Need Help, Something's Wrong

Anyone understand why i get this sometimes when wanting to post a reply? Because I’ve posted alot of replies less than 10 characters before.

2 Likes

Strange. I have as well, but have never gotten that message. Maybe if you’ve already posted a few comments less than 10 characters that day, it starts warning you?

1 Like

It’s always been there - but I suspect that, like the message flags, sometimes it doesn’t work.

If you send a post of less than 10 characters and you don’t get that message, that’s actually an error.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the advice!
It’s just really annoying when i get it lol.

1 Like

The reasons go back to the start of ETARC. It was designed as a discussion group, not as a chat room.

As such, it tries to prevent users from filling up the threads with one-word (or one letter) comments. It will only allow you to post if you have something substantial to say, and carry the discussion forwards.

4 Likes

Maybe this forum also follows the reputation guidelines…like many other forums: You earn the right/privilege to post short messages IF you spread the Karmic-Love by Liking messages posted by other members. Hence why the secondary “Have you tried the :heart: button?”

So maybe you’ve liked a few messages then posted a less-than-10-char. message. Since you had built up enough positive-energy, it allowed you to do so. But when you did, the positive-karma was used up…like a token…and you have to earn the right again.

Just guessing on this. -)

TQQdles™

P.s. “What’s with all the Negative Waves, man? Always with the Negative Waves…” - Oddball

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

The character limit of minimal 10 has always been there as @Polyphemus mentioned earlier. It does however depend on how your typing is interpreted. The icon above for example does work on it’s own, as it internally contains enough characters. There is no way to bypass this limit through likes or trust level, unless you’d be an admin I guess. It is just the general default Discourse uses.

2 Likes

‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬ ‬‬

FYI: I used a “trick” to post a blank message. I’m NOT going to explain how I did it…except to the Admins here.

I’ve been an online game tester since 1985 and I stick to the original “honesty” which game testers lived by…all Exploits are reported to the Admins/Devs and never shared with any fellow testers. These days, testers find exploits…never report them…then use them when the game releases and blames the Devs for not finding them in the first place! >.<

TQQdles™

At least it is more than 10 characters, even though it may not look like it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:laughing:

As demonstrated above, short single phrase answers aren’t really polite conduct in normal forum chat other than when everyone is fast-phrasing during a waking Titan puzzle session. Then it’s kind of normal.
A nice one to use when you run out of likes is something like:

@DevilinPixy :heart:

That acknowledges the person but is done in a matter of quick simple keystrokes grabbing off the autofill menu when it pops up.
typing @ d e gets the auto name “mention” to pop up,
and typing : h e gets the heart to pop up.

2 Likes