walker was in its crouched position atop the mountain I ditched it on, but it was on a weird bit of geography causing it to sorta shake so i thought at first it’s legs were just stuck in the mountain.

Said to my friend, ah crap it’s glitched into the mountain, we’ll have to dig it out.

Got a genuine fright when we approached and it just stood up suddenly, looming over us.

Very cool to hear you can find them in the wild like this too :slight_smile:

@SingularGleam do they really come in yellow now or is this a PC mod?

2 Likes

No mods, this is from my Xbox1x

2 Likes

Well… I guess I’m going hunting so :slight_smile:

1 Like

That big boi was on an extreme sentinel planet - there were more walkers and quadras that spawned naturally as well.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Wonder if Yellow Walkers are “XBox Xclusive”? :thinking:

… in which case, have you found any Yellow Quadras yet, @SingularGleam…?? :open_mouth:

Or, maybe Yellow marks sentinels on extreme sentinel planets, only?

Cuuuuurious . . . . .

1 Like

Now that I think of it, I’m pretty sure I have seen yellow lil guys yeah. I’ll keep my eyes out and play with some more over the next couple days - see if I can snag some pics.

1 Like

So perhaps Yellow colouring is related to its Environment / Location . . .

…rather than just being “random”. :wink:

That’d be cool.
Cuz then, when we land somewhere, if we see YELLOW Sentinels, we know we need to be cautious (if the Planetary Info doesn’t already tell us so)…

1 Like

The little guys look the same to me - haven’t found any yellow lil guys yet but I’m not done looking by a long shot. Frenzied Sentinels on this one

6 Likes

I have hit about 20 worlds so far, with no sign of the yellow sentinels - I’m leaning towards wishful thinking on my part or perhaps I was moving the sun in a pic or something. I’m still looking and playing with sentinels in hopes of finding some, the quads jumping at me makes me laugh so I’m having fun searching :smiley:

6 Likes

Good stuff, @SingularGleam. :smiley:
They do look “a bit yellow-ish” in your pic, compared to regular orangey… but perhaps it really is only about the larger units – being fewer in number overall, it would be “easier” to code a subset of them with (different colouring and) different behaviour instruction sets. :wink: :+1:

I guess it would make sense that the ubiquitous Floating Eyes / Drones would just be run-o-th-mill. :slight_smile:

Anyone else got some good Sentinel-Surfing pix for August?

I’ve yet to see someone “ride a(ny) sentinel” over a ravine for example. :stuck_out_tongue:
(It would take more patience than most have - possibly/probably?! - to ( a ) wait for a sentinel to be ‘accessible’,
( b ) take the time to Get On Top Of It, and ( c ) w-a-i-t around while it does its semi-randomised floating . . .)

@DevilinPixy’s capture of a Hunched (folded) Walker on the edge of a ravine was pretty cool – esp as it was “squatting correctly” for the terrain – its uphill “knee” was actually higher for having that foot higher up! :+1:

@Xion4012 has an excellent “close-up” shot of themselves atop a Walker (cut in close to a view of its head).
In fact, TWO shots; one where he’s literally GETTING SHOT. :scream: Hard to get. :+1: :+1: :+1: Very revealing…

Of course, @SingularGleam also gets shot whilst Sentinel Surfing:open_mouth: … atop a Quadra. :smiley:
A true photographic journalist – taking ALL the risks to get the Story and the Photo.
Peter Parker, eat your heart out!

@DevilinPixy’s “Here’s a Bone, now MUSH!” edit is brilliantly amusing. :smiley: :+1:

I now have a Big Question:

What’s the big, extra chunky stuff on the right side of this Yellow Walker @SingularGleam captured?!?
(Left in the image… Compare to the great views of the Hunched one @DevilinPixy caught.)

THIS pic shows the “Purest” form of Sentinel Surfing:

Wonder how high/low it is off the ground…? That’s another @SingularGleam entry. :wink:

@projectcartwheel gets THE CLOSEST WE’VE SEEN (so far) to a Space Sentinel; I’d think we CAN “allow” this kinda pic via"Surfing the ‘Wake’ of a (Space) Sentinel". Any objections? :stuck_out_tongue: Let us know below.

Got a snap of yourself Sentinel Surfing? Let’s have it! :smiley: :+1:

Peace … :heart:

2 Likes