Musk Buys Twitter 🚨

504 is a gateway timeout. It means that your request was received by the gateway, but the server behind the gateway did not respond.
Can mean that they have some transitive issue with their server, or can mean they’re simply getting too much traffic. When you get 504 there’s decent chances that it will work better tomorrow…

5 Likes

Reuters: Mastodon: What is the social network hailed as a Twitter alternative?.

3 Likes

It’s a crazy world out there right now. (Not that it hasn’t always been, but I think we need some reminders that there is still decency out there.)

Thanks for the heads-up. :+1:

4 Likes

In context with Mastodon (a type of elephant), if you hear people use the word tröt (toot), it means a „tweet“ on Mastodon. Because in German that’s the sound an elephant makes, trrrröööööt!

5 Likes

:laughing: German elephants. Of all the things to name something after.
I have signed up but feel really lost on the platform.

Apparently Musk rescinded the Official tag right after enabling it…quite a mess he has on his hands…

3 Likes

“Please note that Twitter will do lots of dumb things in coming months,” [Musk] tweeted. “We will keep what works & change what doesn’t.”

Ok. So… Looks like Musk is not working. Gotta go!

:japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Now he is threatening bankruptcy…

So far, my twitter feed has seen more ads than ever before. I have ‘lost’ the more prominant NMS tweeters but found slews of everyday players. That is okay but the more prominant ones were where I got the latest news etc…
I will hang on til the bitter end.

4 Likes

::Watches sadly but with great respect as @sheralmyst slowly but proudly sinks down with the sinking ship…::

5 Likes

giphy

5 Likes
1 Like

So word is, there are almost no techs over very important areas and Twitter will basically stop working at any time. So here is a nice, although somewhat confusing NMS corner to run to on mastadon

joingeeksocial.com

3 Likes

Spellcheck title. (though it may actually be more accurate) ;`)

2 Likes

:rofl: well, you’re not too blind. I cannot type on my phone…thanks!

1 Like

Yeah. My eyes are blind, but my brain has become pretty good at deciphering visual information. ;`)

I know about typing on phones, so I never do it.

You are welcome. lol

1 Like
1 Like

I wonder if the “grey” accounts were supposed to be “silver”…?

1 Like

Does seem an odd color choice but gold and silver are often related to placement like 1st and 2nd place so maybe they wanted to avoid that comparison

1 Like

:scream: here we go

2 Likes

So I met up with a friend of mine from Houston over the weekend and she had some insight from deep in the heart of Musk territory. The general consensus is that Musk bought Twitter with the aim of collapsing it. He has the money to spare and could always file bankruptcy anyway. It really is the only theory that makes any sense…but who knows

4 Likes

He seems a bit too narcissistic for that, to be honest. I think it more likely that he just completely underestimated the complexity of an operation like twitter. First and foremost the legal complexity. Most of his decisions were very business oriented: Raising a fee for a popular feature, and disbanding teams that had no productive value. It’s by far not uncommon for a new owner, especially one that tends to be full of himself.
He just didn’t realise that many of the “non-productive” teams were extremely valuable to the company, some upholding trust from advertisers and some making sure that legal requirements for code standards were met, due to the special circumstances of Twitter.

Somebody probably told him all that, but like anybody liking to think of themselves as a brilliant hard-ass businessman he probably thought they were just making excuses to justify the existence of their non-productive jobs and went ahead anyways. It all fits pretty well with Musks personality, really.

Be that as it may, I do congratulate him on his success anyways. With him dismantling Twitter and Zuck driving facebook into the ground while being posessed by the metaverse, we may yet see an end to this whole unsocial media madness. It’s an optimistic expectation, to be sure, but one can hope…

7 Likes