Sean Murray Spoke at Develop: Brighton July 9th , 2019

I wouldn’t say this necessarily means disaster. I believe he just doesn’t want to add more of the same just to have more, like many skin packs, collectables and whatnot in other games. Adding more variety requires to make sense, not become an abundance without a true need. I am sure they are more than willing to add more variety, if it is part of a creative new idea, required for a new content update, or otherwise truly fits the game.

I am sure the new ray tracing technology can be useful, although I personally doubt it is required for NMS to generate realistic lighting considering the somewhat artsy throw-back to a Sci-Fi era. The technology can however be used in other ways as well, which could certainly help boost performance.

4 Likes
7 Likes

There’s been a definite shift in Sean’s language though. Before, it was always “We will continue to update No Man’s Sky” now its: We MAY keep updating it IF we have creative ideas to continue working on.

4 Likes

I’d rather say there is increased emphasis on that part. He said essentially the same thing at the launch of NEXT, now it’s just more in the foreground.
But yeah, I have no doubt that NMS development will be winding down over the next years. This might be the last “big one” we get, and the smaller ones will probably start to be further apart. Judging by the coarse timeline of 5 to 6 years that he gives for their new project, it is reasonable to assume that that project will require most to all of their resources in 3 to 4 years. Until then, however, the whole crew still needs things to do.
If the new project is similar in nature to NMS in any way, it is even possible that they’ll use NMS as a testbed for new systems, so I think we’ll still see a fair bit of development over the coming years.

4 Likes

Edit: Added video, which I did not know was already up :wink:
Hopefully a full video soon

9 Likes

When I saw that picture, I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million memes were made, and then suddenly posted.

10 Likes

I have added a time stamp to jump to the Sean Murray part

I am still hoping to see an upload for the full ‘keynote’, although looking at the history on the Develop Conference channel, I only see short clips …

6 Likes
6 Likes

and that is the big secret? boobs?

3 Likes

Hey, we have been asking for more female-like characters haven’t we? :grinning:

1 Like

And have gotten them, I think?

3 Likes

Well, a slightly slimmer suit…and maybe a few Vy’Keens with lipstick? :smile: and, of course, female Travellers who play the game. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

My memory may be faulty but since I’ve been playing I remember there have always been Vy’keens that wore lipstick. Not sure if they were femmes though. Hard to tell with Vy’Keens especially ;`)

2 Likes

Yes, I believe you are correct. I am also sure it is not actually lipstick, probably something they just ate. :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, all the Vy’keen would need to become the ultimate glam rockers is a good wig… :smile:

3 Likes

New video uploaded a couple of hours ago:

9 Likes

I’ve never seen him look more irish than he does in that thumbnail, he’s slowly transforming into my cousin Patrick :relaxed:

5 Likes

Took a while, but finally…

12 Likes