NMS Press Coverage

Since positive articles about NMS are much more common now, it is time for a thread dedicated to sharing these articles.
With new spacewhales and other trippy cool stuff headed for NMS space, I thought this would be a good article to begin with.

8 Likes

Article talking about the future of NMS

8 Likes

“But that’s typical of the way we do a lot of things,” Murray continues. “People have freedom to try stuff out, and if it captures the imagination of the team then we all get on board and run with it. It’s great when a concept drawing then inspires someone else to think of new gameplay to go with it, or a new story, or some new rendering technique we might need, whatever it sparks in them.”

Dear Hello Games employees, is there a way I could interest any one of you in starting to experiment with procedural narrative? :laughing:

4 Likes

Which procedural narrative do you want? Emergent narrative would be kind of difficult to do in multiplayer. Unless if everyone keeps his own. But I have to say I don’t understand the topic really.

1 Like

Procedural narrative is almost entirely uncharted territory. We don’t really know what works best for what yet. It’s clear that NMS couldn’t go a simulationist approach, but its already fuzzy world would lend itself beautifully to a dispersed emulationist approach, I think.

We already have that, actually, even for lore-specific stuff. The world where Hirk and Nal had their dispute, for example, is a different one for each player. And you can even change it while doing the mission by warping away and relocating it. NMS gives jack all about any spacial integrity of its narrative space, which would actually very, very much simplify the whole thing.

I’m currently experimenting with a mix between a very coarse simulationist approach on a high level and an emulationist approach to fill in the details, but with a high requirement for spacial and temporal integrity, since my main objective is on history generation. Using the emulationist part in a very fuzzy system like NMS to generate the occasional story for the player to experience, and even to have them interlink and call back to each other would seem a lot more simple than what I’m trying to do with the thing…

2 Likes

CBR - Comic Book Resources: No Man’s Sky: Tips, Tricks & Strategies for New Players | CBR.

5 Likes
5 Likes

“Hello Games says this week will mark "the first major moment of what will hopefully transpire to be an eventful summer for us and for the No Man’s Sky community.” (Quote from https://twitter.com/PeacefulGamer/status/1270714367139438595)

4 Likes
2 Likes