Musk Buys Twitter 🚨

This had me in tears. :sob:

:rofl:

3 Likes

So funny! But also very weird.
Gotta love the sanpuku eyes too, (though I suspect he was really just reading his speech notes from a monitor above the camera.

2 Likes

$20/mo for a verified check by your name. Team must have it ready by Nov 7 or be fired

IGN: Twitter Reportedly Planning to Charge $20 per Month for Verification, Even For Those Already Verified.

1 Like

Now that seems very, very unwise… :man_facepalming:
There’s so many things that can go wrong here, for many software companies it would even be a challenge to just get the necessary changes through the approval pipeline in that time. If Musk is going to mess with development this directly and this unscrupulous, there’s rough times ahead for twitter devs and users alike…

4 Likes

The rich kid has a new toy it seems. >.>

2 Likes

Yes, but I also expected the rich kid to have a better understanding of software development, given how he got rich…

3 Likes

If you give the bird some raptor engines, something is bound to go wrong …

4 Likes

I assume you all already know the replacement, https://mastodon.social? :smirk:

PS: here’s poor little guy reposting NMS news https://mastodon.social/@nomanssky@lemmy.ml

1 Like

Mastodon?

I’ve got cognitive dissonance now… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Brain computer interface and autopilot employees now working on twitter
CNBC: Elon Musk has pulled more than 50 Tesla employees into his Twitter takeover.

2 Likes

Looks like they’re hired for doing code reviews, which can make sense, especially considering that Tesla is one hell of a software company. Still, the rush and ridiculous pressure he’s putting up here won’t end very well.

4 Likes

Most social media and multimedia sites allegedly run at a loss (I don’t know about Twitter specifically), let’s think this through: Hosting, video streaming, push notifications, international load balancing, SEO, chat/forums/etc., bot defense. You can get your own server but then you have to set up all of that yourself, your readers will not accept anything less. All these features have become affordable, and people on Twitter/Facebook/IG/etc. suddenly expect to pay zero cost to read the news and to store their cat videos. :wink:
Big companies thought advertising would pay for it, well, does it? Because if there is no financial gain, nobody actually wants to host your cat videos…

In that respect E.M. is right, Twitter gave features for free and didn’t get anything back. He can innocently blame the bot infestation on the old management and distance himself and start over… It’ll be a thin line for him to find out which features are important enough that people would pay for them. Many social sites have died out because we have no financial model that works (yet).

The other extreme: In Germany there is a “tax” that is specifically used to support free public TV and radio (including their online offers). The journalists get paid properly but you have no choice in what you’ll get (e.g. I don’t like the soap operas produced with that money :person_shrugging:).

We don’t want only “rich” people to be able to speak publicly (people who can either afford their own hosting or pay a service like Twitter for a tick mark).

Would you be willing to pay an “Internet tax” (would be part of your phone bill) that goes into an account and every time you open a news article or watch a video, “one penny” is transferred to the author — if that made social media, online education, and news ad-free and sustainable? Is that a pipe dream? Any other (better) ideas how to solve this?

3 Likes

Sure. Just throw it in with the myriad of taxes already there. Likely, very few would ever notice. :smile:

3 Likes

Half of twitter to be jobless on Friday the other half ordered back to the office. No more remote working.
It is difficult to find the NMS threads now. We are all getting stuff in our feeds we don’t want. Some have left. More will likely leave. There is a NMS community feed on twitter that is, so far, intact.
New verified pricing may start Monday. Will feature less ads, longer videos.
Paid video posts said to be in the works…but you can post videos on YT for free so, will that work?

Twitter offices closed for the day as people await the pink slip…by email…lawsuits being filed

3 Likes

This is awful.
TechCrunch: Elon Musk just axed key Twitter teams like human rights, accessibility, AI ethics and curation.

5 Likes

:frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face:

WTF! Are we going back to the stone age? Seems ironic somehow.

2 Likes

Apparently, he has asked some who were fired, to return…

1 Like

Some moving here

Or here

4 Likes

The terms of service of Tribel seem to be… evil, for lack of a better term. You give them ownership of literally anything you post. For art, that means that Tribel can license your art without even asking you, much less paying you. That includes any photos of friends and family you post on the site, in case you’re wondering.

And they explicitly include any private information in that deal. Like, the TOS pretty much states outright that they will sell your information to advertisers, and that they will throw adds at you wherever they feel like it.
I guess there’s something refreshing in a TOS this honest, but it’s not a place you want to post anything, as far asI can tell.

5 Likes

Thanks for that insight. I have only looked at mastadon and it seems near impossible to set up an account. I keep getting a 504 but nothing to indicate what that is…

3 Likes