Twitter access

I don’t have a Twitter account. That’s OK - whilst I couldn’t post anything, I could still read other people’s messages. It was handy for for seeing what Sean Murray was saying, and, lately, Greg Buchanan.

Today I find that suddenly I can no longer read Tweets. All I get is a prompt to open my own account (which, of course, I’m not going to do).

Is this a change in Twitter’s policy?

6 Likes

It used to do this, you’d scroll a bit and then get a prompt to create an account if you want to read further.

Then I noticed recently it went away which was nice, I could peep a few more sean tweets now.

Guess it’s back on. Probably has something to do with having a toddler billionaire for an owner changing their mind on a whim.

Another_Monty_Picture.PNG

4 Likes

toddler billionaire?

Personally I think a guy who risks his own money to say what he thinks is pretty awesome. Unlike many people, especially Celebs and Politicians, will lie right to your face, if it makes them a dollar. But hey mileage will vary.

5 Likes

As long as the previews keep working…sometimes they do not

https://twitter.com/MaxF1988f/status/1674435823574618116?t=5T_fgplTsQ-sMTIjpok0pg&s=19

Hmmm…I guess I will screenshot them

I keep getting a survey. Says ‘only a few have been chosen for this survey’ … riiight

4 Likes

FWIW current twitter is way better under this management and improving all the time

4 Likes

It won’t be a temporary measure, I’m sure they fully intend to make the change permanent.

6 Likes

Hooray, now the data trawlers will have their script set up to create an email and a profile to then gain access to quantitive data on online discourse.

The problem hasn’t gone away just now they can bolster their user figures with it at investor meetings :3

I’m curious now, is there a place you can see a visualisation of twitter account sign ups? I suspect to see a massive spike following this implementation ’ ^ _ ^

4 Likes

I haven’t opened Twitter recently, but I heard that he wants to prevent automated scripts from downloading Twitter posts in bulk, for example, to train neural networks. Or anyway, make it harder to automate.

E.g. OpenAI had to wait for reddit and stackexchange and twitter to become successful to train chatGPT on them to get a viable product that OpenAI/Microsoft then can sell.

(If someone copies my portfolio from my webpage and uses it on theirs to attract customers, is that the same case?)

You mean his parents’ money that he used to buy companies and then kept the revenue of the ones he didn’t run into the wall? With enough tenacity and business sense, you, me, each single one of us could use our parents’ money to gamble on investments–why are you not doing it already? :smirk:

PS: I feel that there are parallels in these two topics :grin:

6 Likes

From Mashable
It’s unclear exactly what Musk is referring to, but he’s likely talking about web scrapers that pull data from websites without requiring any official API to do so. (After all, Twitter’s API is now severely limited and costs a minimum of $42,000 per month for most use cases.)

6 Likes

Too bad so sad. These “App developers” have been using the data they take from these platforms like twitter so they could share their harvested data with each other. All while creating lists to use for what ever their intended oppression is against the targets they don’t want existing. Elon knows more than any of us when it comes to the platform of twitter, and is most likely preventing the sharing of personal information by the groups who could have caused the last few years of targeted attacks and lockdowns…

Imagine being denied a table at a restaurant by some server all because of some comment said on a platform somewhere the cultist don’t like. Or having a Lease or loan denied because someone has access to the oppressors lists… Data sharing for reasons other than the apps intended purpose need to be stopped.

4 Likes

Seems theres a wee data war going on around twitter. Its not about us, we’re just the audience

4 Likes

…And the collateral damage, apparently :laughing:

6 Likes

5 Likes

He’s speedrunning the annihilation of one of the world’s most influential social medias. Impressive.

5 Likes

I have to wonder about people that can read more than 1000 tweets per day, though. That’s not healthy. To me that limit feels more like a mercy than a restriction…

9 Likes

i don’t care if it started with his parents money, the banks, whatever. He still risks money every time he opens his mouth. Not many people would do that. $$ is too important to many people, and is too much a driving force in their lives, to the point they will lie and betray their own morality to keep it.

3 Likes

that’s the risk you take trying to destroy an echo chamber.

Personally I think ALL Social Media has made the world worse.

3 Likes

Maybe a small exaggeration. Certainly all social media has the potential to make things worse, but hey, we’re discussing the problem on social media.

5 Likes

Thought this was an interesting post, offering another perspective on the whole thing.

5 Likes

Hardly call a forum social media…that like saying party chat phones were also. Hey Dial up Bulletin Boards didn’t cause the chaos face book and twitter does. But is it the fault of the tech?
No.
Its humanity. We are not maturing fast enough as a race to our tech. I mean people still fight and die over what other people feel and believe. Not just over actions. Not just over harmful destructive behavior. Thoughts.

2 Likes